pocster

XBMC remote desktop?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi all,

I know you can set the pi up and have a remote desktop via mac/pc
But can you have a remote XBMC???
You can <ip address> into it for basic stuff - but can you have the full functionality via microsoft's remote desktop or similar?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Cloudcentric

Re: XBMC remote desktop?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:12 pm

It may be of help if you let us know what Operating System you have installed

Xbian
Openelec
Raspbmc
XBMC installed on top of Arch or Raspbian
I know everything about nothing"

pocster

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:18 am

Hi,

Currently have Raspbmc.
I *assumed* the method (assuming this is possible) relies more on XBMC and so the distro is of lesser importance.

Cheers

Spid

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 am

Openelec and Raspbmc have different Linux base systems.

Openelec was created as an all-in-one Media Center Distribution and ported to the Pi's ARMv6 Architecture.

Raspbmc is basically Raspbian + XMBC (which is feasible) created as an all-in-one Media Distribution.

So you are seeking a VNC or RDP Client to install on the Pi, or do you want the Pi to be a VNC / RDP Server ?
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

pocster

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

Well I looked into VNC. And got a bit confused; does it only allow control of the desktop??
I want XBMC to 'appear' on my mac i.e. raspbmc xbmc in a window.
I tried installing tinyvnc (I think) and rasp - and it claimed to work. But when I tried connecting through remote desktop on my mac I got constantly connection refused.
So I assumed I couldn't use this method for xbmc - I suspect my understanding is so what wrong!! :shock:

superdesi

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Can this be done? I also would like to view the xbmc screen remotely.

Basically, the Pi would be at home running OpenElec and I want to be able to login from work and see the XBMC gui as it is displayed on the screen at home.

topguy

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:34 pm

superdesi wrote:Can this be done?
Its unlikely. The xbmc menu is probably drawn in a GLES accelerated framebuffer, and this is not something VNC (or most other Remote Desktop) protocols handles very well.

And even if you had an VNC server with access to that framebuffer its unlikely that you would get any good performance because the process of compressing the image and sending it would be heavy on the CPU, and XMBC is already quite heavy to run on a Pi.

superdesi

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks topguy. I guess I will just have to settle with using a command prompt with ssh.

pharm1025

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Does anyone know if VNC could be enabled on any of the XBMC bulids (rasbmc, openelec, xbian) for the purposes of using something like HippoRemote. I don't need screen sharing, but my wife prefers to use hipporemote on her phone, and it requires a vnc server to connect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

topguy

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 pm

pharm1025 wrote:Does anyone know if VNC could be enabled on any of the XBMC bulids (rasbmc, openelec, xbian) for the purposes of using something like HippoRemote. I don't need screen sharing, but my wife prefers to use hipporemote on her phone, and it requires a vnc server to connect.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I dont think it would help you to enable VNC just for controlling mouse and keyboard, it dosnt work quite like that on Linux, you would move the mouse around on a not visible desktop and not on the XBMC. I would suggest using a xmbc-remote app instead.

pharm1025

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Okay. Figured I had to ask. I've a really large media collection so the more visual apps can be a bit slow at times. Fortunately I have a CEC compliant tv so my wife is fine with using the tv remote.

Thanks for the response though.

Return to “Media centres”