steves999

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:16 pm

phil001 wrote:
steves999 wrote:
phil001 wrote:Hi, total noob here, hoping to be able to make use of this in the future!
Are there any install/setup videos for the PI that i can watch to see exactly what is involved?
Many thanks
Yes, Thomas has a video on his site http://www.squeezeplug.eu/ - it's for the older version and some menu items have changed, but the principle is the same.
I know next to nothing about Linux and have had no great problems getting squeezeplug with LMS setup and running. If you've got a RPi and a spare SD card I'd say give it a go! I'm loving having my music server running on a tiny, silent, low power device rather than leaving a PC running as I used to!
From what I'm reading here, most of the issues people have are using the RPi as a client player with a USB DAC which I don't do - I just use it as the server, with hardware squeezeboxes and android client players.
It's also a fun project - if you like this kind of thing....which I do!
Thanks for the info, all i can see currently are the youtube videos for goflex or HD installs. Maybe they have been removed for updating
That's odd...maybe I'm seeing a cached version.... try this direct link http://www.squeezeplug.de/downloads/vid ... ug_RPI.mp4

phil001

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:28 pm

thanks, was lloking at the youtube link on the right hand side of the page, didnt think to scroll down to look for an embedded video.
:oops:

castalla

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I just tried the squeezelite update - nothing changed - still version 7 . 1

selfi

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:50 pm

After my initial post on checking out the migration scripts, I've done some more extensive running, and here is a summary of the things I've found. This work involved quite a lot of shuffling between different versions of the offering on my small supply of SD cards, so if I've made errors along the way, apologies in advance!

Thomas has put a major effort into this, and what's there is good. There are a few hiccups - see summary at the end - but they are easily bypassed.

Many thanks Thomas.

I'm using LMS running on a QNAP NAS, with a headless 512MB Pi (access via Putty). I'm using 8GB Class 10 SD cards for the file system. I'm also using the analog output for sound, although I realise that the quality isn't as good as from digital outputs. For testing, I'm driving the sound through a couple of PC speakers. Not optimal, but it's a reasonable comparative environment for what I've been doing, at least.

First, I ran the Squeezeplug 6 Hard Float (HF) and Soft Float (SF) versions as a baseline. Here's what I found.

1) HF version installs fine, runs Squeezeslave OK. SF version also installs OK, but attempts to install Squeezeslave when requested and reports success. Code and scripts are installed, but when attempting to run at boot, there are errors reported, and Squeezeslave will not run. Squeezelite does run on the SF version, of course.

Now for the migration testing

1) The migration script will install Squeezeplug (SP) additions on top of a base of Raspbian HF or Debian SF Wheezy. The migration script also invokes an update of the base code, if required.

2) I installed HF first. I downloaded and used the vanilla Raspbian. The download of the script and Squeezeplug (SP) code base worked fine and started up OK. After choosing hard or soft float option (I wonder whether this could be automated - Thomas?) the script started to download loads of updates to the base and after installing them booted itself into SP. At this point there is a small difference to the V6 initial boot, as the splash screen (on Putty) tells you that you have 20 seconds to enlarge it rather than giving no time interval (good stuff). After this initial script you are into SP as you expect it. I installed Squeezeslave (SS) and rebooted. On rebooting, I noticed that the player picked up an old name I had used for SP V6 SF vanilla testing. No big deal. This can all be changed from the browser into LMS.

3) Next I tried out the SF code base (Debian Wheezy). Again, the script went fine, but there were loads of updates and some of them failed to download correctly from the Pi site. The base code update also reported running out of space on device at some stage. I hadn't expanded the file system at this point. The script still reported successful completion and booted into SP, at which time I could install SS and Squeezelite (SL). Each reported successful installation, though SS didn't work (as I thought it might not). SL did.

4) Some of the panels in the SP menus do not display the information for sound cards coming the panel before the choice. Also, the script seemed to have problems locating my LMS (not the case on the HF system, I recall). Selecting auto find failed, so I had to redo the config and type in the address.

5) After the problems downloading all the updates (and the script apparently completing successfully) I manually updated (apt-get...) to see what difference that would make. This time (perhaps due to networking or load issues on the update servers?) the updates downloaded and installed fine. I had expanded the file system by this time.

I did go back and try out the SPV5 version of the code, as all the SPV6 offerings (vanilla and migration releases) seemed, through the analog ports at least, to generate a fair amount of background noise. Certainly SPV5 was quieter. When running SPV6, doing things on the LMS browser, through which I was managing the player, made odd sounds through the speakers. This certainly suggests use of digital outputs for production use.

In summary,

a) The migration scripts work well, especially if the user takes care to ensure that his system is up-to-date before he starts the migration process. The positive message from the script when the update hasn't worked should be corrected, or a simple change made so that the script prompts users to manually make an update before migrating. The "out of space" issue may not occur if the system update is separated from the SP migration. And, if updates are done after, the SP panels/scripts can be used to expand the file system.

b) Squeezeslave doesn't work on the SF version of the code (vanilla or migration offerings) and could be removed from the choices, unless there is a SF version of the code. I don't know about this.

c) There are some issues on the SF scripts detecting LMS running, it seems. Perhaps just need to tell users to type the address in. Some small changes to the English prompts might help. The V6 scripts don't have stand-alone and integrated with LMS (as was the case in V5) paths for Squeezeslave installation. This is fine but perhaps needs to be more clearly supported in the prompt.

d) Overall, the system runs well, and after a couple of minor adjustments will be another major addition to the SQ offerings.

Many thanks Thomas.

ferralis

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm getting an image size of 3.74gb, is there any way to lower this?

My 4gb sd card is only 3.67 gbs, and on the website you mention it's supposed to be a 3gb image.

Did i do something wrong?

thanks

ferralis

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm getting the extracted IMG file to be about 3.74 GB, yet you mention it as a 3 GB file.

Am i doing something wrong or is this the actual size of the IMG file?

I ask because my 4GB sd card is only 3.67 GB (ripoff i know right?)

Jessie

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 pm

ferralis wrote:I'm getting the extracted IMG file to be about 3.74 GB, yet you mention it as a 3 GB file.

The reason your 4gb card is actually 3.67gb has to do with two issues. One the file system takes up some space for things like partition tables and journals and other overhead. The other is the trickery math that the device makers use. They call 1 K 1000 bytes and 1 M 1000 KB then they do the same for GB. Unfortunately this is not how the binary system works. In reality 1KB = 1024 B, 1MB = 1024 KB, and so on forever. So capacity is always overstated.

ferralis

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 am

Jessie wrote:
ferralis wrote:I'm getting the extracted IMG file to be about 3.74 GB, yet you mention it as a 3 GB file.

The reason your 4gb card is actually 3.67gb has to do with two issues. One the file system takes up some space for things like partition tables and journals and other overhead. The other is the trickery math that the device makers use. They call 1 K 1000 bytes and 1 M 1000 KB then they do the same for GB. Unfortunately this is not how the binary system works. In reality 1KB = 1024 B, 1MB = 1024 KB, and so on forever. So capacity is always overstated.
Oh no, I knew that, and it varies with everything that you get, but regardless 3.75 would be ideal for a 4GB card...

Is there a way to extract/compress the squeezeplug img file so that it might fit my card, or am I SOL and have to buy an 8 GB card?

castalla

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am

Use usbit to write the image - there's a ref. to this earlier in the thread.

truehl

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 am

castalla wrote:Use usbit to write the image - there's a ref. to this earlier in the thread.
Yes, that's the way to go!

- Use this tool http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/
- start this as administrator (on Windows Vista and higher)
- switch to the device mode
- set the option "Ignore size checks for gzip images (devices larger than 4 GiB can be saved to and restored from compressed images files)
- set the option "Truncate oversize images in device mode (this option can result in data loss, please read FAQ on homepage).
Attachments
USBIT-Setting.PNG
USBIT-Setting.PNG (44.63 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Trixster

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 am

truehl wrote:
Trixster wrote:Will do Thomas, I can't rule out its not something I'm doing wrong! For the record, my standard rasbian image works fine with the dongle!
Hi Trixter,
could you please try this:

Code: Select all

nano /etc network/interfaces
and than replace the code with this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#
# The WLAN network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
then:

nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="yourwlan"
        psk="yourpassphrase"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        auth_alg=OPEN
}
change the ssid and psk

Please report back the result!
Hi Thomas, sorry for the delay in trying this.

Unfortunately it seems to make no difference, the WLAN still does not work!

truehl

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Trixster wrote:
truehl wrote:
Trixster wrote:Will do Thomas, I can't rule out its not something I'm doing wrong! For the record, my standard rasbian image works fine with the dongle!
Hi Trixter,
could you please try this:

nano /etc network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#
# The WLAN network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
then:

nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="yourwlan"
        psk="yourpassphrase"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        auth_alg=OPEN
}
change the ssid and psk

Please report back the result!
Hi Thomas, sorry for the delay in trying this.

Unfortunately it seems to make no difference, the WLAN still does not work!
A patch is on the way, I hope to finish it tonight. I've found the bug and all Raspbian compatible drivers should work then. I've tested the Edimax and it worked!

The patch will fix some other minor bugs and brings one very interesting feature I hope you all will love as I do!

Please be patient till tonight or tomorrow!
truehl

Trixster

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Great stuff, I'm looking forward to it!

will_jones

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Since I use ext4 for the filessystem even a power dropout is normally not a problem![/quote]

can you please explain what you mean by this?

chris217

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 pm

will_jones wrote:Afraid that doesn't work. Tried the shutdown command, waited 10 mins, then unplugged and then re-plugged in the pi, and same thing again. I don't think that it's the sd card because I bought it today, and I had the same problem with a different sd card (although not using the shutdown command then). Has anyone else had this issue?
We use a lot of SD cards at work and I have come across some that appear to write correctly, but lose data when power is removed. My guess is that they have been tampered with to make them appear to have a higher capacity.

It might be worthwhile trying another brand.

truehl

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 am

will_jones wrote:can you please explain what you mean by this?
It means that an ext4 formatted filesystem like we use with the Raspberry Pi is more robust as ext2 or ext3. If you pull the power on a system without shutting it down first the SD-Card can fall in an inconsistent state, because not all data that should be in the card are written to the card. Because of the journaling mechanism with ext4 this will be corrected by the filesystem itself ... sometimes.

During my development with the images I shut down and restart the machines serveral times with serveral SD-Cars from different vendors. I seen issues with some cards, but most work absolutely correct without problems. Shutting down is always a good idea, do it with the command "shutdown -h now".

SqueezePlug is designed to be an always on device, so normally when it is completely configured you will not shutdown it again. If you life in region where power drop outs are often, you should think about adding a battery like this: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008YRG ... 04_s02_i00

Can others please confirm that there is no general issue with the SD-images?

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

castalla

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 am

I have problems copying/cloning the latest version - using usbit backup - the clone will not boot.

trondis23

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 pm

The last version works great. But I have a problem connecting to my Samba server. I enter the ip address, then /public/my music. User name and password are left blank. I thought that this was all there was to it. But I can't find any music files in the library. What did I miss?

truehl

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 pm

trondis23 wrote:The last version works great. But I have a problem connecting to my Samba server. I enter the ip address, then /public/my music. User name and password are left blank. I thought that this was all there was to it. But I can't find any music files in the library. What did I miss?
There is a fault in the actual describtion of the SAMBA installation script. For guest access to a Samba Share you should type in "guest" with a blank Password. I changed that in the upcomming patch (comes soon) :lol:
truehl

will_jones

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:12 pm

truehl wrote:
trondis23 wrote:The last version works great. But I have a problem connecting to my Samba server. I enter the ip address, then /public/my music. User name and password are left blank. I thought that this was all there was to it. But I can't find any music files in the library. What did I miss?
There is a fault in the actual describtion of the SAMBA installation script. For guest access to a Samba Share you should type in "guest" with a blank Password. I changed that in the upcomming patch (comes soon) :lol:
I also had problems with the server finding the music directory. There were actually 2 things I had to do:
1 Change the directory name to one without any spaces in. For example change "my music" to just "music".
2 I had to manually change the fstab file. To this you type:
nano /etc/fstab
Then you change the samba line (about line 49) and change the text deleting the username and password text. Can let you know exactly what it is if you want?

truehl

Patch SqueezePlug Version 6.01 available

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi folks,
one week of hard work is done and I'm happy to present the first and mayor update for SqueezePlug version 6. SqueezePlug V.6.01 fixes some mayor bugs and offers some very exiting new features.

The main fixed issues are:
- Wifi works now for all Raspbian / Wheezy HF and SF supported devices
- Problem with SqueezeSlave and SqueezeLite are fixed
- Issues with formatting and creating a media library are fixed
- You can now name your Shairport Players as you like
- Different other small bugs are fixed

New features are:
- Added Genie9 support, a Time machine Clone (very cool, I'll inform you about details later)
- Possibility to disable the LAN-Connection is using WLAN
- New SqueezeLite version

Please take a look in the patch history for more details (Attachment):

You will get this patch directly with SqueezePlug. Run "setup" choose <Basic Configuration> <Update_SP>.

The next days I'll inform you about more details!

Have fun,
Thomas

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... M49ARYWK6C
thanks a lot!
Attachments
patch_history_601.PNG
patch_history_601.PNG (39.33 KiB) Viewed 3548 times
truehl

meanmeech

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Thomas,

Where can I locate SqueezePlug 6.1? This looks to be your current available version -
Hard-Float Version
MD5 Hash: SqueezePlug_HF_600.zip 7d656d5b9e664c3e4185787c5fb11fac
Version 6.00
The Standard Version for Raspberry Pi

I can confirm that v6 worked, apart from the WiFi. But I have one other bug. I have not been able to get audio to work via hdmi. I have to manually set audio to the headphone jack.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Argon

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Login to your current installed Squeezeplug and enter "setup" again:
You will get this patch directly with SqueezePlug. Run "setup" choose <Basic Configuration> <Update_SP>.

Squeezeplug will then update from 6.00 to 6.01, so you don't have to download the whole image again.

truehl

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:16 pm

meanmeech wrote:Where can I locate SqueezePlug 6.1?
You will get this patch directly with SqueezePlug. Run "setup" choose <Basic Configuration> <Update_SP>. If you start with V.6.00 you will get an update message on first system start!
meanmeech wrote:I can confirm that v6 worked, apart from the WiFi.
WiFi works now
meanmeech wrote:But I have one other bug. I have not been able to get audio to work via hdmi. I have to manually set audio to the headphone jack.
For trouble shouting do this: "setup" <Server and Player> <Player> <AudioSettings>
let me know if you need further assistence.
truehl

will_jones

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm

[/quote]
O.k. Thanks! I tried it about 100 times I think and don't have a problem at all with a branch of different SD-Cards. Since I use ext4 for the filessystem even a power dropout is normally not a problem![/quote]

Just abit of feedback. When I shutdown squeezeplug v6 and interupt the power it restarts no problems. Tried twice with v6.01 without success. Just letting you know.

Return to “Media centres”