BFG

5.1 sound over optical, from Netflix and Prime

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Sorry if this is a question that's too specific. I have a Raspberry that I bough for one project and now it's surplus to requirements, so I might try and build it as a media player.

A problem I have is that my 10yr old AV receiver only has an optical input, so it can handle DTS and Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus.

I've just returned a Nvidia Shield, which I believe is based on Kodi, because Netflix and Prime have been built to not support any 5.1 standard earlier than Dolby Digital Plus. I know the rig is set up right because Plex from the Nvidia Shield gives DTS 5.1 in full.
But, netflix and prime come through in PCM 2.0.

Before I start a long path of learning, does anyone know of a platform I can use on the Pi where netflix + prime apps have licenced Dolby Digital?

Edit: I should mention that I have a hardware HDMI switch that can extract optical audio.

fruitoftheloom

Re: 5.1 sound over optical, from Netflix and Prime

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:50 pm

BFG wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 pm
Sorry if this is a question that's too specific. I have a Raspberry that I bough for one project and now it's surplus to requirements, so I might try and build it as a media player.

A problem I have is that my 10yr old AV receiver only has an optical input, so it can handle DTS and Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus.

I've just returned a Nvidia Shield, which I believe is based on Kodi, because Netflix and Prime have been built to not support any 5.1 standard earlier than Dolby Digital Plus. I know the rig is set up right because Plex from the Nvidia Shield gives DTS 5.1 in full.
But, netflix and prime come through in PCM 2.0.

Before I start a long path of learning, does anyone know of a platform I can use on the Pi where netflix + prime apps have licenced Dolby Digital?

The nVidia Shield TV Box runs Android TV OS, whilst the Shield Tablet runs Android OS.

Netflix and Amazon Prime require DRM and the Raspberry Pi SBC is not a "Trusted Platform"
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

BFG

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:07 pm

Thank you fruitoftheloom, you've saved me a lot of heartache and possibly others will find this thread useful too.

I'll think of a different project for my pi. Maybe home automation.

noggin

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:17 am

Off topic - but to answer the OP's question - I'd check both the Apple TV and the Amazon Fire TV for Dolby Digital (not DD+) compatibility with Netflix and Amazon.

I'm pretty certain the Apple TV will output legacy Dolby Digital and I have a feeling the Fire TV may do too. The new Fire TV Stick 4K and the Pendant both support frame rate switching in some apps. The Apple TV 4 and 4K both support frame rate switching too (which is important to avoid judder when playing content shot at different frame rates)

Return to “Media centres”