peppy.player

Re: Peppy player

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:51 am

I have tried to translate to Polish some parts of the player - weather-config.txt and radio folder names under radio-stations folder. If you want to see the rest labels in Polish you need to translate/localize the file labels.properties. You can get the files which I prepared here:
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy. ... Polish.zip
Just unzip it in the 'languages' folder. I grabbed radio playlists from the English-USA folder and left just one station in each genre just as an example.

If you will face any issue please let me know either here or via e-mail peppy.playerATgmail.com
Here are the screenshots with my partial translations:

janpas

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:44 pm

thank you

peppy.player

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Sure, if you will have complete translation and radio playlists for Polish web radio stations I could include it to the next version.

peppy.player

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:03 pm

I've just added two new projects to the Gallery.

Portable player by Francesco (Italy):
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyP ... esco-italy

Herbert's Küchenradio (Germany):
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyP ... io-germany

peppy.player

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Here is the new entry in the Gallery - Shoebox player by Dee (USA):
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyP ... by-dee-usa

Koepisch

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi peppy.player,

i'm running an older version of peppy and want to know, if the current version can manage a bluetooth speaker from within the GUI? I want to switch between "Line Out" and "Bluetooth" device and want to do pairing with new bluetooth speakers.

Is that possible - in the last version i had to edit the linux files (a mess).

Thanks,
Koepisch

peppy.player

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi Koepisch,

Unfortunately Peppy player doesn't have UI for connecting Bluetooth devices. So right now it's a manual process:
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy. ... th-Devices
Though I'm planning to add one. I hope that eventually the player will have UI for all required configuration settings including Password, Timezone, ALSA etc.

I'm at the cleanup and testing stage for the next Peppy software release (Cranach Edition). It still doesn't have Bluetooth UI. But in the release after Cranach Edition I'll try to add UI for Bluetooth devices (tentative date January-February 2020). The idea is to add Bluetooth to the Network screen. In that release I'm also planning to add ability to manage audio files collection and quickly search through it ( e.g. using voice commands).

Best Regards

Koepisch

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi peppy.player,

that sounds great. The bluetooth configuration would be a huge step forward (for my needs). Today i begin to build my second peppy player! I'm very curious about the current edition too.

PS: I'm really impressed and deeply grateful. My second player works within Minutes - out of the box. For the first player i worked DAYS to get the 7" screen working. It seems that my GUI relations are reused in the new version - it looks like my first player, great!

So i can work on the details. I will use the default 7" frame, but build a new backend for the PI4, HifiBerry DAC+ Card and a slot for a slim powerbank. At my first version all of this was pressed into the default frame - never again.

Regards,
Koepisch

peppy.player

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi Koepisch,

Your code for 7" display was used as the base in Peppy player. I made just some minor modifications to support sliding actions and long press. Your work was very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Also I tried to address your other requirements. For example the ability to change color theme. You can do that now through Config Web UI and select/adjust that Pinky color theme :)
Another change inspired by your work - show/hide folder names, now it's the configuration parameter (hide.folder.name). Next release will also have ability to define the number of items in menu through configuration parameters (rows, columns).
If you will have any other requirements/ideas feel free to contact me. That can be useful for other people as well.

Good luck with your new project. If you will decide to share it please let me know and I'll place it in the Gallery.
Best Regards!

Koepisch

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:27 am

Hi peppy.player,

it's really great that you add new features continuously. Nice to hear the row / column size will be configurable too. It seems, that i don't have to make any adapting changes to the code so far. Till now only one issue is left (but it's a non brainer). The cover picture size is too small when the screensaver kicks in (7" display). I thing i used a sizing factor which could control the picture size. That would be great seeing this in the config.

I have one issue with the volume/track position slider. The control freezes at some point - it happens a few times in my short test period. I thing it is an older problem. If i can re-activate my debug environment, i can localize the error source.

Thanks and regards,
koepisch

peppy.player

Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi Koepisch,

I believe you are talking about 'Logo' screensaver. If so, you can adjust the image size by changing configuration parameter 'vertical.size.percent' in the screensaver configuration file: /home/pi/Peppy/screensaver/logo/screensaver-config.txt. You can do that from the Config Web UI too. It's described here:
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy.doc/wiki/Logo

If you will find the root cause of the volume/time slider issue please let me know. Just remember that you can not move sliders in the Pause mode. That's intentional.

Best Regards!

peppy.player

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 am

New version (Cranach Edition) of the Peppy Player was just released.

New features:

* Implemented Advanced Playlist Editor in the Configuration Web UI
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy. ... ist-Editor

* Show images embedded into MP3 and FLAC files.

* Support AirPlay.
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy.doc/wiki/AirPlay

This functionality allows to stream audio from Apple devices to Peppy Player using AirPlay protocol. It allows to stream from Spotify player using free and premium accounts.

* Support Spotify Connect.
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy. ... fy-Connect

It allows to send audio stream from Spotify player running on any platform to the Peppy Player. It works only for premium Spotify accounts.

* Added two new languages: Italian and Spanish.

* Check for updates.

* Added ability to configure rotary encoders from the Configuration Web UI.

Koepisch

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:03 am

Hello peppy.player,

this year i've tried to play videos within linux RPI and it worked. After christmas both of my kids have one peppy player in their rooms, so i want to add more features to it, which aren't music related. I want to make the following workflow happen, but i'm still a linux newbee, so i don't know to do that.

1. Peppy starts normally und the GUI is displayed
2. User starts one action within the peppy GUI (not realized yet, could be a new page with n buttons with icons, currently tried with the "About" action)
3. Peppy.player shuts down
4. new command / linux shell script is executed / synchron (like play music video, start/show camera stream, start full desktop)
5. if this process ends, the peppy.player starts again and present the GUI

How could that be done? I think the first peppy.player call could be executed within an overall script which manages the processes (peppy + n user scripts)

Thanks,
koepisch

peppy.player

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi Koepisch,

I was planning to make Peppy player the best audio player first and then switch to video ;)

I believe video needs different backend player. It can be either omxplayer as it has hardware acceleration or VLC compiled with hardware acceleration. Currently Peppy player leverages regular VLC without hardware acceleration. Omxplayer is available on Raspbian OS by default and doesn't need installation/compilation but it needs additional code/library to control it over dbus. Peppy player has similar code to control AirPlay server (shairport-sync) over dbus:
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy/ ... ortdbus.py

There are two main approaches which can be used:

1. Ideally handling video should be done inside of the player itself. This way you could avoid overhead related to the inter-process communication. But the player is not ready for that yet. If you could build VLC with hardware acceleration then it could be used as the backend player for video the same way it is used now for audio. I use Python wrapper to control it. The same wrapper can be used to control video playback. This is the easiest way as you could use the same existing code to control audio and video as well.

2. Another less preferable way is the way which you suggested - scripts started from player. The player has some similar functionality. Have a look at the 'Startup & Shutdown Scripts':
https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy. ... wn-Scripts
Those scripts can be started during startup and shutdown but the same idea can be used for any other script started by the player. If you are going to spawn external process have a look at the 'pexpect' Python library. It's very useful.

The player disk images which I provide right now are based on Raspbian Lite OS and don't have desktop. But separate disk image for Desktop OS could be created if you need it.

If you have more questions you can contact me directly. My e-mail address is available on Github and in all Python source files.

Best Regards

Koepisch

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:10 am

Hi peppy.player,

indeed video is related to music, but i don't wanted to push this feature too early. So i wanted to run this outside of peppy. I use omxplayer (i think with Python ) and can play the video files without problems. I don't want to span an parallel process, because peppy is blocking the interface/screen. Thats why peppy has to be shut down prior to execute the new task/script/program. But my question wasn't so much related to any defined task. I will invest more time (next year, due to my busy schedule) to get the STOP Peppy-RUN Non-Peppy Task-START Peppy workflow done.

Thanks,
Koepisch

peppy.player

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:55 pm

OK, I'm still not sure that the player should be completely shutdown. Probably running pygame.quit() could release resources. Though I didn't try it myself.

Good luck in your investigations. Please keep me informed.

Return to “Media centres”