Akashdeep Dhar

Help needed for making a OTA PVR OSMC Set Top Box of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 am

Hi there,

Akashdeep Dhar here! I've been playing about with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B since about three months, when today I ran out of all ideas for making a PVR out of an OSMC installation on RPi3 Model B and had to come here. I'm totally new in this forum to bear with my introductory talk. I agree that there are tons of guides out there but none of them clearly lets me know of what all things I'd be needing apart from the hardware point of view and some basic installation methods, which I could have found out anyway if I lingered about it a bit. 8-)

So, here are my questions.
  • Is it mandatory to have a MPEG-2 or/and VC-1 codec licenses for decoding received signals over-the-air? If so, from where I can buy them and how much would they cost in India?
  • I live in India. So we have either DVB-S or DVB-T signal reception. I'd be ordering it from either Flipkart or Amazon. Which USB TV Tuner would be preferred the most and would be supported by the backend drivers on PI?
  • What settings need to be done on the antenna, apart from orienting it to the right direction at the right angle?
  • [LET ME KNOW, IF I'M MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING WHICH YOU BELIEVE IS IMPORTANT]

Please do take some moments of your valuable time and assist me in this build. I'd be obliged. :)

drgeoff

Re: Help needed for making a OTA PVR OSMC Set Top Box of Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:54 am

AFAIK VC1 is not used for over the air TV broadcasting in any country. H.262 (=MPEG-2 Part 2) and H.264 (=MPEG-4 Part 10) are the most common. RPis include a licence for GPU hardware assisted H.264 decode. Standard definition H.262 may be decodeable without hardware GPU on a RPi3. If you need a codec licence it is available from https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ (Scroll to the bottom.)

Apart from orientation of aerial or dish and LNB there are no adjustments necessary or possible.

HiroProtagonist

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:47 am

Akashdeep Dhar wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 am
Is it mandatory to have a MPEG-2
It is only mandatory if the TV system in your country uses MPEG-2 - you will know more about that than most of us.

gkreidl

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 am

Getting the right USB receiver (DVB-S or DVB-T) is the most crucial thing, because many are not supported by Linux and some require compiling a driver. Try to get one which is supported by the kernel:
https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hard ... nformation
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Media centres”