m4rky

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am

I have been using my Squeezeplug wirelessly happily for months but I have recently changed my Wireless router so the SSID and Key have changed.

Now I cannot get it to work wirelessly.
I have put in a network cable. Then used SSH to access the pi. Ran Setup and gone into the config and changed the wireless SSID and key.
It then asks me to activate, so I choose Activate LAN and WLAN. Then reboot.
When it comes back up the LAN still works but no WLAN.
Running ifconfig shows no ip against the WLAN config.

Any ideas?

jeremyroebuck

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 am

you could try changing the SSID & password of your new router to those for the old router. I have many wireless devices & it's much quicker to change the router than change all the devices

m4rky

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

That would be a bit of a pain for me as the squeezeplug is the last device to be changed (I have done 7 other devices).
Plus I have changed the wireless config on the squeezeplug now so reverting back probably won;t work either.

Thanks anyway

pinnen

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm

aperry wrote:
pinnen wrote: Yes, up & running!
Many thanks for your help aperry, I owe you a beer.
Awesome, glad it worked! Now if you can manage to get both Shairplay and Squeezelite running together on the RaspberryPi then I'd be psyched. I still can't seem to get Shairplay to play any music when Squeezelite is installed.
I tried to install Shairport on Squeezeplug Hard Float where I had Squeezelite up & running. And it seems to work I guess. I verify this by running the Spotify app from my Ipad and there I can choose to play the music on the "AirPi" :)
I think I have to have the squeezelite player turned off but I haven't tried it so much yet but I just wanted to tell you it's running here.

aperry

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:45 pm

pinnen wrote:
aperry wrote:
pinnen wrote: Yes, up & running!
Many thanks for your help aperry, I owe you a beer.
Awesome, glad it worked! Now if you can manage to get both Shairplay and Squeezelite running together on the RaspberryPi then I'd be psyched. I still can't seem to get Shairplay to play any music when Squeezelite is installed.
I tried to install Shairport on Squeezeplug Hard Float where I had Squeezelite up & running. And it seems to work I guess. I verify this by running the Spotify app from my Ipad and there I can choose to play the music on the "AirPi" :)
I think I have to have the squeezelite player turned off but I haven't tried it so much yet but I just wanted to tell you it's running here.

Thanks! I can get both to run at the same time, and I can send music to Shairplay, but the sound never comes out. I would speculate that Squeezelite and Shairplay each try to take control of the sound device, and whichever one starts first is the winner. I was hoping to have them both running together such that I can beam music from my iPhone when nothing is playing via Squeezlite (without manually stopping any servers). But maybe this isn't possible.

dummy

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 am

Any idea how to get LCD (16x2 or any other, Nokia...) to display the name of the currently playing song? I'm using SqueezeLite (or any other if it would help to change) and I want some API to query the player for the name of the song. I will create my own shell/python script which will poll the info (and share it here if it is any good). Did someone already did this?

sprint95

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am

Hi all,

Lets start by a short explanation, I want to use squeezeplug for my multiroom system, knowing that all should be driven by my house automation system (lifedomus for some who knows such french system)

Anyway, I downloaded the image (latest) and burn it on a 8 Go Samsung sd card which is OK from the wiki.
I cannont succeed to get the rapsberry to boot. Only red light, fixed is apearing.
I'm not a pro of rapsberry so I would appreciate few advices that I have may by skip during my trials.
I have also tried with rapsbian image and in that case, the system starts.
Any idea ?

Thanks a lot for help
Thierry

jeremyroebuck

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 am

what software did you use to burn the image?

drgeoff

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:49 pm

@sprint95

Are you using a recently delivered 512 Mbyte RPi? Have a close look at the chip in the middle of the board - the large square one between the HDMI and composite video sockets. Does it say 'Hynix'. If yes, then your problem may be http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3534.

The cure is http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 46#p318346. Copy (overwrite) start.elf and bootcode.bin from the Raspian card to the squeezeplug one.

tom-pi

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 pm

I've got 6 pi's, the last two I've purchased have problems with some cards that work in the other three, I'd suspect the card.

Tom
Last edited by tom-pi on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom-pi

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm

I'll check the chip on mine that have a problem, and if so give the fix a try.

Thanks,

Tom

sprint95

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm

@drgeoff :
It looks like really the problem I'm facing. My Raspberry are brand new so I will check this tonight once at home. Thank you for the tips.

@jeremyroebuck
I have used the software proposed by squeezeplus site : USB Tool. Even if I'm a mac user, I mananged to use a PC for that.

@tom-pi
I bought wrong card first (4Go Kingston) but I have checked on wiki which one is OK to by one already "validated". The card is working with Raspbian latest version, it's with Squeezeplug that I can boot.

Thank to all of you, I will check today if the problem is fixed with update of bootloader.

Thierry

aperry

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Wow, you guys just saved me a return trip to Microcenter and a fair amount of frustration. I bought a second Raspi the other day and couldn't get it to work. I was confident that if my other Raspi cards and power sources were not working on the new one then it much be broken. I've had it sitting in the box for two days waiting to return it to the store.

Just loaded the newest Openelec onto the new card and it works! Thanks!!

By the way, for those in the US, Microcenter carries the Raspi in-store! I got the last one in Boston, but they may still be on the shelves at other locations.

sprint95

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Hy Guys,

I have updated my sd card with the bootload and start files with version available on Raspbian image. I have plugged the sd card on my raspberry, connect the power and ... nothing happens !
Red light and just a short flash of the green one.
Did I do something bad ?

I have received my Raspberry one week ago. So I think the hardware should be quite new no ?
I have the reference of the card (back of the card) : E0913RS2V13B1.0
Is there somebody who has some knowledge and information on how I can make it work with squeezeplug ?

Thanks
Thierry

drgeoff

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:22 am

sprint95 wrote:Hy Guys,

I have updated my sd card with the bootload and start files with version available on Raspbian image. I have plugged the sd card on my raspberry, connect the power and ... nothing happens !
Red light and just a short flash of the green one.
Did I do something bad ?

I have received my Raspberry one week ago. So I think the hardware should be quite new no ?
I have the reference of the card (back of the card) : E0913RS2V13B1.0
Is there somebody who has some knowledge and information on how I can make it work with squeezeplug ?
Thanks
Thierry
Does your RPi have Hynix or Samsung RAM chip? If Samsung then updating start.elf and bootcode.bin would not be necessary. If Hynix, my first guess is that you made some error. Suggest you install squeezeplug v6 again and replace start.elf and bootcode.bin again.

tom-pi

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 am

Thanks, for the info on the updated files.

I checked the problem pi's and they have the new chip, the new files solved the problem!

Tom

sprint95

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:03 am

It looks like really to be Hynix. And frankly speaking, I'm ready to retry but copy 2 files on one SD card, I do not see how I could have done a mistake.
Anyway, to test again, I will take latest squeezeplus and replace bootload and start files by the Raspbian one.
I'll let you know
Thierry
drgeoff wrote: Does your RPi have Hynix or Samsung RAM chip? If Samsung then updating start.elf and bootcode.bin would not be necessary. If Hynix, my first guess is that you made some error. Suggest you install squeezeplug v6 again and replace start.elf and bootcode.bin again.

sprint95

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 am

tom-pi wrote:Thanks, for the info on the updated files.

I checked the problem pi's and they have the new chip, the new files solved the problem!

Tom
New files mean the one from latest Raspbian dated from Feb 2013 ?
Thierry

tom-pi

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:48 am

Yes, 9 February 2013.

Tom

CommanderROR

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

Hi folks,

I have a very persistent problem with my Pi running Squeezeplug (LMS and Squeezelite) and a Samba Server for Media files. The Samba share is on a 1TB HDD connected to an active USB hub, running as EXT4. Sound output is done via an Aureon Dual USB soundcard. All these components work well together, no problems in daily use.

The problem is, everything runs fine, but as soon as I stream one or more files from the Samba Share via MiniDLNA (same problem with MediaTomb as far as I could tell) the Squeezelite service goes mad and eats up almost 100% of the Processor time. It does not matter if Squeezelite is actively playing at the time or not. I have tried this with various versions of Squeezelite and LMS and also updated the RPI firmware to latest. Also using latest Squeezeplug version.
This is reproducible, happens pretty much every time.
Copying files to the Samba share does not seem to kick this off, however, when saving recordings from my TV server directly to the Pi (means the file arrives slowly, like streaming) also tends to set this off. The problem seems to be a file being slowly transferred via network...however strange that might sound.

Killing Squeezelite brings everything back to life btw. I'm completely lost and confused and hope somebody will be able to help me fix this since it makes an almost perfect system pretty unuseable.
I don't know which log would be useful, just tell me what you need and I'll try to provide it. Be gentle though, I'm still not all that good a Linux... ;)

Thanks.

CommanderROR

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Ok,
Maybe a workaround for now could help...but I'll need some help.
How about a watchdog that checks if squeezelite is still responsive?
Once it goes mad and starts eating CPU cycles like potato crisps it is no longer reachable from LMS.
So, how do I have tongo about doing this?
I'd need the wdog to check for responsiveness, then kill and restart squeezelite.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

woi_doi

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm writing this to share some experiences I have been having with Squeezeplug 6, Logitechmediaserver, squeezeslave and squeezelite.
As mentioned in a previous post I have been having continuing problems with my set-up, 512Mb Pi,
logitech media server, squeezelite, all on a 4GB Integral SD card. I also have the little USB DAC
that Truehl recommended for a Christmas present (great sound from this by the way).

I would install it all wth no problems, add in my USB drive of music and everything as Bowie would
say would be Hunky Dory.

But after a couple of hours, the Pi would become barely responsive. Either LMS or Squeezelite
would start going mad and gobble up as much CPU as they could. I noticed that the error messaging service would also start increasing in CPU. Anyway after many reboots, reloads and starting from scratch, installing everything again, I was getting a little fed up with all this and in fact had stopped using Squeezplug altogether, which was a pity as I really had become used to hearing internet radio through my ancient stereo!

I had tried various things to fix the problem, many suggested by the good people on this forum. I tried updating Raspbian, installing latest nightly builds of LMS etc. Things would improve for a few hours and then the same problem again.

Coming back to the problem recently, I decided to try another LMS nightly but was surprised to find that apt-get couldn't comply as the SD card was full. Strange. I tried deleting the X window stuff but no joy there either. That bugged me, as I was not adding anything directly onto the card, music etc.
I knew the command "dmesg" would tell me of there was anything strange going on in the background, so I typed that in and got page after page of the following :-

"[ 393.188081] delay: estimated 0, actual 221
[ 393.196082] delay: estimated 0, actual 220
[ 393.204091] delay: estimated 0, actual 220
[ 393.212085] delay: estimated 0, actual 221
etc...."

Now I've no idea what that means but I'm wondering is it something to do with the buffering that's enabled for USB dacs but I do think it's messing LMS and/or Squeezelite up.

The only thing I could think of was error message log files. I'm only a year tinkering with linux so had to do a bit of trawling to find out where they would be stored.

I found this page :- http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... an-404616/
and discovered the /var/log/ directory. Typing "ls" in a sh terminal showed me a lot of error logs in
there both current and zipped up old ones. I took that page's advice and typed a few of these commands to clean them out.

"
cat /dev/null > /var/log/messages
cat /dev/null > /var/log/wtmp
cat /dev/null > /var/log/maillog
etc..

this will delete the contents of the file without removing the file itself
or changing any of it's permissions.
Repeat as necessary for each log file, write into a bash script whatever..
then delete all the numbered log files ( i.e. messages.1.tar.gz ) which are old logs
that have been backed up from logrotate or a similar app.
"

After a reboot, my Pi became responsive again so that step seemed useful. That page mentioned
an app called logrotate which I assume is running on the Pi, but maybe it's not rotating quickly enough and is just filling up the SD card, especially if the Pi is not running all night, it might be a Cronjob? . Anyway after a few hours the Pi became unresponsive again, LMS over 90% cpu. Going back into /var/log/ again it was all full up again!

If the Pi was continually writing these error messages to SD card then that SD card was going to worn out pretty quickly.

I figured if it was error messages causing the problem I would have to either figure out what the underlying problem was (don't have the linux chops for that I'm afraid) or I could disable the error logging (squeezeplug is meant to be a dedicated audio server/player after all and not a full computer so to speak).

I came across a recommendation to use a utility called "sysv-rc-conf" and lo and behold it is loaded into Squeezeplug/Debian Pi by default.

It has an easy to use interface where you can move around the different services and disable them
for different run levels. So I located rsyslog and unchecked all the boxes for it.

Rebooting the machine, everything was immediately more responsive, even the LMS web interface
on another computer was more sprightly.

I left it running like this and I am glad to report that seven days later, my Squeezeplug is running happily 24/7 without crashing, slowing down or otherwise driving me crazy.. So something is askew with error logging and/or the driver/buffer for USB Dacs.

If this helps anybody else to get a good working install then great, and if anyone can get to the bottom of the real reason for all the errors then that would be good too. I don't think the lack of
error reporting is a problem for the continued running of a headless Squeezeplug but I'm
open to be corrected!

tlipur

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:12 pm

wifi problems try this out...check out the last post.
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=7857
The problem seems to be that the adapter has power management features enabled by default. This can be checked by running the command:

cat /sys/module/8192cu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt
A value of 0 means disabled, 1 means min. power management, 2 means max. power management. To disable this, you need to create a new file:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf
and add the following:

# Disable power management

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0
Once you save the file and reboot your RPi, the WiFi should stay on indefinitely.

misterpi

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi everybody,
I had trouble getting HDMI as default Audio Output to run. I set HDMI as default Audio Output in the squeezeplug options but I always got audio out in analog mode.
To have the system load the HDMI driver automatically, edit /etc/modules and the line has to be added:

snd_bcm2835

at the end.

I found that if you install HDMI via squeezeplug the drivers name was snd-bcm2835 instead of snd_bcm2835. That's why it didn't work.

Thomas, is the misspelled driver name an issue triggered by Raspbian or by Squeezeplug configuration ? Maybe you can check it in your source code.

Paul Webster

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:01 pm

I think that the "-" changed to "_" a few months back in Raspbian and I expect other builds as well.

Return to “Media centres”