antonholmstedt

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 pm

truehl wrote:
antonholmstedt wrote:Hi Truehl,

Just wanted to let you know that I got Squeezeplug SF working with Berryboot :)

But since the HF spotify version is out, I will try with that one now instead.
Hi Anton,
I very much interessted in this. Till now I had no time to check this out but I would like to know how you did it exactly. The founder of Berryboot offerd me to integrate SqueezePlug when I place a package on my website. HF would be fine!
Quite easy actually, just downloaded HF version, followed Berryboot creator's instructions, and then commented out the lines in fstab before creating the sqashfs image file.

Uploaded the latest version here, hope you don't mind:
http://ge.tt/api/1/files/72YDkdW/0/blob?download

tlipur

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:58 pm

i bought 2 pi's with identical accessories. the other one works great with raspbmc on wifi.

please fix the wifi issue so i can enjoy using squeezeplug. its the only reason why i bought the pi

truehl

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

tlipur wrote:i bought 2 pi's with identical accessories. the other one works great with raspbmc on wifi.

please fix the wifi issue so i can enjoy using squeezeplug. its the only reason why i bought the pi
Hi tilpur,
please make no claim, we are in a private project.

Please help to fix the issue, if there is one.

Could you please post the following files (from both machines):
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
/etc/network/interfaces

And the output of this command:

Code: Select all

/opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
And could you post the type of WiFi dongle you use?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

tlipur

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 am

/etc/network/interfaces
i get access denied for both when i type this in the terminal.
and for the other it says broadcom

i have two EDIMAX EW-7811Un adapters. one of the pi is running rasp with no problems on wifi and on the other pi v5 of your squeeze box work perfectly via wifi. It downloaded drivers automatically when i choose wlan... on v6 this does not happen

drgeoff

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 am

tlipur wrote:
/etc/network/interfaces
truehl wanted you to post the contents of these files. The commands you typed are trying to run those files. You need to use an editor to see the contents. I'm comfortable using vi but it isn't intuitive or noob friendly. :(

vi /etc/wpa_supplicant/supplicant.conf

then to exit type

: q

and then the return key

truehl

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 am

tlipur wrote:
/etc/network/interfaces
and for the other it says broadcom

i have two EDIMAX EW-7811Un adapters. one of the pi is running rasp with no problems on wifi and on the other pi v5 of your squeeze box work perfectly via wifi. It downloaded drivers automatically when i choose wlan... on v6 this does not happen
The best would be, that I take a look at your systems. So we need a way to do this remotely. We can use Skype or Teamviewer. Please tell me if you are using one of this and we shall make a session!
truehl

tom-pi

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:18 am

truehl wrote:
tom-pi wrote:I had the problem with LMS not seeing my Squeezelite players, resolved the problem by adding the following to "/etc/rc.local" before the line "mount -a"

/etc/init.d/squeezelite stop
/usr/bin/squeezelite &

and now they work every time.

Tom
Hmm, sounds a bit strange! The init script is made to start SqueezLite. For me SqueezeLite starts every time at system starts and connects to the LMS server. Do you use autodiscovery for LMS? If yes, please hard code the LMS server in the SqueezeLite setup.

The other thing you could try is to place this in /etc/rc.loal:

sleep 10
/etc/init.d/squeezelite start
Please report back the result!
This happens with all three of my pi's, two set up with LMS+ squeezelite, the other only with squeezelite. I use fixed address 127.0.0.1 in those with LMS, the address of the LMS box for the player-only box.

The
sleep 10

does not work,

/usr/bin/squeezelite &

does.

Strange.

Tom

truehl

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am

tom-pi wrote:
truehl wrote:
tom-pi wrote:I had the problem with LMS not seeing my Squeezelite players, resolved the problem by adding the following to "/etc/rc.local" before the line "mount -a"

/usr/bin/squeezelite &

and now they work every time.

Tom
Hmm, sounds a bit strange! The init script is made to start SqueezLite. For me SqueezeLite starts every time at system starts and connects to the LMS server. Do you use autodiscovery for LMS? If yes, please hard code the LMS server in the SqueezeLite setup.

The other thing you could try is to place this in /etc/rc.loal:

sleep 10
Please report back the result!
This happens with all three of my pi's, two set up with LMS+ squeezelite, the other only with squeezelite. I use fixed address 127.0.0.1 in those with LMS, the address of the LMS box for the player-only box.

The
sleep 10

does not work,

/usr/bin/squeezelite &

does.

Strange.

Tom
Did you try the real IP instead of 127.0.0.1 ?
truehl

tom-pi

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

truehl wrote:Did you try the real IP instead of 127.0.0.1 ?
Yes. I only use the 127.0.0.1 on the ones with LMS recently, as it's easier as I don't need to set the IP of the squeezelite if I move them to another LAN.

I've also tried with wired and wireless LAN, same thing.

But, as I said, the trick with rc.local works fine, so it's not a problem, just strange!

Tom

Neorth

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 am

Really nice project you have going on here truehl!

I have a small question, will Triode's youtube plugin work in SqueezePlug?

trondis23

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Which Android remotes would you recommend?

I am using Logitech Squeezebox Controller and Squeezer. But I have some problems with the Logitech remote - it sometimes takes a long time before it recognizes Squeezelite, and sometimes the library is empty. Squeezer works fine, but is a bit slow when scrolling through the album or artist lists.

There are many alternatives, but most are paid apps: Squeeze Commander, Squeezebox Remote Premium, Squeeze Control, Orange Squeeze and a few others. Which ones work best? Or can the problems with the Logitech remote be solved by changing some settings in Squeezeplug?

truehl

Edimax WiFi Support

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi folks,
some of you reported, that there is still an issue with the Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 802.11bgn USB Adapter, and maybe with some others WiFi dongles using the same technology. I also own one of these WiFi dongles and I can't find an issue with this dongle. In my environment it's working great with the last SqueezePlug version (6.02).

Because it's my main aim to make you happy with SqueezePlug i did some more investigations and yesterday I found a guy from Austria with a no working Edimax environment not only saying "it don't work". He allowed me to take a deeper look in his environment via Teamviewer and I could see that he was right. It's not working, the Edimax don't get an IP.

So I figured out a working configuration I like to share with you and I need your feedback. If it's working for you I'll make a patch. I've tested it with my three WiFi dongles and it's working. So please give it a try and report back the result, it's important. You have to change two files. Do it from the console with putty and the simple editor nano. Save the files after changing with the nano commands <Ctrl o> and leave nano with <Ctrl x> These are the commands and the contend of the files:

root@squeezeplug:~# nano /etc/network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#
# The WLAN network interface
auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

root@squeezeplug:~# nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

network={
ssid="Your_SSID"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="YOUR_PRE_SHARED_KEY"
}
Replace Your_SSID and YOUR_PRE_SHARED_KEY with your SSID and your Password for your WLAN. The "" are important, don't delete them!!!

Maybe you have to do these two commands after changing the files (once)

ifdown wlan0

ifup wlan0
If you get these error message, ignore it.

ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
To see if it's working type:

ifconfg
Thanks a lot,
Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Great news:
Spotify plugin from Triode in LMS is now running on SqueezePlug HF!
I already made an announcement a few days ago, but that was to early. Now Triode has updated his LMS plugin for Spotify. It's now running on the Hard-Float version of SqueezePlug as well as on the SF version. Just install or update Triodes plugin and it will work!

Great stuff and one reason more for the HF version!

Thanks a lot to Triode an Spotify, for making it possible!
truehl

truehl

What about the Edimax EW-7811Un issue?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:37 am

Hi,
I'm waiting for your reports about the fix for the Edimax EW-7811Un WiFi dongle! I thought it would be important for some of you and now there is absolutely no feedback about the fix. It's difficult for me to fix issues I don't have without the people who have theses issues. So please tell me if it's working for you or not!

Thanks, Thomas
truehl

woi_doi

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Truehl,

Sometimes I think that the various manufacturing runs of Raspberry Pi throw up different little quirks and problems that some observe but others don't.

After being very happy with version 5, I took the plunge and installed Version 6. Initially thought I had made a bad mistake when playback was noisy and stuttery with Squeezelite, but after reading this forum became aware of the buffers setting. I increased it to medium and hey presto everything works.

So much so that I set up another Pi this time using that little DAC you recommended for a Christmas present and voila, great clear sound now going into and coming out of my stereo! Now I just need to find a sexy enclosure for it as I don't like the DAC circuitry being exposed to the world.

A couple of strange things though that may be of use to somebody. I have one of those nano wifi adapters I picked up from Maplins and it worked first time without issue.

My second box uses a Sitecom WL-113 wifi dongle with a zd1211rw chipset. I had set up this box with a wired line initially so didn't realise there was a problem. Although this adapter worked with version 5 and all versions of Raspian and Debian previously it wasn't being recognised by Squeezeplug 6 for some reason. I performed a re-install and same problem. Hehmm. Remembering what I had to do years ago on a different box I followed the instructions on http://wiki.debian.org/zd1211rw and downloaded the firmware and immediately it started working again. So easy fix but might cause some to scratch their heads.

The second thing is to remind people when using your setup program that selections with radio buttons usually need to be focused with the space bar before hitting return. I don't know how many times I didn't do that trying to setup my attached USB drive!

Speaking of which, I think there may be a slight problem when you change the name of a Squeezeplug after you have established your music shares. I think /etc/fstab still points to the initial path name afterwards. Easily corrected by entering setup again and re-establishing the link.

Thanks once again for your great work. A small donation is on it's way to you.

Next up: getting a two line LCD display to show now playing etc and alsaequal to give a bit more oomph for small speaker setups.

Cheers,

Woi_doi

camberwell

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am

hi Thomas

Thanks for you excellent work on squeezeplug.

Unfortunately i too am still using version 5. As i cannot get WiFi to work on version 6 with my dongle. Its not the edimax, but a cheap clone using the same chipset Realtek RTL8188CUS . So iassume the same version

The dongle works fine on version 5 and on my PC.

What feedback do you need?

marqvds

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Since version 6 my sqeezeplug sometimes starts making strange sounds from the internal audio-output.
Since i'm using it in my bedroom with a set of powered speakers (which are always on), it already woke me up a few times in the middle of the night. It's not happening every night and it happens with and without the micro-wifi adapter. Anybody an idea what this could be? It a sort of ticking sound every 10-20 seconds.

-> Thomas, thanks again for your work!!

truehl

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

camberwell wrote:hi Thomas

Thanks for you excellent work on squeezeplug.

Unfortunately i too am still using version 5. As i cannot get WiFi to work on version 6 with my dongle. Its not the edimax, but a cheap clone using the same chipset Realtek RTL8188CUS . So iassume the same version

The dongle works fine on version 5 and on my PC.

What feedback do you need?
Could you try version 6.02 with my fix from above?

Thanks a lot!
truehl

tlipur

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 pm

thanks for the update. i haven't had the time to try, i will do it soon and post back

tlipur

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:06 am

tlipur wrote:thanks for the update. i haven't had the time to try, i will do it soon and post back
Just tried and oh man oh man it WORKS!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Lugie

Re: Edimax WiFi Support

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 am

truehl wrote: So I figured out a working configuration I like to share with you and I need your feedback. If it's working for you I'll make a patch. I've tested it with my three WiFi dongles and it's working. So please give it a try and report back the result, it's important.
Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the delays it's been a busy week. I tried your 6.02 with my TP-LINK wifi adaptor and it didn't work, unfortunately. It was different this time however, in that when I used the gui tool under VNC I noticed that your script had put what seemed to be the correct settings in there. Previously there was nothing there after using your setup. Anyway for some reason it still wouldn't connect. Deleting the settings and putting things in using the gui tool under VNC did work for me.

I'm going to try these changes you just posted on the weekend.

Thanks,
Lugie.

truehl

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 am

Lugie wrote:
truehl wrote:I'm going to try these changes you just posted on the weekend.
So you have not tried the fix, right?
truehl

bobbydriver

Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am

Is it possible to run Squeezeplug and Raspbmc on the same Pi (assuming that I wouldn't actively use both at the same time so resources would not be in direct contention)?

If so what would be the easiest way to achieve this?

marqvds

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:42 pm

truehl wrote:Spotify plugin from Triode in LMS is now running on SqueezePlug HF!
Works great, just like the Youtube plugin which is perfect also!!

vaugi

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:49 pm

truehl wrote: So I figured out a working configuration I like to share with you and I need your feedback. If it's working for you I'll make a patch. I've tested it with my three WiFi dongles and it's working. So please give it a try and report back the result, it's important.
Hi Thomas,

Just read your post so thought I'd try this for you. Previously I couldn't get 6.02 to work out of the box with my cheap Ralink 5370 Wifi dongle, so had to hack around at the interfaces file to get it to work.

The changes to the two files you've posted works fine for me though, thanks! With Wifi only (no ethernet cable) it takes a little while to boot up while it tries/fails to discover eth0 so I might remove eth0 from the files.

Cheers for all the work.

Return to “Media centres”