SolidSpike

Using RPI for MAME in place of a regular computer

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 pm

So currently I'm working on fixing up an arcade cabinet and I've already bought a PC which I've started getting roms and the like working on. Now my RPI has finally shipped and I was wondering is the RPI powerful enough to use as the computer in my cabinet? I'm looking to run a good span of games from Pac-man to things like Street Fighter 3rd Strike or Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

mongrol

Re: Using RPI for MAME in place of a regular computer

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 pm

The pi can run up to late eighties games with some overclock and optimisation. It's not going to run Streetfighter. :)

realbrucest

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 am

mongrol wrote:The pi can run up to late eighties games with some overclock and optimisation. It's not going to run Streetfighter. :)
The Raspberry Pi already runs Neogeo games (gngeo emulator).

I guess CPS3 emulation is out of reach for any upcoming MAME port, but I'm confident we will have it as soon as any brave coder dig deep into final burn alpha code (caanoo source code)

Good thing for "raspberrians" retrogaming lovers is that half job have already been done by wiz/caanoo/pandora emulation coders. There're plenty of opensource homebrew coded for "pretty similar" hardware, so it won't be necessary to start from scratch in most cases. Having said that, I'm just a regular user but I wanted to point out that CPS3 could be possible, not by MAME but by bringing FBA to our Raspi.

ajberry

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 am

There are currently sound issues with emulators (that will be fixed with either a trimmed kernel or some new ALSA drivers).

I have struggled with the older games (i.e. Track and Field) and these run slowly for me. The SNES games seem to run fine though (minus the sound).

SolidSpike

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks! Guess it's back to trying to make CPS3 work on my desktop.

ChadP

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 am

I have retro arch emulation station on mi pi ican play all the sega games nintendo and super nes games. mortal kombat plays great streetfighter does too.im over clocked to 1000 with no problems.

Return to “Media centres”