User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 pm

bobbydriver wrote:I'm curious about the Wireless stick – I have a Netgear N150, so when you say it "works out of the box" do you have some simple instructions for installing it with the SP image? At the moment I have the Pi ethernet hard-wired to my router but a working wireless connection would be a godsend! Any help is appreciated
Plug in the stick, type "setup" choose <network>, choose <WLAN> and type in net SSID of your WLAN, you password, choose DHCP or static IP, that's it!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

woi_doi
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 am

Hi Truehl,

Wunderbar job on Squeezeplug 5. I've been re-living my childhood listening to radio stations from all over the world but this time in superb digital quality. My family have been astounded that such a small device can be so versatile and your work on integrating LMS is fantastic.

Getting my Pi has made be use Linux for the first time and it's forced me to learn a lot of stuff very quickly so I offer a few observations that might help others :-

1. Follow Truehl's instructional video (allowing for changes to the menu system in Version 5) and your media should be recognised immediately and be available for playback.

2. Use a decent powered hub if you are going to use Wi-fi. I picked up this one http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-high-per ... ing-637257 which is very cheap at the moment and they have just taken another ten quid off! Besides having three powered USB ports it provides another socket that is designed to power Ipad2. So you're getting 2 amps of power delivered and available to the Pi and peripherals. A lot of problems magically go away when you have decent power.

3. Speaking of Wi-fi. Find out what chipset your dongle uses. I was delighted to find that my Sitecom WL-113 that has been sitting in my drawer for years worked first time. It's got a ZD1211 chipset so is supported out of the box - brilliant! Just enter your network's name (SSID) and tell it to pick up an address automatically or static and you're done!

4. If you are running your SqueezePi headless and SSH into it typing 'squeezeplug' should get you in without you having to know what ip address DHCP has assigned to it. Likewise for using your browser to get into LMS, 'squeezeplug:9000' should do the trick!

5. If for some reason you can't get into your SqueezPi using the method of 4 above, then SSH'ing into it may require you to deduce what ip DHCP has assigned. For linux, What I do is open a terminal on my remote machine and type 'ifconfig'. This will tell me what ip this remote machine has i.e 192.168.1.2 (yours will vary). This allows me to discount this address from the result of the next command I use 'arp -n' which should return the wireless addresses in use on the network. Using the address that is not your remote IP address you should be able to SSH into your Squeezeplug or browse to LMS.
Incidently typing 'dmesg' while SSH'd into your Pi can give you a lot of helpful information as to what's going on with it hardware and firmware wise and 'top' is great for insuring that squeezeplug is actually running happily!

6. Now for the teething problems - the updates stopped my squeezeplug dead in it's tracks. Don't know why exactly, but it happened on three attempts at installation. The fourth time I just left it at the 5.0 release and everything works perfectly. There's nothing in the update that affects me so I'm leaving it as it is. I'm happy, just passing on feedback for informational purposes.

7. May not be a Squeezeplug issue, but is there a setting that needs to be enabled so that if Wi-fi is disconnected for a moment LMS will begin streaming again once re-established rather than sitting there with no output? A hard re-start seems to be the only cure.

8. Definitely not a Squeezeplug issue and I'm only working my way through the LMS manual now, but can LMS be set to automatically start streaming, say a radio station on boot up. I like the fact the Squeezeplug can run headless but having to log in from another computer through SSH just to start output can have it's drawbacks.

9. Is there a small footprint (even text only browser) that could be used to output LMS's main page to the Pi's standard video out for comfort monitoring purposes? LMS does have a basic text only version of it's interface which I was thinking might suffice.

All in all, great work. I've had a lot of fun over the past couple of days with Squeezeplug and I feel this has been one of many boxes that I will deploy throughout my house.

Cheers!

woi_doi

bantammenace2012
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm

truehl wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:Hi, I've successfully installed Squeezeplug and SqueezeSlave onto my RPi. I can stream internet radio through HDMI so I know its working. My music is stored on a folder on a USB stick attached to a powered hub.
I am unable to browse to the media folder on the USB stick. How do I get it to appear in the 'Select a Folder Panel' ? Am i looking in the correct place ?
Do I need the USB stick in at boot or do I insert it after boot ?
Are there some things in Setup that I need to do ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Did you choose the Media Library option from the main menu? You have to configure the path to the USB-Stick from here!
Still no joy I'm afraid. I chose the Media Library option and the USB location. The USB stick is 64GB NTFS. Do I need to create specific folders to put my mp3s in ?
It tells me it is successfully mounted etc. at hd1.
The USB stick is listed when I type fdisk -l.

Any ideas ?

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:49 pm

bantammenace2012 wrote:Still no joy I'm afraid. I chose the Media Library option and the USB location. The USB stick is 64GB NTFS. Do I need to create specific folders to put my mp3s in ?
It tells me it is successfully mounted etc. at hd1.
The USB stick is listed when I type fdisk -l.

Any ideas ?
It looks everything is alright, what's the problem, don't you see the music on the LMS Web-Interface? Please try to browse the folder from RPi itself. Therefore type

Code: Select all

ls /mnt/hd1
Do you see the files here?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:36 pm

woi_doi wrote:6. Now for the teething problems - the updates stopped my squeezeplug dead in it's tracks. Don't know why exactly, but it happened on three attempts at installation. The fourth time I just left it at the 5.0 release and everything works perfectly. There's nothing in the update that affects me so I'm leaving it as it is. I'm happy, just passing on feedback for informational purposes.
That sounds strange, because all I do here is replace some files I the /sp/scripts folder! What exactly was the effect? Did others also saw this?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Rajani
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Hello Thomas,

I just got my RPi and installed Squeezeplug 5. So far I have installed LMS only. I have been able to resolve most of the problems except one: I cannot see the "Squeezebox Receiver" on my web interface (top right) - it indicates "Your player was not found ...". I should say prior to installing LMS on RPi, I also have LMS installed on my D-Link NAS (DNS-323) and it runs OK except is slow and hence my reason for installing LMS on RPi.

Anything I can do so that "Squeezebox Receiver" is activated on my web interface?

Thanks for your great work and help.

------------------------
Config:
NAS: D-Link DNS-323
Media players: LMS 7.6.2 - r33593 (on D-Link DNS-323); LMS: 7.7.2 - r33893 (on RPi)
Computers: MacBook Pro i5 (Mac OS x, Bootcamp/VMWare Windows 7), Raspberry Pi
Controllers: iPod (SqueezeBox), iPad (SqueezeBox)

StephenR
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:31 pm

woi_doi wrote:Hi Truehl,

8. Definitely not a Squeezeplug issue and I'm only working my way through the LMS manual now, but can LMS be set to automatically start streaming, say a radio station on boot up. I like the fact the Squeezeplug can run headless but having to log in from another computer through SSH just to start output can have it's drawbacks.

Cheers!

woi_doi
Not sure if you know you can use a phone with an app to remote control squeezeplayer.

cheers,

Stephen

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Rajani wrote:Anything I can do so that "Squeezebox Receiver" is activated on my web interface
I have 3 receivers and they all are shown on my web interface. Maybe it's because they are connected to the other LMS? You wrote you have iOS devices. Do you have iPeng (you should, cause it's great). Can iPeng see the receivers?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

jojojojojojo
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi,
has someone managed to sync squeezeslave with some other squeezebox using the same server?
I have squeezeserver and slave on the Pi and "Squeeze Player" on an Android device. The latter is just recognized as a squeezeplayer in the server-menue.
If I sync the two, squeezeslave and "Squeeze Player" they already quite unsynced and then one of them stops and never comes back?
There is so many sources of error, that I dont know where to start looking. If one of you got sync working, it might be problem with my network, or "Squeeze Player"..
Thanks already in advance,
Regards,
Johannes

scotspaul
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I have posted this on the squeezebox forums but i think this may be a better place to ask..

I have managed to get the squeezeplug up and running, and talking to my SB Touch. (Was surprised how easy it was actually)
One thing I am stuck on though, is how do I add more files to the (NTFS) USB-HD I have my music on after its all set up? I plan on running the PI headless plugged into my router under the stairs via ethernet cable so swapping the disc in and out just to connect to my PC directly isn't an option. Ideally I want to set up a mirror between the PI's HD and a HD on my PC, effectively giving me a backup as well as access to my music without the PC being switched on.

I can see the squeezeplug in my windows network list, and the folders 'music' and 'rootfs' in it.
I can only see the contents of folder 'rootfs' though. Trying to access the music folder throws up the error 'windows cannot access \\squeezeplu\music'

I am very new to Linux, so I will need a fairly simple explanation, or pointing in the direction of a set-up guide for network access


Thanks in advance for any help.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 pm

scotspaul wrote:I have posted this on the squeezebox forums but i think this may be a better place to ask..

I have managed to get the squeezeplug up and running, and talking to my SB Touch. (Was surprised how easy it was actually)
One thing I am stuck on though, is how do I add more files to the (NTFS) USB-HD I have my music on after its all set up? I plan on running the PI headless plugged into my router under the stairs via ethernet cable so swapping the disc in and out just to connect to my PC directly isn't an option. Ideally I want to set up a mirror between the PI's HD and a HD on my PC, effectively giving me a backup as well as access to my music without the PC being switched on.

I can see the squeezeplug in my windows network list, and the folders 'music' and 'rootfs' in it.
I can only see the contents of folder 'rootfs' though. Trying to access the music folder throws up the error 'windows cannot access \\squeezeplu\music'

I am very new to Linux, so I will need a fairly simple explanation, or pointing in the direction of a set-up guide for network access


Thanks in advance for any help.
First: Please patch SqueezePlug and you will see a second share from Windows. It will be /mnt . SqueezePlug version 5 is designed to mount external drives to /mnt . If it it your first attached HD you should mount it to /mnt/hd1 . To manage that, choose <Media_Handling> <Media_Library> then Option 4 for an external USB device. Be careful to navigate to option 4 and press the space tab so you will see a "(*)" at this option. You can then choose to format the device or to leave it as as is and to mount it only. If you follow these steps you should be able to access your external HD from your Windows PC.

Please tell me if you need more assistance.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Rajani
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 pm

truehl wrote:
Rajani wrote:Anything I can do so that "Squeezebox Receiver" is activated on my web interface
You are correct - it was connected to my older LMS. Since I do not have a SB Controller, I used an android app Squeeze Config (available here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... or-Android) to reset the location of my LMS. It worked first time. Thanks for all your help.

Rajani
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 pm

I have SqueezePlug 5 installed on my RPi. Can I install xbmc on my RPi without altering / changing the set-up for SqueezePlug 5? Any helpful leads would be much appreciated. Thanks.

bantammenace2012
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:38 pm

truehl wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:Still no joy I'm afraid. I chose the Media Library option and the USB location. The USB stick is 64GB NTFS. Do I need to create specific folders to put my mp3s in ?
It tells me it is successfully mounted etc. at hd1.
The USB stick is listed when I type fdisk -l.

Any ideas ?
It looks everything is alright, what's the problem, don't you see the music on the LMS Web-Interface? Please try to browse the folder from RPi itself. Therefore type

Code: Select all

ls /mnt/hd1
Do you see the files here?
No I do not see my MUSIC folder either on the RPi or LMS interface
I have tried a number of clean re-installs
I see following files on the RPi, but I do not see the folder called MUSIC:
backup bin boot data dev etc home itunes lib lost+found media mnt opt proc root run sbin selinux sp srv sys tmp usr var
(Note that the same memory stick automatically mounts and the MUSIC folder is accessible when using RaspBMC).
I also note that Castalla, jojojojojojo, SimonF and scotspaul all appeear to have had difficulty getting their USB memory stick recognised. Have any of them succeeded ?
When I configure the Media library for the file-system of the USB device it says 'non-ntfs'. In Windows 7 the properties of the USB device say NTFS. If I were to re-format the USB device as part of the setup when attached to the RPi which, if any, of the formats should I choose to allow it to still be read in Windows 7 and the MUSIC folder to be added to on my PC ?.

fyi I have read and re-read all the comments in this thread a number of times and I do not think that I am making wrong key presses.

Might it be that the NTFS driver is not working correctly ?

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:43 pm

bantammenace2012 wrote:Might it be that the NTFS driver is not working correctly ?
Can I reach you at Skype?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

bantammenace2012
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:49 pm

truehl wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:Might it be that the NTFS driver is not working correctly ?
Can I reach you at Skype?
Unfortunately not.
I have just re-formatted my USB as exfat on Windows 7 and tried again.
again the Filesystem reports as non-ntfs when mounting.
I could PM you to take this further if you wish ?

bantammenace2012
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:21 pm

bantammenace2012 wrote:
truehl wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:Might it be that the NTFS driver is not working correctly ?
Can I reach you at Skype?
Unfortunately not.
I have just re-formatted my USB as exfat on Windows 7 and tried again.
again the Filesystem reports as non-ntfs when mounting.
I could PM you to take this further if you wish ?
Good news. I have now got SqueezePlug and Squeezeplay working well.
Here are the steps that worked for me. They may help others. I have windows 7 on my PC and a 64GB USB drive. My SD card is a 16GB Sandisk Ultra class 6.
1. DO Format the SD card in the PC as FAT32. (I ignored the bit that said the USB druive was only 75MB in size).
2. DO Load the Squeezeplug image onto the card. I used Win32DiskImager to do this. Eject the card properly from the PC.
3. DO NOT have a wireless USB device attached to the RPi.
4. DO NOT have any music etc. on the USB drive as this will be erased when formatting in the RPi.
5. DO NOT have the USB drive attached to the RPi.
6. DO have the RPi connected to the internet by an ethernet cable to your router.
7. Put the SD card in the RPi
8. Connect power to the RPi.
9. Having re-sized and created a swap file, configure the media library in setup.
10. When instructed connect the USB drive to the RPi.
11. DO format it to FAT32 and mount it. This will create the necessary folders on the card.
12. DO install LMS and Squeezeplayer (or whichever server/players you want)
13. Remove power from the RPi. Take the USB drive and put it into the PC and copy your music to media/audio for example. Eject it properly.
14. Put the USB drive back into the RPi and power on.
15. When LMS is started in your web browser the music can be found.
16. Once things can be seen to be working on the wired LAN now go back and setup the WLAN if required.

I am new to all this but I don't like to be beaten. I must have re-installed about six times before I got it working. Hopefully this will help others. It would be nice to know what the critical step was that I had previously not got right. Could it be the formatting of the SD card and USB drive ?

kind regards and thanks for your great work Truehl

User avatar
Trixster
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:09 pm

Anyone running Version 5 with a new 512mb RPi? Does it run any faster than the stock 256mb version on searches, scanning, web interface etc?

What memory splits are people using for 256mb Pi's? What are people using with 512mb versions?

lyzby
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:34 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 am

I installed squeezeplug v5 on my r-pi yesterday, including squeezeslave. I plugged in my 32g usb flash drive with 11K tunes on it. I could access squeezeplug:9000 and saw it scanning--up to 8K out of the 11K before I went to bed.

Today I get "Could not connect to remote server" when I try squeezeplug:9000--also when I try ipaddr:9000. I can ssh into the r-pi. When I run top, it says squeezeboxserve is taking between 97.8 and 99% CPU.

Is this likely to be because of the number of tunes? If so, and if I want to start over with fewer, is there a way to clear the scanned database and put in a usb flash drive with fewer tunes?

Any other suggestions about how I should proceed?

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:48 am

lyzby wrote:I installed squeezeplug v5 on my r-pi yesterday, including squeezeslave. I plugged in my 32g usb flash drive with 11K tunes on it. I could access squeezeplug:9000 and saw it scanning--up to 8K out of the 11K before I went to bed.

Today I get "Could not connect to remote server" when I try squeezeplug:9000--also when I try ipaddr:9000. I can ssh into the r-pi. When I run top, it says squeezeboxserve is taking between 97.8 and 99% CPU.

Is this likely to be because of the number of tunes? If so, and if I want to start over with fewer, is there a way to clear the scanned database and put in a usb flash drive with fewer tunes?

Any other suggestions about how I should proceed?
I see three possibilities of things that may went wrong here:
1. Problem: Maybe you ran out of space on the SD-Card. Solution: Expand the Root FS to the full size of your card. Use the option from the setup menu.
2. Problem: You ran out of RAM while scanning. Solution: Activate the swap file from the setup menu.
3. Problem: The file names or MP3 tags of your music files causes LMS to fail during scanning. This a well know issue on LMS since long. It does not depend on the size of the library, it just happens in some circumstances. Solution: Try to scan with some well named and tagged files first.

To clear the database you can simply choose the option from LMS server.

Hope that helps
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 am

Trixster wrote:Anyone running Version 5 with a new 512mb RPi? Does it run any faster than the stock 256mb version on searches, scanning, web interface etc?

What memory splits are people using for 256mb Pi's? What are people using with 512mb versions?
I have not tried it, because I don't own one! I think there will be no significant difference in speed, because LMS don't use a large amount of RAM. But you should try! Right now SqueezePlug has no build in script to handle 512MB. That's because the community is still working on a proper solution. The complete startelf behavior will be changed. I'll make an update when work is finished here. Right now you have to do it by yourself if you own a 512 RPi.

With my 256 RPi I use the following setup:
Turbo mode 1GHz
16 MB for GPU
496 MB for CPU
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

bobbydriver
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 am

I have a 512mb RPi and it is certainly a lot more responsive and reliable so far than the 256mb GoFlex Net that I was using previously

I didn't realise that there was something additional to be setup regarding the memory - are there any further details available for this that I can investigate?

lyzby
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:34 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:55 pm

@truehl,

Thanks for your suggestions. Out of space it was--the logs for squeezeboxserver and squeezeslave showed that. I expanded rootfs and it now works, with top showing, for instance, squeezeboxserver at 3.3% cpu and squeezeslave at 5.2%. My 8gb sd card shows 23% use.

There is another problem. Most of my albums are playing correctly, but I have some mp3s which play correctly on my laptop, but play at double speed with squeezeslave on the r-pi. That makes for impossible guitar riffs and Alvin and the Chipmonks vocals. Any ideas about that issue?

Thanks for this very compact solution to having a large music collection available--and portable.

Argon
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 am

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello,

the 3.5 audio output makes a lot of noise on my Raspberry Pi setup. With HDMI it works ok!
What is the best/cheapest way to solve this problem

Buy a USB DAC (suggestions are welcome)
Or buy a HDMI to audio convertor (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-HDMI-to-VG ... 691wt_1164 )?

Thx !

scotspaul
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:59 pm

Argon wrote:Hello,

the 3.5 audio output makes a lot of noise on my Raspberry Pi setup. With HDMI it works ok!
What is the best/cheapest way to solve this problem

Buy a USB DAC (suggestions are welcome)
Or buy a HDMI to audio convertor (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-HDMI-to-VG ... 691wt_1164 )?
Thx !
If your after a cheap USB DAC I've heard great things about this item, http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-D3-Coaxial ... B0053VKP8S given its price.

I've spent a while over the last day or so fiddling with the setup of the squeezeplug and have finally got it working to my satisfaction (ie i can see the folder from my windows PC and add files remotely just by drag & drop - I have the folder mapped). Problem is i don't know what the critical thing was that I have done differently now to my previous failed attempts.

What I did do though that may be important are-
1) I ran the update option in the setup menu, updating from 500 to 502
2) I pre-formatted the HD with NTFS format on my PC first
3) I didn't connect the HD until told to do so by the setup program
4) I only followed info & instructions from the video on the squeezeplug webpage, I didn't need to do anything listed in the wiki. (which looks pretty complicated)


Good luck if your still trying to get this running, it is worth it :)
So thanks truehl for your efforts, I really appreciate it
Cheers
Paul

Return to “Media centres”