4NeverAPi

Pi2 OTA TV tuner in USA

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Does the Pi2 Model B have enough CPU power to view live TV? I have mine connected to a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR950Q USB tuner using TVHeadend under OSMC. I've gotten it to find channels and tune to them, I even get audio, but the video is either extremely slow or scrambled depending on the channel. My CBS affiliate gives me a full image, but it runs frame-by-frame, NBC is black and white with the same image tiled 4 times around the screen, PBS and some other stations are just a series of black and white squiggles, as though they may be encrypted. I don't have any problem viewing the same channels on my TV, or using the same tuner on my Windows 10 laptop. I've also used the same tuner under Windows XP on a Shuttle XPC with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU with 512 MB of RAM, and it worked fine with now slowdowns or video problems.

Is TVHeadend the problem or is live TV just too much for the CPU on this tiny computer? Ideally, I'd like to set it up to view live TV and use it as a DVR and record from OTA stations. I've seen a few write-ups on this type of project, but I don't know how it ever turned out. If you've gotten it working, at least well enough to view TV, could you let me know how to set it up?

Sonny_Jim

Re: Pi2 OTA TV tuner in USA

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't think it's the CPU that's the problem, more likely that the USB bus can't cope with that amount of data, remember it's shared with a few other devices like the ethernet port.

4NeverAPi

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:24 am

Does the Pi use USB 2? I can't find anything on the packaging or in the specs online, but I think it's only 1.1, and having the ports all shared, it's a miracle you can even use a keyboard and mouse at the same time, let alone Ethernet or an external hard drive. There's no way a TV tuner could ever work.

rpdom

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:28 am

4NeverAPi wrote:Does the Pi use USB 2? I can't find anything on the packaging or in the specs online, but I think it's only 1.1, and having the ports all shared, it's a miracle you can even use a keyboard and mouse at the same time, let alone Ethernet or an external hard drive. There's no way a TV tuner could ever work.
Yes, it is USB 2.0.

mikronauts

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:33 pm

OTA ATSC broadcasts are in MPEG2.

Try buying and installing an MPEG2 license for your Pi.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Return to “Media centres”