C172

Overwhelmed

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:10 am

I've been reading the forums and watching tons of tutorials on the Pi 2 and as the subject entails, I'm overwhelmed by all the info. In fairness, they seem straight forward but there are lingering questions.

I'm waiting on my Pi 2 which I planned to use as a media centre running KODI. I also like the idea of setting it up as a NAS (with samba) to which I can mount my 3TB external hd. I'll list the lingering questions as clearly as possible in hopes of clarifying a few things.

1. Can I use a single Pi 2 as both a media centre and NAS? If yes, which OS would work best in this situation?
2. Is raspbmc still available for download within the noobs software?
3. From all my research, I haven't found a definite answer as to which OS is best for media centre use. What is the general consensus?
4. Can you load more than one OS on a single SD card?
5. What's the best iOS app to access my music on the hd, if I decide to go the NAS with samba route?
6. Is a case with a fan necessary if I plan to over clock the Pi 2?
7. If I plan on using a usb sound card for better sound, is there any special installation required or just plug and play?

I'm sure there will be more questions in the future however; getting answers to these will be of significant help once the Pi 2 gets here. I also hope that my plea for answers will help others with their build.

Thanks to all the members who take time to respond.

HiroProtagonist

Re: Overwhelmed

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:09 pm

C172 wrote: 1. Can I use a single Pi 2 as both a media centre and NAS? If yes, which OS would work best in this situation?
2. Is raspbmc still available for download within the noobs software?
3. From all my research, I haven't found a definite answer as to which OS is best for media centre use. What is the general consensus?
4. Can you load more than one OS on a single SD card?
5. What's the best iOS app to access my music on the hd, if I decide to go the NAS with samba route?
6. Is a case with a fan necessary if I plan to over clock the Pi 2?
7. If I plan on using a usb sound card for better sound, is there any special installation required or just plug and play?
1) Yes, OSMC is probably the most flexible option for this sort of thing. Note that NFS will perform better than SMB, so you'd be better off using that unless you have a pressing need for SMB. Also the format of your HDD can make quite a difference. Ext2 or Ext4 will perform much better then NTFS.

2) Raspbmc has been obsolete for some time - it has been replaced with OSMC.

3) Define 'best'. They are all much of a muchness as media centers. However OpenElec is more locked down, if you want to do other stuff with your Pi, OSMC will be easier to deal with.

4) Yes

5) No idea

6) No.

7) No info, sorry.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:31 pm

adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

GTR2Fan

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:40 pm

C172 wrote:6. Is a case with a fan necessary if I plan to over clock the Pi 2?
Necessary? No. Unless you're heavily overclocking the GPU and running software that gives the GPU a pretty serious caning (fairly unlikely unless you're into 3D gaming) the Pi2B won't even get close to the temperature where it harmlessly throttles back the clock frequencies to stay cool. Only a tiny minority of users will ever need a fan for general usage.

As you can probably guess from the above statement, most of the heat the SOC generates comes from a very busy GPU, but even then it doesn't get really hot unless the GPU is also overclocked.

I have a fan and a heatsink, but only because this Pi2B lives inside a vertical enclosure with a 3.5" hard drive sitting directly below it, plus the GPU is heavily overclocked, plus I don't like stuttery framerates when 3D gaming in hot weather. If it wasn't for the gaming, neither would be serving any useful purpose.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

C172

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. As promised, I've got a few more questions...sorry.
Since I'm able to load multiple OS on a single sd card, will I have the option to choose which one to load on start up? I ask this because, from my research you only get to choose when first setting up the Pi. I'm aware you can have multiple OS but each must be on a separate micro sd card. Kindly clarify and my apologies if I wasn't clear with my original question.

OSMC and KODI seems pretty similar with what they can do and I was wondering if it's possible to have both installed at once. Once I figure out which one best suit my needs, I'll get rid of the other.

As for players to stream your music/video, I got file browser and moliplayer today from the App Store. File browser by far is better and it allows for air play to my airport express and Apple TV. With moliplayer, the music stops as soon as you try to view track list, adjust the layout and view. I would recommend file browser instead. I have no idea why the song doesn't run in the background even with that option selected.

I've got the bell home hub 2000 modem ( with 2 USB ports) and tested my usb stick (fat32) and can access the few albums I loaded today. It doesn't recognize my WD 3tb ntfs external hd. Gonna format (exfat is the only option listed) and if the hub still cannot find it, then I'll go the Pi 2 NAS with samba and revert back to ntfs.

Sorry for the long post but I figured the more precise I am with my plan the more tailored the responses will be. Once again thanks for taking the time to respond.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 am

KODI is Multimedia Software it is not an Operating System

OSMC and OpenElec are both Operating Systems which have KODI as their Desktops by default.

Google is a great tool for research !
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

DirkS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 am

C172 wrote:Since I'm able to load multiple OS on a single sd card, will I have the option to choose which one to load on start up? I ask this because, from my research you only get to choose when first setting up the Pi.
With Noobs you choose which OSs to install during installation.
After that you choose which one to load at every boot

HiroProtagonist

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 pm

C172 wrote:OSMC and KODI seems pretty similar with what they can do and I was wondering if it's possible to have both installed at once. Once I figure out which one best suit my needs, I'll get rid of the other.
OSMC is a linux distribution that runs Kodi, so you run OSMC, & you get Kodi, it's not an either/or thing.

Return to “Media centres”