nmrider66

OTA TV in the US?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:57 am

Is there a Pi HAT or USB device that can be used to receive Over The Air TV in the United States? I've been searching but have not found one.

default_user8

Re: OTA TV in the US?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:03 am

nmrider66 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:57 am
Is there a Pi HAT or USB device that can be used to receive Over The Air TV in the United States? I've been searching but have not found one.
Easiest thing to do is start with Kodi, install tvheadend and find a Hauppauge WinTV USB TV Tuner. There is plenty of help out there if you look in the right places, Libreelec is a good place to start.

https://libreelec.tv/
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

nmrider66

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks @default_user8. I had forgotten to check Hauppauge for USB devices. They have linux support but think they cost more than a Pi4B. Oh well, I have to get my hands on a Pi4B first anyway. Have been reading about OSMC and Libreelec. Are those operating systems that are installed instead of Rasbian or are they installed on top of Rasbian?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:09 am

nmrider66 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm
Thanks @default_user8. I had forgotten to check Hauppauge for USB devices. They have linux support but think they cost more than a Pi4B. Oh well, I have to get my hands on a Pi4B first anyway. Have been reading about OSMC and Libreelec. Are those operating systems that are installed instead of Rasbian or are they installed on top of Rasbian?

LibreElec and OSMC are both Operating Systems in there own right, both use Kodi Multimedia Software as their GUI. The main difference is OSMC uses Debian as a base Operating System, whilst LibreElec uses a custom Linux Operating System which is as minimal as feasible.

LibreElec appears to be more compatible with the RPi 4B at this present time:

https://libreelec.tv/2019/06/libreelec- ... ha1-rpi4b/

ATSC seems to be the standard OTA signal in USA ??

https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_USB_devices

Retired disgracefully.....

default_user8

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:04 am

OSMC is outdated and not supported as well as libreelec. Libreelec has a handy bit of software that will download the correct version for your board, and flash it to your SD card. And yes any usb tuner will cost more than your Pi, i had good luck with getting a used tuner off Ebay. Make sure you get an ATSC tuner which you is the type needed here in the US.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Paul Webster

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:21 am

default_user8 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:04 am
OSMC is outdated and not supported as well as libreelec.
I read a comment from Sam Nazarko (OSMC) that the approach being taken for RPi4 support is different between Libreelec and OSMC.
He wrote soon after RPi4 release:
this (Libreelec) approach uses MMAL and some patches to make it work with GBM. This allows 4K decoding but output will be limited to 8-bit. I suspect most people will want to watch 4K UHD releases, so this isn’t very useful.

There are also some caveats with this approach.

MMAL is about to be removed from Kodi (days away) so it is a dead end technologically.

Instead, we will support SW decoding for Kodi v18 and focus on doing HW acceleration (the right way) for Kodi v19 (Matrix). This way we have feature parity (with older Pi models), so 1080p will continue to play well and won’t expose issues with MMAL + GBM. We also don’t waste time supporting something that will live a very short existence.

Return to “Media centres”