Ilidjane

Non official screen alimentation 9V

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi everyone!

I would like to connect a screen (10inch non official, no touch) to my raspberrypi. However i understood my raspberry pi is 5V (i don't know the Amperage) and my screen is connected to an interface that is apparently 9V (i don't know the Amperage). i would like at the end to have only one electrical plug that goes to the wall in order to power both the raspberry pi and the screen.
Is anyone knows how to realise this?
DSC_0247-copie.jpg
DSC_0247-copie.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
DSC_0246-copie.jpg
DSC_0246-copie.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Thank a lot.
Regards

Paul

drgeoff

Re: Non official screen alimentation 9V

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Either:

1. Get a 5 volt PSU and a 5 volt to 9 volt dc-dc converter.

or

2. Get a 9 volt PSU and a 9 volt to 5 volt dc-dc converter.

Ilidjane

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks,
I have already a 5V PSU so i would maybe go for a 5V to 9V DC/DC.

However i can't find any DC/DC 5V to 9V, and in addition to that it's a component piece (with three pins if it's the correct pieces i looked at) so how do i connect this component to the interface and raspberrypi?

drgeoff

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:43 pm

Ilidjane wrote:Thanks,
I have already a 5V PSU so i would maybe go for a 5V to 9V DC/DC.

However i can't find any DC/DC 5V to 9V, and in addition to that it's a component piece (with three pins if it's the correct pieces i looked at) so how do i connect this component to the interface and raspberrypi?
Can you provide a link to that component with three pins?

mikronauts

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:03 am

I am familiar with those hdmi converter boards.

Normally they accept 9V-12V, check with your vendor

Just get a 12V wall-wart power supply, 1A-2A (I believe that display+board will use somewhere between .6A and 1A)

Don't try to power it from the Pi's 5V.

Edit:

Here is my article on a similar display, that one worked all the way down to 5V. Power tests on page 4.

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... er-review/
Ilidjane wrote:Hi everyone!

I would like to connect a screen (10inch non official, no touch) to my raspberrypi. However i understood my raspberry pi is 5V (i don't know the Amperage) and my screen is connected to an interface that is apparently 9V (i don't know the Amperage). i would like at the end to have only one electrical plug that goes to the wall in order to power both the raspberry pi and the screen.
Is anyone knows how to realise this?
DSC_0247-copie.jpg
DSC_0246-copie.jpg
Thank a lot.
Regards

Paul
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

tinylcd

Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:22 am

hello

here is one more 10 inch ips screen

which works on single 5 volts power supply

the required power supply to drive raspberry pi and the 10 inch screen is provided (see the pictures on the link)

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... &cPath=257

regards
tinylcd

Ilidjane

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:26 am

Hi, thanks for your answer. I red your article, However i don't get how you manage to power both, the screen and the raspberrypi? If i understood well, you use one 9v or 12v power supply for the screen, and one power supply 5v for the raspberypi: so two power supply at the end?

klricks

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:27 am

Ilidjane wrote:Hi, thanks for your answer. I red your article, However i don't get how you manage to power both, the screen and the raspberrypi? If i understood well, you use one 9v or 12v power supply for the screen, and one power supply 5v for the raspberypi: so two power supply at the end?
Use one 12V power supply and connect the 12V to the screen AND also connect the same 12V to a step down converter 12V to 5V for the RPi.
Google [5V UBEC] or get a cheap automotive USB converter and break it apart and use that converter.

Another option is to get a dual output 12V & 5V power supply meant for disk drive enclosures:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-12 ... SwA3dYMnTK

You can also get Drive 'Y' adapters and Drive to USB adapter cables for the above to make wiring easier.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Ilidjane

Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks for your answer. I finally got a 9V alimentation (the screen is 9V and not 12V). I've been searching a lot about these step down converter but i can't find any that goes from 9V to 5V.

The other solution i found is to do voltage dividers with two resistances but the problem seems to be that it create a lot of heat and a possibility to melt the transistors... so not the best choice at the end.

Do you know where i can find a step down converter that goes from 9V to 5V?

klricks

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Ilidjane wrote:Thanks for your answer. I finally got a 9V alimentation (the screen is 9V and not 12V). I've been searching a lot about these step down converter but i can't find any that goes from 9V to 5V.

The other solution i found is to do voltage dividers with two resistances but the problem seems to be that it create a lot of heat and a possibility to melt the transistors... so not the best choice at the end.

Most step down converters have a wide input voltage specification. Here is one example with Input 6V-16V and 5V 3A out: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1385
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:13 am

Ilidjane wrote:Thanks for your answer. I finally got a 9V alimentation (the screen is 9V and not 12V). I've been searching a lot about these step down converter but i can't find any that goes from 9V to 5V.

Step-Down: http://www.banggood.com/LM2596-DC-DC-Ve ... mds=search

Step-Up (boost): http://www.banggood.com/XL6009-Step-Up- ... mds=search

Return to “Media centres”