jack.chaney

HDMI input?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:21 pm

I haven't done any checking with the hardware or schematics on this, but an idea struck me about a possible project to pursue. I just want to avoid a blind alley before getting started, in case anyone already knows the answer.

Does the HDMI port on the RPi serve as an input as well as an output? The idea I have is to use an RPi 2 as a TiVo type of recording device for general broadcast TV. Using the Pi, with an outboard hard drive, and some clever programming, could make a very inexpensive solution for me not missing Big Bang when I have an evening meeting across town.

Cheers!

DougieLawson

Re: HDMI input?

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:28 pm

No. It is output ONLY.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

blc

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:17 am

jack.chaney wrote:I haven't done any checking with the hardware or schematics on this, but an idea struck me about a possible project to pursue. I just want to avoid a blind alley before getting started, in case anyone already knows the answer.

Does the HDMI port on the RPi serve as an input as well as an output? The idea I have is to use an RPi 2 as a TiVo type of recording device for general broadcast TV. Using the Pi, with an outboard hard drive, and some clever programming, could make a very inexpensive solution for me not missing Big Bang when I have an evening meeting across town.

Cheers!
DougieLawson is spot on: the Pi's HDMI port is output only.

But what you're after isn't impossible on a Pi - you're basically describing a PVR server. What you need is a computer capable of recording/transcoding video signals, some kind of USB TV input (TV tuner, satellite receiver, etc), and PVR server software (this can be a standalone application or a whole distro). The PVR server receives the live TV signal and can distribute that across the network to client devices, but can also schedule recordings like a TiVo. You'd access the live broadcasts and recorded shows using front-end software - Kodi has TV/PVR add-ons which are just fine. The "server" and "front-end" can be installed on one single PC but they can also be separate devices on the same network.

With most PVR servers you're not actually watching the live stream from your capture device when you watch "live" TV: you're watching a video stream that is buffered to disk. Which leads me to my next point: even if the software to do this is available for the Raspberry Pi (and it more than likely is) then you're going to want a USB hard drive and I'm not sure that the Pi, even the Pi2, could manage HD recording/broadcast.

I've done this using MediaPortal as a back-end, Kodi as a front-end, and a USB DVB-T2 receiver. It works really well, but the PC in question is a "gaming"-class x86 machine, not a comparatively low-powered Raspberry Pi. It's worth investigating though: I can't provide many links because a lot of stuff is blocked in work, but Google suggests that plenty of people have done the same thing.

gkreidl

Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:29 am

blc wrote:...
With most PVR servers you're not actually watching the live stream from your capture device when you watch "live" TV: you're watching a video stream that is buffered to disk. Which leads me to my next point: even if the software to do this is available for the Raspberry Pi (and it more than likely is) then you're going to want a USB hard drive and I'm not sure that the Pi, even the Pi2, could manage HD recording/broadcast.

I've done this using MediaPortal as a back-end, Kodi as a front-end, and a USB DVB-T2 receiver. It works really well, but the PC in question is a "gaming"-class x86 machine, not a comparatively low-powered Raspberry Pi. It's worth investigating though: I can't provide many links because a lot of stuff is blocked in work, but Google suggests that plenty of people have done the same thing.
A RPi2 (even a RPi1 with some limitations) is very well able of providing a complete TV server solution. I'm using my own solution all the time.
1) Streams are not buffered on Disk but in RAM and so you can even run it from SD.
2) For recording you need a HDD. In this case it is best to run the whole OS from HD.

My own (DVB satellite) solution uses mumudvb, a web interface to control everything, the gstreamer1.0-omx module and the GPU for real time transcoding (option to stream with low bit rate across the internet) and optionally oscam for descrambling. It can stream single channels, a selectable group of channels or whole transponders as http streams. And you can even watch SD/HD on the same RPi2 with omxplayer(GUI). It supports EPG and timed recordings.
I've not tested other solutions like tvheadend or VDR, but other people have reported that they work.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

blc

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:01 pm

gkreidl wrote:A RPi2 (even a RPi1 with some limitations) is very well able of providing a complete TV server solution. I'm using my own solution all the time.
1) Streams are not buffered on Disk but in RAM and so you can even run it from SD.
2) For recording you need a HDD. In this case it is best to run the whole OS from HD.

My own (DVB satellite) solution uses mumudvb, a web interface to control everything, the gstreamer1.0-omx module and the GPU for real time transcoding (option to stream with low bit rate across the internet) and optionally oscam for descrambling. It can stream single channels, a selectable group of channels or whole transponders as http streams. And you can even watch SD/HD on the same RPi2 with omxplayer(GUI). It supports EPG and timed recordings.
I've not tested other solutions like tvheadend or VDR, but other people have reported that they work.
I had no doubt that it was perfectly possible; I just have no experience of doing it on the Pi, which is why I probably sounded a little negative.

Have you tried streaming to multiple endpoints concurrently? I was very interested in doing this up until recently (albeit with a dual processor Xeon system, not the Pi).

gkreidl

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:47 pm

blc wrote:
Have you tried streaming to multiple endpoints concurrently?
Yes, up to four HD streams (there are no mire receivers in my network). The 100 MBit ethernet is the limit.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kerifis

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm

this company https://auvidea.com/ sell hdmi in module(with H.264Encoder) for the Raspberry but their are very expensive compare to the pi price itself.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 pm

jack.chaney wrote:I haven't done any checking with the hardware or schematics on this, but an idea struck me about a possible project to pursue. I just want to avoid a blind alley before getting started, in case anyone already knows the answer.

Cheers!
HDMI Boards: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=120702 (deep pockets ?)
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Media centres”