Chapindad

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:23 am

I got it downloaded. Thanks.

I have it loaded and running. I need to go and get me a USB drive to put my music on it....

Chapindad

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Next question and this could be a noob question.

I have the LMS running and the squeezeplayer loaded also. The music seems to be playing but I am not getting any sound. I loaded the squeezerplayer locally on my MacOSx and it does the same thing.

SoundSunPleasure

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Hello everybody,

I just received my RPi and immediately went about installing Squeezeplug. I'm using both the LAN and WLAN at the moment, and I am able to connect via SSH using either IP address.

I installed Logitech Media Server. Typing the "top" command shows that it's running.

However, when I try to connect using either address in my browser (http://192.168.0.4:9000 or http://192.168.0.7:9000, wlan or lan), I get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.0.4:9000".

I checked my router and no ports are blocked. Cable company (Time Warner, who supplied the Motorola router) confirmed that no ports are blocked.

What should I try next? I'm stuck, but oh, so close!

Argon

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Did you do the update of squeezeplug from 5.0 to 5.05 version? You can do this by entering the Setup wizard.

SoundSunPleasure

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:24 pm

@Argon,

I did not. In fact, I figured it out just as this post was approved. I ran apt-get update (found that buried in this thread) and reinstalled LMS. Worked great! I'm scanning my library now and listening to Radio Paradise (with a few stutters, which I hope will go away when the scanning stops).

onefatsurfer

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:32 am

Hello everyone,
I first want to say thanks to truehl for all his work on this.

I have a r-pi 512mb with squeezeplug 5.05 installed and the latest version of squeezelite installed per the instructions that were listed recently. I can see my Squeezelite on LMS (which is running on my PC) and I have audio coming through my USB DAC/Headphone AMP (Fiio E10) The issue I'm having is that the sound coming out of the E10 is very crackly/popping. The DAC shows up as:

Code: Select all

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audio [DigiHug USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Audio [DigiHug USB Audio], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
root@SqueezePlug:~#
Anyone else have this issue?

truehl

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 am

onefatsurfer wrote:Hello everyone,
I first want to say thanks to truehl for all his work on this.

I have a r-pi 512mb with squeezeplug 5.05 installed and the latest version of squeezelite installed per the instructions that were listed recently. I can see my Squeezelite on LMS (which is running on my PC) and I have audio coming through my USB DAC/Headphone AMP (Fiio E10) The issue I'm having is that the sound coming out of the E10 is very crackly/popping. The DAC shows up as:

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audio [DigiHug USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: Audio [DigiHug USB Audio], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
Anyone else have this issue?
Please post the output of:

/sp/scripts/squeezelite -l
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

onefatsurfer

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:06 pm

login as: root
root@squeezeplug's password:
Linux SqueezePlug 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Fri Dec 28 21:16:46 2012 from rob-laptop.home
root@SqueezePlug:~# /sp/scripts/squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  sysdefault:CARD=Audio          - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0         - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0        - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

truehl

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 pm

[quote="onefatsurfer"]login as: root
root@squeezeplug's password:
Linux SqueezePlug 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Fri Dec 28 21:16:46 2012 from rob-laptop.home
root@SqueezePlug:~# /sp/scripts/squeezelite -l
Output devices:
null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
sysdefault:CARD=Audio - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

root@SqueezePlug:~#[/quote]

Please try this:
[code]/usr/bin/squeezelite -o front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0[/code]
And report back!
truehl

onefatsurfer

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:26 pm

It still plays, but is still crackling throughout the entire song. :|
I've been starting it up with

squeezelite -o front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
from the root, and getting the same results. I also have set the default audio source to be USB audio, I believe, since it plays through the USB DAC on boot-up. Only issue I'm having is the crackling.

castalla

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Quick update on bt setup.

The only way I can get this to work is to run from command line AFTER bt is switched on. Otherwise squeezelite fails to run.

This limits the useability - I'm sure somebody out there with linux skills could probably write a startup script which checks whether bt is on or not and set the output accordingly.

I've taken this as far as I can go with my limited skills - and SWMBO is fed up with the system going up and down every time I make an edit!

truehl

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:58 pm

onefatsurfer wrote:It still plays, but is still crackling throughout the entire song. :|
I've been starting it up with

squeezelite -o front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
from the root, and getting the same results. I also have set the default audio source to be USB audio, I believe, since it plays through the USB DAC on boot-up. Only issue I'm having is the crackling.
Please wait one ore two more days for the upcoming version, maybe it works then!
truehl

onefatsurfer

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:10 pm

I will try that. Thanks for looking into it!

SoundSunPleasure

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm

I have my WD MyBook USB drive plugged into the RPi with my entire FLAC library (1TB). The other USB port has the Edimax EW-7811Un wireless adapter plugged in it.

I'm using the onboard audio output to my stereo system. However, I'd like to upgrade to a DAC for better sound quality.

Since I'm using both USB ports, that pretty much leaves me with HDMI as my only option. Can anybody recommend an HDMI audio extractor that costs $100 or less? I found this on Amazon, but I'm not sure if this would be compatible with the RPi, or if the digital-to-analog conversion is of good quality:
http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digital ... 1356801827

Thank you truehl for this outstanding software!

truehl

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:19 pm

SoundSunPleasure wrote:I have my WD MyBook USB drive plugged into the RPi with my entire FLAC library (1TB). The other USB port has the Edimax EW-7811Un wireless adapter plugged in it.

I'm using the onboard audio output to my stereo system. However, I'd like to upgrade to a DAC for better sound quality.

Since I'm using both USB ports, that pretty much leaves me with HDMI as my only option. Can anybody recommend an HDMI audio extractor that costs $100 or less? I found this on Amazon, but I'm not sure if this would be compatible with the RPi, or if the digital-to-analog conversion is of good quality:
http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digital ... 1356801827

Thank you truehl for this outstanding software!
I recommend to buy this DAC:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA20 ... 737&sr=8-1
This DAC will work out of the box with very good sound, even on the analogue jack. You can also use optical S/PDIF or analogue chinch.

The upcoming image has an extra option to use such DACS.

I'm quite sure the new version SqueezePlug 6 will be ready before year end!
truehl

Trixster

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Thomas, what can we expect from v6?

steves999

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Trixster wrote:Thomas, what can we expect from v6?
I believe there are some significant improvements - the thing I'm most excited about are the soft/hard float options - I miss spotify!

truehl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:42 am

steves999 wrote:
Trixster wrote:Thomas, what can we expect from v6?
I believe there are some significant improvements - the thing I'm most excited about are the soft/hard float options - I miss spotify!
It's hard to tell in some few words, the main improvement will be this:
1. The images for SD-Cards are now based on the official foundation versions. So you can have all the advantages from both, SqueezePlug and Raspbian / Wheezy. It will be also possible to "upgrade" from the foundation images to Squeezeplug. (That comes some days later than the new images)
2. SqueezePlug will only supports Raspberry Pi devices (all versions). All the other support for other devices will be dropped, so it's much easier to get all out of the Pi devices.
3. There will be 2 versions of SqueezePlug 6: One Hard-Float (the standard version) and one Soft-Float. Hard-Float will give you am extra kick of performance, Soft-Float the compatibility to things not supported for Hard-Float, like Spotify and others. You can't switch between these versions, you have to decide in the beginning. If you don't like to use graphical x-stuff, which is unnecessary for SqueezePlug the persormance of the Soft-Float version is absolutely o.k.
4. I've changed (and still changing) a lot of details in the scripts, addressing both, usability and functions.
5. New functions will be:
- Make SqueezePlug it's own Access Point if you like
- Delete X-related packages if you like
- Test and Change audio settings with an easy script
- install Webmin if you like
6. The installation and handling of the up-to-date versions of SqueezeSlave and SqueezeLite will be improved. Hard-Ware support for external sound cards and DACs will be added.

As I said before, I hope i'll be ready at year end, so you will be prepared for a great 2013.

The Wiki and videos will also be updated, but that will take some time more!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl

SoundSunPleasure

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 pm

truehl wrote:I recommend to buy this DAC:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA20 ... 737&sr=8-1
This DAC will work out of the box with very good sound, even on the analogue jack. You can also use optical S/PDIF or analogue chinch.

The upcoming image has an extra option to use such DACS.

I'm quite sure the new version SqueezePlug 6 will be ready before year end!
Great news on SP6!

I'm specifically looking for an HDMI option, not a USB since I'm using both USB ports. I don't want to get into using USB hubs...

I've been listening to music today. I have the entire collection of FLACs on shuffle. I noticed that it's skipping some tracks. At first I thought it was because they had sampling rates higher than 44.1kHz, but then it started skipping some CD rips (16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC files). Is this a common problem? Is there a log file I can check to see what the problem might be?

TheD6Bel

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello,

For your new version you can add us manage GPIO when the music is played :roll: :oops: :D

the perfect system for a cheap multiroom server :D

Rastley

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm at risk here of asking a daft question but I'm beyond my knowledge here and my wife's unhappy about me wasting any more time :?

I have Squeezeplug and squeezeslave running on my RaspPI and had music playing from a local USB key (I had the same probs as Rajani with no access to web interface but was solved with wiping SD card and updating Debian before installing Squeezeplug). I want to take next step now and move from USB key to my music collection on the NAS, however this is where I have run into problems and found myself out of my depth.

When I run the script from setup prog using the following options:
IP of NFS server: 192.168.7.9
Samba server path: /shared/media/music

some messages flash up:
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting

Some further info:
- I am using an Iomega StorCenter ix2-200
- I have enabled NFS Service (with root account access allowed, don't know if this is necessary...)
- Storcenter also says "Paths to NFS folders are in the following form: /nfs/FolderName". So I have tried this variant in script too but still no luck.
- Folder is shared with no security set. NAS reports "Anyone can read or modify folder 'Shared' without a username or password."

Up till now I have had no luck and also I think every time I try a new variant I am adding a line to a config file somewhere (fstab ???) and so I am getting even more error messages as it tries all variants.

So I have two questions:
1. Any tips on what I am doing wrong to connect NAS?
2. How can I clean out this config file that generates all error messages?

Many thanks to anyone who reaches this far and to the developers of this excellent device.

Best regards,
Gavin.

paul433

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:12 pm

First off, this is a great distribution, I've had my pi's for a couple of weeks now. I have done a fair amount of testing to see what direction I want to go.

I have 2 512mb pi's running the latest Firmware. For what ever reason the firmware version in squeezeplug 5.05 would not boot everytime with the correct memory split. That seems to be solved in the latest (dec28th) firmware.

One pi is running LMS + Sq`lite this one is hardwire network. The second one is only running Sq`lite and is wireless.

I have been testing
Local USB Harddisk media storage
samba mounted media storage
128k mp3's
256k mp3's
flac

most things worked well with mp3's, but with the flac files, the wireless pi would get choppy audio. Not exactly sure why since the wifi connection was pushind 2+MB/s, but increasing the buffers helped. using -a3000:50 did the trick. If you are going to using syncing players, make sure to use the same buffer settings between all of the players.

The USB mounted hard disk seemed to have less hickups. But I don't want to do that. Will an NFS mount do better than samba?
TheD6Bel wrote:Hello,
For your new version you can add us manage GPIO when the music is played :roll: :oops: :D
the perfect system for a cheap multiroom server :D
I have this working using modified version squeezelite. The code has been tested with console debug messages, as soon as my relay module arrives, I'll finish the testing. Righ now the function is: The power button on in LMS will shut off a relay that powers down an amp. I also have an idle mode that after a stream finishes and there is no activity for a set period of time, it shuts down the amp, and will automatically power back up upon resuming. Right now the "Pause" button will prevent the system from sleeping.

truehl

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Rastley wrote:So I have two questions:
1. Any tips on what I am doing wrong to connect NAS?
2. How can I clean out this config file that generates all error
Can you try to use SAMBA instead of NFS ?
Cleaning up is easy:

nano /etc/fstab
Go to the end and delete all automatically generate entries, you will find a signature for the beginning of these settings.
truehl

Leussink

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:27 pm

Can we expect the release from version 6 today? I'm too excited

truehl

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Leussink wrote:Can we expect the release from version 6 today? I'm too excited
Yes, only a few hours left for release!
truehl