Boeeerb

Re: XBMC OpenELEC and LCD HD44780 via GPIO

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 pm

LCDd would sort out itself what to write on the screen providing the size=16x1 is set correct. The interesting bit is it does it when first switched on or hard reset, but soft reset (sudo reboot) or LCDd restart it works as expected, correct?

So maybe a power issue? Is the Pi itself getting enough with plenty to spare down the 5 rail? What power supply and rating are you using? As the display may draw too much on initialisation?
Find me on Twitter - @Boeeerb
Website - http://www.boeeerb.co.uk

holmez

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:44 pm

It does it both when switched on & when rebooted - in fact, it appeared to happen exactly as xbmc flashed up its network detected message.

It may be a power issue - I only have a 1A power adaptor, running the pi, a hub, a HD and the LCD screen (I've never had any problems with the pi - I got about 5V between TP1 and TP2 - so I'm happy in that respect.) I also have a strange power setup for the LCD screen - I'm running off the 3.3V line, and increasing the voltage, via a 555 timer and capacitors (I'm not really sure why I did this now) into the LCD.

delinend

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Maybe long cable, to LCD display ?

Best regards.

Rhyr

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 pm

If someone is interested, to get backlight on/off on Rev.B (don't know if it work in Rev.A) i've followed the diagram on the link below:
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/docs/cur ... ht.circuit
you can set the pin u want, add BL="your gpio port" to the LCDd.conf and it work perfectly.
Also, for raspbmc users, i advice to use the xbmc-lcdproc addon from the official repo instead of the build-in manager, that work better.

Hope I was helpful to someone :D

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Rhyr wrote:If someone is interested, to get backlight on/off on Rev.B (don't know if it work in Rev.A) i've followed the diagram on the link below:
you can set the pin u want, add BL="your gpio port" to the LCDd.conf and it work perfectly.
Also, for raspbmc users, i advice to use the xbmc-lcdproc addon from the official repo instead of the build-in manager, that work better.

Thanks - I didn't know there was an official add-on for lcdproc. What is 'better' about it?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Rhyr

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 pm

texy wrote:
Rhyr wrote:If someone is interested, to get backlight on/off on Rev.B (don't know if it work in Rev.A) i've followed the diagram on the link below:

Thanks - I didn't know there was an official add-on for lcdproc. What is 'better' about it?

Texy
Better performace and charter management, i don't know if happened only to me, but with the built-in management i've had a lot of issue with the visualization on screen, also, with this add-on you are able to change settings directly on xbmc without using terminal. :)

scjgreen

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:20 pm

I have a GPIO IR Sensor connected as in http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=5549

Would i still be able to connect an LCD/VFD in the manner mentioned in this post?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Boeeerb

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 am

Yes you can, but you'd need to choose a free gpio pin and adjust the LCDd.conf to suit your pin adjustment

scjgreen

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:20 pm

What about Power as the IR Reciever is connected to the 5V Pin?

Boeeerb

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Depending on how your wiring them, they will both share the pin, you may have to cut the wires to join both +5's to the same connector. If you wish (I haven't tried it my self but no harm in trying) and try hooking LCD to 3.3 to see if that is sufficient

scjgreen

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 am

Just noticed my IR reciever is connected to 3.3v so that leaves the 5v free :)

What's the consensus on connecting more that one cable to each pin?

I was thinking of splicing together a 4 into 1 header connector to attach to Pin 6. Can anyone see a problem with that?

Thanks
Steve

holmez

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:13 am

Boeeerb wrote:LCDd would sort out itself what to write on the screen providing the size=16x1 is set correct. The interesting bit is it does it when first switched on or hard reset, but soft reset (sudo reboot) or LCDd restart it works as expected, correct?

So maybe a power issue? Is the Pi itself getting enough with plenty to spare down the 5 rail? What power supply and rating are you using? As the display may draw too much on initialisation?
Perhaps I should update on my original problem:

Have reinstalled raspian with the release version, and reinstalled everything else as necessary, and haven't had the problem since. (A couple of weeks now)

So thanks everybody for suggestions and trying to help.

delinend

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi.

My hd44780 20x2 display, Works fine with the hd44780.so driver, from Serac.
But I now try to Build my one hd44780.

My question: Dos this two sites, contain everything I need, to build my one lcdpro to my Raspberry?
http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/nightly/
http://lcdproc.cvs.sourceforge.net/

When I Build the lcdproc, and start it with "LCDd -c /usr/local/etc/LCDd.conf", it say's

Code: Select all

hd44780: unknown ConnectionType: rpi
Driver [hd44780] init failed, return code -1
Could not load driver hd44780
There is no output driver
Critical error while initializing, abort.
Any idea's ?

Best regards

ASDned

Sun May 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello Boeerb,

I did follow your great instruktions and the LCD is working fine but I am struggeling with the Linux software becoarse I am new at this. The scrolling text is to fast and I try to slow it down with your info. I made a new file advancedsettings.xml in home/pi/.xbmc/userdata with sudo nano advancedsettings.xml) witch says:
<lcd>
<scrolldelay>2</scrolldelay>
</lcd>
Must the file exist in a differend folder? Do I need to tell OpenElec to look for this file:oops:?

Keep up the good work.

delinend

Mon May 06, 2013 1:04 pm

ASDned wrote:Hello Boeerb,

I did follow your great instruktions and the LCD is working fine but I am struggeling with the Linux software becoarse I am new at this. The scrolling text is to fast and I try to slow it down with your info. I made a new file advancedsettings.xml in home/pi/.xbmc/userdata with sudo nano advancedsettings.xml) witch says:
<lcd>
</lcd>
Must the file exist in a differend folder? Do I need to tell OpenElec to look for this file:oops:?

Keep up the good work.
This is my advancedsetting.xml:

<advancedsettings>

<lcd>
  <dimonscreensave>true</dimonscreensave>
  <scrolldelay>5</scrolldelay>
 </lcd>

</advancedsettings>

ASDned

Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanx for the reply,
I did put your file in the Advancedsettings.xml but nope. Are files that I put in the userdata map automaticly executed?

Here my data as I made it now:

pi@raspbmc:~$ cd /home/pi/.xbmc/userdata
pi@raspbmc:~/.xbmc/userdata$ sudo nano advancedsettings.xml
GNU nano 2.2.6 File: advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>

<lcd>
<scrolldelay>5</scroldelay>
</lcd>

<advancedsettings>

Am I dislectic, missing something or is there a thing I should know?

delinend

Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 am

ASDned wrote:Thanx for the reply,
I did put your file in the Advancedsettings.xml but nope. Are files that I put in the userdata map automaticly executed?

Here my data as I made it now:

pi@raspbmc:~$ cd /home/pi/.xbmc/userdata
pi@raspbmc:~/.xbmc/userdata$ sudo nano advancedsettings.xml
GNU nano 2.2.6 File: advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>

<lcd>
<scrolldelay>5</scroldelay>
</lcd>

<advancedsettings>

Am I dislectic, missing something or is there a thing I should know?
Arr.. If you are using OpenElec, then place it in /storage/.xbmc/userdata
Yes, XBMC will autoload the file :-)

delinend

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 am

Arr.. They are planing to remove LCD/VFD support, from the new XBMC 13.x :-(

ASDned

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Sorry for the no respose time but i had some family things. :(

Arggg,
LCD offline with the next firmware? It should be a downloadable addon!

delinend

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:10 pm

ASDned wrote:Sorry for the no respose time but i had some family things. :(

Arggg,
Yes. But the new XBMC LCDproc addon is not containing the LCDproc server. So there is a problem when upgrading OpenElec with Gothan Alpha release 13. They moved the LCDproc, to a Python platform, in the addon. But I can't see, how it will Work, without the server and the hd44780.so driver :-(

Maybe someone have an idea ?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1438760

delinend

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:24 pm

ASDned wrote:Sorry for the no respose time but i had some family things. :(

Arggg,
Hi ASDned.

Do you know, how to get the new LCDproc XBMC addon to Work, on Openelec, from release 13 (Gotham), without the LCDproc server ?

Best regards

ASDned

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:31 pm

I dont know but if the data is'nt send to a connection maybe the io pins will be programmed directly from the addon?

delinend

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 am

ASDned wrote:I dont know but if the data is'nt send to a connection maybe the io pins will be programmed directly from the addon?
Arr.. Now the LCDproc server part, is back in the Gotham build again, and everything Works now. :-) Maybe they have remove to mutch, when they removed lcdproc from XBMC.

I still have the LCDd.conf, where I insert the Type=rpi and all pin configurations. And I then install the new XBMC.lcdproc addon. And it Works now. But to get it Work correctly, I must add this to the advancedsettings.xml

<lcd>
  <rows>2</rows>           <!-- Number of rows to use for the LCD. -->
  <columns>20</columns>    <!-- Number of columns to use for the LCD. -->
  <address1>0</address1>   <!-- Memory address for row 1. -->
  <address2>20</address2>  <!-- Memory address for row 2. -->
  <heartbeat>false</heartbeat> <!-- Enables LCDprocs heartbeat symbol. Defaults to false. -->
 </lcd>
Thanks for reply :-)

Tenocticatl

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Bit late to the party. I was running RaspBMC, but openelec performs way better for me. I used the tutorial on Techfruit to get my LCD working on RaspBMC.

Is there any word on using the methods outlined in this thread to get a 20x4 screen working in OpenElec (patch, compile etc.)? Someone mentioned only smaller screens work.

Thanks.

livs

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:54 am

Hello,
I am a beginner in Pi stuff and I need some help.
I just put an LCD to an Pi with Openelec with no results in bringing something to lcd.

The LCD is as HD44790 device, connected to Pi by GPIO as http://learn.adafruit.com/drive-a-16x2- ... -pi/wiring.
I make my LCDd.conf as required (I think so) and lcdproc is working as by telnet I can connect and run commands.
But both lcdproc and XBMC do not feed the LCD with characters, I have only first line filled with boxes.

What I do more:
I changed the driver with different versions, including those from this topic, no results.
In Openelec I do all settings required (I have an Imon on a media pc case that works).
In LCDd.conf I add the configuration lines as per wiring from above
I do activate XBMC lcdproc addon, I have the message it is connected to lcdproc, nothing on lcd.

What can I do more?

Thank you.

Return to “Media centres”