eix

Compiling omxplayer on raspbian - what a horrible journey

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 pm

This is not the first time I adventure into compiling omxplayer, but probably the last. Today I tried to dig deeper and not stop until I could get a working version; I probably should have picked an older commit than the most recent one.

What I discovered today is that:
  1. I need more recent ffmpeg to compile omxplayer. fine. got that by using make ffmpeg (also several more tweaking there)
  2. needed to apply a fix for BOOST_NOEXCEPT missing definition (not a big bug, but didn't submit this, it's an easy one)
  3. the most recent omxplayer uses the most recent raspberry firmware. fine, got that
  4. the most recent firmware needs linux 3.6 (raspbian is at 3.2). I stopped there :cry: also because while compiling the kernel I got a kernel panic (possibly the new firmware)
Can somebody point me to a fork that is mantained and works on raspbian?

eix

Re: Compiling omxplayer on raspbian - what a horrible journe

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 pm

My goal is to get rid of the encapsulating shell script which makes it impossible to use it in other scripts. I realize it's a sort of hack from/to xbmc, but.. :?

eix

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I've just tried torarin's fork, also broken. Basically there is some weirdness that will not compile in his mailbox code..

JollyRoger

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi eix

The latest Linux for Raspbian is at 3.6, not 3.2. Do rpi-update to get it.

What you're up to (compiling omxplayer) is completely beyond my capabilities, I'm afraid, but the best of luck. My main gripe with the existing omxplayer is it ignores the overscan settings in my config.txt and so produces a picture with an incorrect aspect ratio - it's not wildly out, but enough to irritate.

henle

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

eix wrote:I've just tried torarin's fork, also broken. Basically there is some weirdness that will not compile in his mailbox code..
It uses some recently implemented C++11 features, are you using GCC 4.7?

Return to “Media centres”