bethel03

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 am

I have HF v6 installed and updated. And LMS 7.7.2 installed and running. I have logged into it and it has recognized my Squeezebox Radio just fine. But I am having a problem loading my music. All my music resides on a NAS with a path of "\\192.168.1.2\Volume_1\Media\Music". I have tried to use the SMB path in the 'Media Folders' field and it cannot find the music. Can I do it this way? If not, what do I need to do differently?

Thank you.

Lugie

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 am

Hi Thomas,

I just updated to 6.01 on a fresh SD image of Squeezeplug 6. My DAC works with your script and I can now set the Shairport name; playback works perfectly. Thank you for giving us those options. However there are a few issues with this new version:

Although I installed it with setup, squeezelite does not register with LMS. With "top" I see that the squeezelite process is not running like it was before. It does not show up there. Also, although I can now see my Wifi adaptor with iwconfig, it does not connect to my network. SSID and key are correct in the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file. The blue activity light just periodically flashes slowly, not fast like when it was working with 5.05.

Here is the output of iwconfig:

Code: Select all

wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Sensitivity:0/0  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
The chipset/driver is rtl8192cu

Please let me know if there're any logs I can check or commands you'd like me to run.

Thank you.

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 am

bethel03 wrote:I have HF v6 installed and updated. And LMS 7.7.2 installed and running. I have logged into it and it has recognized my Squeezebox Radio just fine. But I am having a problem loading my music. All my music resides on a NAS with a path of "\\192.168.1.2\Volume_1\Media\Music". I have tried to use the SMB path in the 'Media Folders' field and it cannot find the music. Can I do it this way? If not, what do I need to do differently?

Thank you.
Can you connect to this Share with your other machines on your network (Windows)? Are username and password correct? Do you use a guest or a named user account? Sometimes it's a bit tricky to configure and to discuss here. If you are on Skype or we could use teamviewer I could take a look at!

Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 am

Lugie wrote: Although I installed it with setup, squeezelite does not register with LMS. With "top" I see that the squeezelite process is not running like it was before.
I've checked this serveral times and it works perfectly for me. Could you try to start SqueezeLite manually with something like this:

/sp/scripts/squeezelite -n Player 192.168.2.106
Replace the IP-Address with your LMS-Server
Lugie wrote:Also, although I can now see my Wifi adaptor with iwconfig, it does not connect to my network. SSID and key are correct in the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file. The blue activity light just periodically flashes slowly, not fast like when it was working with 5.05.
I've tested 3 different adapters and they all work fine. What's exactly the product name?

Please start an x session if you have a HDMI monitor connected (I hope you have one). :roll: From this session start the wpa_gui and try to vonfigure the adapter from here.
truehl

antonholmstedt

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:42 am

I saw in the berryboot thread a couple of months ago that you later would make an image for it, have you tried yet? :) Thanks for your hard work by the way!

avmoron

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:52 am

I have your 4.08b1 SF squeezeplug running LMS together with a maxtor one touch 2 powered usb drive, the drive contains my music with wmp 12 ripped wma lossless cds. I have one Squeezebox touch which works perfectly with this setup streaming the wma lossless files, spotify and bbciplayer using triodes plugins. I have also using your squeezeplug V6.00 SF image got a Pi running squeezelite I use the squeezebox apple ap using an old ipod to control this - this is connected to my amplifier using a turtle beach usb dac spdif - this setup also runs extremely well with Spotify and internet radio although I cannot stream the lossless wma files as squeezelite cannot transode these like the squeezebox touch can. I have two questions,
Will I benefit if I upgrade my Pi running the LMS to V6.00 squeezeplug?
Maybe a question for Triode but will squeezelite ever be able to transcode and play the WMA lossless files or should I change thes to Flac?

Trixster

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:50 pm

=v6.01 still hasn't fixed the wireless problems for me, using an Edimax ew-7811un dongle. DHCP still fails to give an ip address at boot. I have started over with v6, updated to v6.01, expanded the filesystem, updated the debian distro, entered the wlan config and added the correct SSID and passkey. Unfortunately this does not work. I've even tried disabling the LAN to see if that works but it does not.

wpa_gui in LDXE does not work either - the network is visible but cannot be connected to. The issue seems to be exactly the same as with v6.00.

iwconfig gives:

Like Lugie, SSID and passkey have been correctly inputted throughout.

Unfortunately I've run out of time to keep trying with v6 for the next few weeks so I'm going back to a working image of v5.

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Trixster wrote:=v6.01 still hasn't fixed the wireless problems for me, using an Edimax ew-7811un dongle. DHCP still fails to give an ip address at boot. I have started over with v6, updated to v6.01, expanded the filesystem, updated the debian distro, entered the wlan config and added the correct SSID and passkey. Unfortunately this does not work. I've even tried disabling the LAN to see if that works but it does not.

wpa_gui in LDXE does not work either - the network is visible but cannot be connected to. The issue seems to be exactly the same as with v6.00.

iwconfig gives:

Like Lugie, SSID and passkey have been correctly inputted throughout.

Unfortunately I've run out of time to keep trying with v6 for the next few weeks so I'm going back to a working image of v5.
Hi Trixster,
that's amazing. I have the same device, SqueezePlug Version 6.01 and it works great with this Wifi device. Thats my iwconfig:

root@squeezeplug:~# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"BlabberBlub06"  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:27:19:FF:2C:9E
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0
          Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-****   Security mode                               :open
          Link Quality=100/100  Signal level=63/100  Noise level=0/100

eth0      no wireless extensions.
That's my /etc/network/interfaces:

root@squeezeplug:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The WLAN network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
#
# The LAN network interface
That's my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
network={
        ssid="BlabberBlub06"
        psk="xxxxxxxxxxx"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP WEP104 WEP40
        auth_alg=OPEN
}
and that's an output from ping:

root@squeezeplug:/# ping www.heise.de
PING www.heise.de (193.99.144.85) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=1 ttl=246 time=27.6 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=2 ttl=246 time=27.6 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=3 ttl=246 time=27.3 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=4 ttl=246 time=32.6 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=5 ttl=246 time=32.0 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=6 ttl=246 time=26.7 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_req=7 ttl=246 time=27.6 ms
Are you reachable via Skye or can we make a Teamviewer session to figure it out for you?
truehl

Trixster

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Thomas. Annoying isn't it!

I'm off skiing so I won't have time to take another look at it until later this month. When I'm back ill have another go, copying your settings for wpa_supplicant.conf and interfaces to see if they work. Unfortunately I've reverted back to v5 in the interim. I don't use Skype.

My other Pi (which i use as an LMS) works fine with v6.01 as I've reverted to using Ethernet.

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Trixster wrote:Hi Thomas. Annoying isn't it!

I'm off skiing so I won't have time to take another look at it until later this month. When I'm back ill have another go, copying your settings for wpa_supplicant.conf and interfaces to see if they work. Unfortunately I've reverted back to v5 in the interim. I don't use Skype.

My other Pi (which i use as an LMS) works fine with v6.01 as I've reverted to using Ethernet.
o.k. Trixster happy skiing! I'm sure we will find a solution. My 3 USB mini dongels work like a charme!

Thomas
truehl

bethel03

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 pm

truehl wrote:
bethel03 wrote:I have HF v6 installed and updated. And LMS 7.7.2 installed and running. I have logged into it and it has recognized my Squeezebox Radio just fine. But I am having a problem loading my music. All my music resides on a NAS with a path of "\\192.168.1.2\Volume_1\Media\Music". I have tried to use the SMB path in the 'Media Folders' field and it cannot find the music. Can I do it this way? If not, what do I need to do differently?

Thank you.
Can you connect to this Share with your other machines on your network (Windows)? Are username and password correct? Do you use a guest or a named user account? Sometimes it's a bit tricky to configure and to discuss here. If you are on Skype or we could use teamviewer I could take a look at!

Thomas

Windows opens the share with no problems whatsoever. There are no permissions set to the share within my LAN. The share is running off of a D-Link DNS-323 NAS. That particular share is set as a 'UPnP Media Server' that can also be seen by other devices such as my PS3 using DLNA.

SoundSunPleasure

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Thomas,

I just loaded a fresh version 6 and upgraded to 6.01. My Edimax WLAN isn't working either. Want me to check something? I can probably Skype if that will help you out.

will_jones

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 pm

truehl wrote: O.k. Thanks! I tried it about 100 times I think and don't have a problem at all with a branch of different SD-Cards. Since I use ext4 for the filessystem even a power dropout is normally not a problem!
I seem to have figured out what the problem was. The problems with it failing when power was interupted only occured when I manually altered the fstab file. When I configured the media library using the menu system, it restarts no problem after a power outage.

I do have one niggling problem however. When entering the info for the media library, how do you enter folder names that have spaces in them? For example if I type /Public/Shared Music, this is reported as an error. I have done a google search and tried various solutions but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

meanmeech

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Evening Thomas,

Sorry for not reading your instructions correctly before asking you how to install v6.1.
Anyway, the good news, Wifi works, and Squeezeslave is working with my LMS Server 7.7.2. Able to remote, using the iphone... All good.
Managed to sync with Xsqueeze on XBMC running on Windows 7.
My RPI has been playing for 2 hours, no problems.

I am still having a little niggle with getting sound out from the HDMI. (Though I am happy with using the audio jack). My questions are: When setting up the squeezeslave, on the "Audio Devices available", I have 3 outward devices.

0: (ALSA) bcm2835 ALSA: bcm2835 ALSA (hw:0,0) (11/46)
1: (ALSA) sysdefault (11/46)
*2: (ALSA) default (11/46)

I have and star on option 2. My question is, should I be able to choose from one of the three options? As I have always noticed that this is lock onto option 2.

My next question is about syncing two slaves. I have been able to work out how to delay the start on xqueeze (running on XBMC W7). Could you please tell me if and where i would be able to locate a config files to do the same with squeezeslave? I have been having a nosey around, but TNA.

Cheers

J

drgeoff

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:59 pm

will_jones wrote: I do have one niggling problem however. When entering the info for the media library, how do you enter folder names that have spaces in them? For example if I type /Public/Shared Music, this is reported as an error. I have done a google search and tried various solutions but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?
Does http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/weirdchars.html help?

will_jones

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm

drgeoff wrote:
will_jones wrote: I do have one niggling problem however. When entering the info for the media library, how do you enter folder names that have spaces in them? For example if I type /Public/Shared Music, this is reported as an error. I have done a google search and tried various solutions but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?
I did look at that, and try their suggestions without success. They suggest several different solutions, is there one that should work?

meanmeech

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi all, with regards to my second questions about how to improve syncing two different devices. I am starting to wonder if it is possible add a source sync clock. Has anyone read a relevant up-to-date thread regarding this. Currently I am wading through a mountain of info, including Thomas (truehl) from back in Nov 2010...

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:50 pm

SoundSunPleasure wrote:Thomas,

I just loaded a fresh version 6 and upgraded to 6.01. My Edimax WLAN isn't working either. Want me to check something? I can probably Skype if that will help you out.
Let's ts meet at Skype. Please send a PM with you Skype name and a time suggestion maybe tomorrow evening. Please tell the time in GMT.
truehl

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm

will_jones wrote:
drgeoff wrote:
I did look at that, and try their suggestions without success. They suggest several different solutions, is there one that should work?
Try to name the shared folder without spaces. Or edit the fstab file manually and set the share name in '' .

nano /etc/fstab
Should be the last line!
truehl

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:59 pm

meanmeech wrote:I have and star on option 2. My question is, should I be able to choose from one of the three options? As I have always noticed that this is lock onto option 2.
No option, only information!
truehl

truehl

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 pm

bethel03 wrote:
truehl wrote:

Thank you.

Thomas

Windows opens the share with no problems whatsoever. There are no permissions set to the share within my LAN. The share is running off of a D-Link DNS-323 NAS. That particular share is set as a 'UPnP Media Server' that can also be seen by other devices such as my PS3 using DLNA.
Did you use forward backslash or backward backslash?
truehl

cdalessio

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:01 am

Just wanted to post a quick note about DAC issues - not all DACs work quite right with Linux (story of its life, eh?) especially if you're sending it anything other than 16/44.1 - variable rate is probably the worst case scenario.

LM27** receiver units seem to work though are limited to 16/48 but affordable, as well as XMOS based (only place you'll get 24/96+ right now I think but usually in more costly units) - this is far from an exhaustive list so it is possible other USB receiver combinations work.

Right now I'm at work on a PCB design using the LM2704 for the USB DAC section that would provide power to the Pi (1A 5v+/-), self power the USB DAC (so no drain on the already light power availability through the USB Bus on the Pi) and include a similar quality pre-amp stage (LM2140 based) with volume which would let you drive powered speakers or any power amp quite comfortably, or swap out a couple resistors for headphones, with a long-term goal of supporting higher bitrates etc (i.e. totally different design, but same premise - prove it's worth doing on the cheap first though!)

Anyhow, all this starts with this most wonderful little setup Thomas is so kind to work on, so much thanks for that!

Lugie

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 am

I tried a fresh image of Squeezeplug 6. I installed Squeezelite without updating to version 6.01. It worked fine. As soon as I do the update to 6.01 - it stops running.
truehl wrote:Could you try to start SqueezeLite manually with something like this:

/sp/scripts/squeezelite -n Player 192.168.2.106
Replace the IP-Address with your LMS-Server
When I run the command I get this:

[20:32:21.594780] test_open:141 playback open error: Device or resource busy
[20:32:21.596568] output_init:1254 unable to open output device
Could it be an interaction with my DAC? I tried commenting out the line with CARD=DAC and put in the Pi internal sound. It worked! Really weird. But my DAC is definitely recognized for everything else. Your audio test files and Shairport play properly in 6.01 (it all worked with v6). But now Squeezelite in 6.01 and my DAC do not get along. I then tried to update to the latest Squeezelite binary (reboot). That killed the daemon and gave me a "Segmentation fault" error when trying to start it manually.
Lugie wrote:Also, although I can now see my Wifi adaptor with iwconfig, it does not connect to my network. SSID and key are correct in the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file. The blue activity light just periodically flashes slowly, not fast like when it was working with 5.05.
truehl wrote:I've tested 3 different adapters and they all work fine. What's exactly the product name?
My network adaptor is the TP-Link TL-WN823N. It is on the verified peripherals list on eLinux here: http://www.elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPerip ... i_Adapters It was working previously and doesn't need a hub.
truehl wrote:Please start an x session if you have a HDMI monitor connected (I hope you have one). :roll: From this session start the wpa_gui and try to vonfigure the adapter from here.
Sorry, I will have to wait until the weekend to hook it up to my TV. I don't have a monitor with HDMI.
I really appreciate your help. I'll try to root around a bit more to see what's different about my config from your testing rig. Which wifi cards are working for you? I tried to get the Netgear N150 card you mentioned in another thread but doesn't seem to be available any longer.

Thanks,
Lugie.

truehl

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 am

Lugie wrote:Sorry, I will have to wait until the weekend to hook it up to my TV. I don't have a monitor with HDMI. I really appreciate your help. I'll try to root around a bit more to see what's different about my config from your testing rig. Which wifi cards are working for you? I tried to get the Netgear N150 card you mentioned in another thread but doesn't seem to be available any longer.
Hi Lugie,
thanks for the answer.
1. SqueezeLite: In version 6.01 I use an updated version of SqueezeLite, so maybe that's not working with your DAC. Meantime there is a newer version available, try to update SqueezeLite from my setup. If that also wont work, try to contact Triode, the developer of SqueezeLite. He is a very kind and a highly professional guy. You can place your problem here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ly)/page60.
2. Wifi: The only thing I do with my setup is to get the right information to configure the WLAN settings. This is e.g. the SSID and the password of your WLAN. I've not changed anything else with the original Raspbian image. So firmware and drivers and all this stuff is form the original Raspbian (latest) image. So if you use SqueezePlug and you don't use my setup to configure the WLAN settings, You can use the "normal" setting comming with Raspbian. For that, as far as I know, you will nee to start an x-session:

root@squeezeplug:/# startx
and then you can configure WLAN with the wpa_gui.

If this does work, and mine setup does not, it has to do with mine. Otherwise it must be a problem with Raspbian and your stick.

Hope that helps
Thomas

Device I've tested are:
EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter, 150 Mbit/s, IEEE802.11b/g/n
BIGtec 150Mbit nano USB WLAN Stick Adapter Netzwerkadapter Wireless LAN Stick WLAN
Netgear N150 Wireless USB Microadapter
truehl

trondis23

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

truehl wrote:
trondis23 wrote:The last version works great. But I have a problem connecting to my Samba server. I enter the ip address, then /public/my music. User name and password are left blank. I thought that this was all there was to it. But I can't find any music files in the library. What did I miss?
There is a fault in the actual describtion of the SAMBA installation script. For guest access to a Samba Share you should type in "guest" with a blank Password. I changed that in the upcomming patch (comes soon) :lol:
Thank you, this worked! I now have my 300 GB/1350 albums available in SqueezePlug. And SqueezeLite plays them back beautifully, without gaps. Last time I tried SqueezeSlave there were big gaps between tracks.

One problem occurred: I set the playback on pause for a while. When I pressed play again I got terrible distortion.

There are many alternative servers and players. Is there any info about the differences/advantages of these? And how to use for example MPD and the extra non-music utilities?

Return to “Media centres”