HiroProtagonist

Re: Practicality of OTA PVR

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:16 am

In my country the EPG is handled differently to most other countries on DVB-T, so I had to do quite a bit of work to get an EPG working.

If you have problems with playing files after a Kodi upgrade, this is unlikely to be a TVHeadend issue, so asking for input on the Kodi forums would be worthwhile. If you have ffmpeg installed, the difference in output of 'ffmpeg -i <filename>' on a file that works and one that doesn't might be helpful.

TVHeadend has a config option to record in a .mkv container instead of .ts - you may find it useful to try that.

Wurlitzer28

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:12 pm

HiroProtagonist thank you very much for the reply.

I have set up a new recording profile using the MKV instead of the TS format.

I had to temporarily switch back to ServerWMC as I could no longer view the TS format but I am now testing the MKV to see if KODI 17 can view them.

I have given up on posting anything to the KODI forum as if you have any addon they don't like and they see it in the debug log they will just ignore your post. They are downright nasty about this.

This is like saying a Ford dealer will not service my car if I have added a new radio from a Dodge.

KODI is at no legal risk for what I place on my equipment. I agree with their position on pre-configured KODI boxes though as this could be a gray legal area.

I fully understand that they have zero obligation to provide help for an unauthorized addon but when that addon has absolutely nothing to do with the problem at hand then they are doing a disservice to everyone by ignoring a valid addon problem.

Wurlitzer28

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:29 pm

HiroProtagonist, I tried the MKV file format and all I got was audio and upon hitting "Enter" a second time, I got the CD icon + audio indicating KODI was treating this like a music CD.

All 3 KODI Krypton systems [NVIDIA Shield, Raspberry Pi 3/LibreElec, Windows 7 64 bit] are experiencing the same issue with recordings from TVHeadend but they will all play OTA recordings from WMC/ServerWMC.

This makes me very reluctant to implement my backup plan "C" of a Western Digital Cloud NAS running the HDHR DVR software. So far only Windows 7 WMC seems to work well in KODI Krypton.

HiroProtagonist

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:38 am

"I tried the MKV file format and all I got was audio and upon hitting "Enter" a second time, I got the CD icon + audio indicating KODI was treating this like a music CD."

Typically this will happen if the file you're trying to play is not supported by the Pi's GPU - for example trying to play an MPEG-2 file without an MPEG-2 license installed.

Upgrading your Kodi version should have no impact on this at all.

I suggest you try the ffmpeg test I suggested earlier - without this info it's really impossible to offer any advice.

I see that you can't easily install ffmpeg on OSMC, so use avconv. You can install with:

sudo apt-get install libav-tools

Then you should be able to get the video info of <file> with:

avconv -i <file>

It will complain that you haven't specified an output file, but we don't care about that. The Stream # lines are the interesting ones. Here's a file on my PVR:

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(tv, bt470bg), 720x576 [SAR 16:11 DAR 20:11], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: aac (HE-AAC), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: dvb_subtitle (default)

This is a standard definition file encoded with h264 [i.e. mp4]. It would be useful to see what yours report - remember it would be most useful to see the output from one that plays properly, and one that doesn't.

Wurlitzer28

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Thank you HiroProtagonist for your detailed post.

I will implement your suggestions and get back to this thread.

I do have the MPEG-2 License installed as long as the Krypton update did not change this. I will try to verify this.

Again everything on 3 different platforms worked prior to Krypton.

Is there any possibility, even though it is not being used, but is running, that KODI V16 on the RPi3 server is creating a conflict? I have not upgraded to Krypton on the OSMC/KODI/TV Headend server. KODI launches on boot but I am not using it [or at least I don't think I am].

The reason I have not altered anything on the Media server is because it took me so long to get it to record to my NAS rather than locally.

Thanks again HiroProtagonist

HiroProtagonist

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 pm

Just a suggestion, you talk about:

"the RPi3 server", "the OSMC/KODI/TV Headend server", "the Media server".

Do you really have 3 servers? If not, it would be helpful to use consistent naming, because the above is quite confusing.

Longer term, if you're running TVHeadend with multiple clients, it might be worth running a TVHeadend separate from OSMC. This will mean TVHeadend is not impacted by whatever updates OSMC decides to do.

Wurlitzer28

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:07 pm

HiroProtagonist all mentions of Server, other than my backup WMC/ServerWMC are one in the same.

I only have one Raspberry Pi server with OSMC & KODI [not used but loaded at boot] running TV Headend/backend. If I understood Linux better I would just stop KODI from booting.

It took me so long to get it to record to my NAS I am gun shy about altering much on that device.

Kenbud

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 pm

I have the same hardware as Wurlitzer and discovered a couple of things that might be helpful.

My original install was Openelec 7.0.1 (latest stable) that included Kodi 16 (Jarvis). Not sure of the TVHeadend version but it was whatever was in the official repository for Kodi 16. Lots of how-to's for TVH but most are old, out-dated, and wrong including the Openelec Wiki. I banged my head on this combination for days before I finally got the backend working and the clients on all my devices could watch OTA. I never did get the EPG working so no scheduling recordings. I decided like many others to start looking for a xmltv solution.

I decided to try Libreelec before putting any more hours into the old setup. I don't normally run beta versions but I loaded LE 7.95.3 since it is very close to being released as 8.0 stable. It includes Kodi 17 Krypton and having the latest version of Kodi means getting the latest addons. Apparently, HDHomerun support is built into the newer TVH backend because there's no driver to install. The TVH install recognized the HDHomerun and added both tuners. As soon as I told it to map services, EPG information started filling in, also. Turns out there's an additional EPG Grabber module specific to US OTA in this version. Of all the installs I've done, this was the closest thing to load 'n go that I've experienced.

No matter what device, OS, and software you use, OTA EPG data is problematic in the U.S. Providers are only required to embed a few hours (12?) of EPG in their broadcast stream. That's not enough for most people plus the OTA EPG info is not reliable. Networks often screw up the data until someone complains so it's sometimes missing/wrong.

I'll probably stick with LE 8/Kodi 17 for my TV server platform for a while. It seems to be a decent TV and DVR solution that just needs a better EPG. There are solutions to the EPG problem but it does take a little work.

Keep in mind that you need a MPEG2 license if you're streaming from the RPi. That's the first thing to check if video is stuttering after a new install. Your license number is stored in a file that gets overwritten if you change your OS so don't forget to add it back in.
RPi 3 media server | Libreelec OS 7.95.3 (8.0 beta) | Kodi 17.0 Krypton

Wurlitzer28

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks Kenbud! I'll get another SD card and try LibreElec on the RPi that is currently running OSMC.

I had to go back to WMC/ServerWMC to get a semi-workable solution and good EPG but live TV and or Recorded OTA is such an unstable environment.

Even today, on my Nvidia Shield, Live Channels did an update which was to include a DVR but upon running it, any channels from my OTA HDHR tuner had no audio. Good Grief! We can stream content from around the world but cannot get a good system OTA from transmitters less than 40 miles away.

oldtechie

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I had this running on a Pi-B and it worked perfectly. I used a HDhomerun OTA tuner + outdoor antenna, with the Pi running Rasbian with TVheadend. I tuned the memory so graphics got very little. All wired network connections. I found the recordings were better when saved in .ts format. I pulled EPG info from schedules direct. I was very happy with this setup (until I moved to cable-land).

Wurlitzer28

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 pm

oldtechie I'd love to have a copy of your SD card [if it had been for a RPi 3] for that configuration or at least a blow by blow of what was required.

I've had to give up [at least until I get another SD card to test] using the RPi 3 as none of my KODI Clients will work anymore with the .ts file format coming from my OSMC/TV Headend RPi 3.

I feel like a greyhound chasing that @$#*@@ rabbit as I get it working then somebody does an update and I have to chase the rabbit again.

So far no system, WMC/Server WMC, LibreElec/TV Headend/backend, or OSMC/TV Headend/Backend has worked even close to cable quality for local TV/DVR.

ServerWMC seems to be the most stable for recording but sometimes I cannot get Live TV working unless I reboot my Laptop ServerWMC machine. It does have the best EPG. [WiFi connected to router]

OSMC/TV Headend/backend had the best recordings with minimal breaks in audio/video but completely died when all 3 KODI Clients were "upgraded" to Krypton. 3 different clients on 3 totally different platforms all refuse to play a .ts file created by the OSMC/TV Headend/backend. [hardwired to router]

LibreElec with TVHeadend/Backend never worked with massive tearing breaking up of audio and video. [hardwired to router]

oldtechie

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:03 am

It was several years ago that I built this.. I installed Raspbian, with kernel headers. Added the TVH repository (which I believe has moved to bintray.com/tvheadend and installed from that. The hard part was getting the kernel drivers built for hdhomerun. Back then, the kernel source packages weren't released with every version of Raspbian (I have no idea what they're doing now), so I couldn't update the kernel past the version I had source for.

If I were to do it again I'd probably install OSMC and set it to not start Kodi.

HiroProtagonist

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 am

Wurlitzer28 wrote: OSMC/TV Headend/backend had the best recordings with minimal breaks in audio/video but completely died when all 3 KODI Clients were "upgraded" to Krypton. 3 different clients on 3 totally different platforms all refuse to play a .ts file created by the OSMC/TV Headend/backend. [hardwired to router]
I think this has already been mentioned, but the most likely reason you can't play these files is lack of a properly installed MPEG 2 license.

You can check this from the commandline of your client devices with the following command:

vcgencmd get_config decode_MPG2

If no MPEG 2 license is installed it will display:

decode_MPG2=

Note that you do not need this license on your server unless you're also using it as a client.

Return to “Media centres”