Kratos

Re: Kodi on Ubuntu MATE 15.10

Thu May 19, 2016 3:46 pm

OK, will update the guide. Thanks!

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Snze

Thu May 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Hey folks...

The blank screen on exit fix wasn't really working for me, so I went back to the google and kludged together this appealingly short launch script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
kodi
if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
killall kodi
sudo chvt 5 # could be any number between 1 and 6; I just went with 5!
sudo chvt 7 # back to the desktop
fi
Before running it, you have to add the line

*your username* ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /bin/chvt
to the sudoers file using:

sudo visudo
which allows the named user to change the foreground virtual terminal without elevated privileges. Please tell me if this is a bad idea! :roll:

Running the programme from the script starts kodi, and bosh! straight back to desktop on exit, sans delay! :D

To get it in your start menu, copy the script (having made it executable first) to /usr/local/bin, then point your start menu shortcuts at it...

God knows whether there's other prerequisites (I've been installing all sorts over the last few days); if anyone coming to this fresh can tell me it works then that'd be lovely!
Last edited by Snze on Thu May 19, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Kratos wrote:Yup.

sudo apt-get install kodi-pvr-nextpvr
Kratos
lol... this won't work. You need to build the pvr into Kodi itself. If you're going to play hero with my how-to, at least know what you're doing to back it up. I gave it to you to learn, and told you I wouldn't upload a pre-built *.deb for a reason.. for people to learn how to do it themselves.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update

sudo apt-get install build-essential make git-core checkinstall

sudo apt-get install libboost1.58-all-dev swig curl libgnutls-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfribidi-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmad0-dev libjpeg8-dev libsamplerate0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libflac-dev libtiff5-dev liblzo2-dev cmake zip unzip libsqlite3-dev libpng12-dev libpcre3-dev libjasper-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libass-dev libmodplug-dev libcdio-dev libtinyxml2-dev libyajl-dev libgpg-error-dev libgcrypt11-dev libmicrohttpd-dev autoconf libtool autopoint libudev-dev python-dev python-imaging libmysqlclient-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libssh-dev libxrandr-dev libsmbclient-dev libcap-dev gawk gperf debhelper libiso9660-dev liblockdev1-dev ccache git-core checkinstall default-jre doxygen librtmp-dev libnfs-dev libgif-dev libplist-dev libshairport-dev libbluray-dev libbluray1 libbluetooth-dev uuid-dev libtag1-dev libspeex-dev

git clone -b master git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git kodi

git clone --recursive git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git

cd libcec/src/platform
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make -j4
sudo make install
cd

cd libcec
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DRPI_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/vc/include -DRPI_LIB_DIR=/opt/vc/lib ..
make -j4
sudo make install
cd

sudo make -C kodi/tools/depends/target/crossguid PREFIX=/usr/local

cd kodi/project

git clone -b master https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts.git

cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.hts -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../kodi/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 ../../kodi/project/cmake/addons

make -j4

cd ..

nano tools/depends/target/ffmpeg/autobuild.sh

add to the rest below "./configure --prefix=$FFMPEG_PREFIX \"

--enable-libspeex \

./bootstrap

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --disable-gl --enable-gles --with-platform=raspberry-pi2 --disable-x11 --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-avahi --enable-libcec --disable-pulse --enable-optical-drive --enable-dvdcss --enable-libusb --disable-vtbdecoder --enable-alsa --enable-player=omxplayer --enable-libbluray --with-ffmpeg=auto

make -j4

sudo checkinstall

** 10 to 20 minutes later.....

tar: (India): Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
OK

Stripping ELF binaries and libraries...OK

Compressing man pages...OK

Building file list...OK

Building Debian package...OK

Installing Debian package...OK

Erasing temporary files...OK

Deleting temp dir...OK

Done. The new package has been installed and saved to

/home/ubuntu/kodi/kodi_17.0.000-1_armhf.deb

You can remove it from your system anytime using:

dpkg -r kodi

## make keyboard work for non-root eg inside search-fields for user 'ubuntu'

sudo usermod -aG tty ubuntu

sudo su -c 'echo "KERNEL==\"tty[0-9]*\", GROUP=\"tty\", MODE=\"0660\"" >> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules'
Last edited by greenbag on Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Kratos wrote:Actually, it looks like it is only supported on Windows:
NextPVR is a free Personal Video Recorder (PVR) application for Microsoft Windows.
Reference:
http://kodi.wiki/view/NextPVR

Kratos
Actually... Ubuntu has an Ubuntu version in the repos. But it'll only work with the version of Kodi that Ubuntu currently hosts in the repos. Kodi 17 requires stuffs not built in to that version.
NextPVRforKodi.jpg
NextPVRforKodi.jpg (58.83 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
You need to build it in with the source...

NextPVR PVR

NextPVR PVR client addon for Kodi
Build instructions
Linux

git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
    git clone https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.nextpvr.git
    cd pvr.nextpvr && mkdir build && cd build
    cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.nextpvr -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../xbmc/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 ../../xbmc/project/cmake/addons
    make

https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.nextpvr

again... learn what you're doing.

Snze

Thu May 19, 2016 9:17 pm

greenbag wrote:lol... [snip] If you're going to play hero with my how-to, at least know what you're doing to back it up. [snip] again... learn what you're doing.
Well, that was classy... we ARE all learning here; on the shoulders of giants and all that. ;)
Thanks for the help though.

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Snze wrote:
greenbag wrote:lol... [snip] If you're going to play hero with my how-to, at least know what you're doing to back it up. [snip] again... learn what you're doing.
Well, that was classy... we ARE all learning here; on the shoulders of giants and all that. ;)
No.. what's classless, is stabbing me in the back.

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Also, just a note... there's no need to make the kodi.desktop file. If you build it yourself, or install from the prebuilt *.deb package, then the launcher's already installed in your system. Look in the start menu. Find it, rick-click it.. and add to the taskbar. Or desktop if you want. If for some reason you can't find it.. it's in the source... ~/kodi/tools/Linux/kodi.desktop. Copy it to your desktop, right-click/Properties/Permissions/Allow executing as file as program. Done deal.

And as for the startkodi file to fix the blank screen when exiting kodi... again, not needed. You want to use the keyboard when you get to the desktop, so just use the keyboard to get back to the desktop... when you see the blank black screen, just [ctrl]+[alt]. That's all that's needed with Kodi 17. Kodi 16 needed [ctrl]+[alt]+[f8] followed by [ctrl]+[alt]+[f7]. Like I said.. you're going to use the keyboard anyway, so pressing 2 keys isn't too hard to do.

Kratos

Thu May 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for the script Szne! For some reason the startkodi script was working on my system....wierd... :roll:

Kratos

Snze

Thu May 19, 2016 10:23 pm

greenbag wrote:you're going to use the keyboard anyway, so pressing 2 keys isn't too hard to do.
Agreed! But I'm putting the pi together for my sister-in-law, and trying to make it as idiot-proof as possible.
...don't tell my wife I said that! 8-)

Kratos

Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 pm

greenbag wrote:
Snze wrote:
No.. what's classless, is stabbing me in the back.
Ummm...You did help me a lot, as stated in the credits:
Thanks to Szne, carvari, greenbag, divebombdom, and MonkeymanStones for helping me smoosh all the bugs. This project would have taken a LOT longer without their help. Thanks so much!
Sorry if I offended you.

Kratos

Kratos

Thu May 19, 2016 10:26 pm

greenbag wrote: lol... this won't work. You need to build the pvr into Kodi itself. If you're going to play hero with my how-to, at least know what you're doing to back it up. I gave it to you to learn, and told you I wouldn't upload a pre-built *.deb for a reason.. for people to learn how to do it themselves.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update

sudo apt-get install build-essential make git-core checkinstall

sudo apt-get install libboost1.58-all-dev swig curl libgnutls-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfribidi-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmad0-dev libjpeg8-dev libsamplerate0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libflac-dev libtiff5-dev liblzo2-dev cmake zip unzip libsqlite3-dev libpng12-dev libpcre3-dev libjasper-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libass-dev libmodplug-dev libcdio-dev libtinyxml2-dev libyajl-dev libgpg-error-dev libgcrypt11-dev libmicrohttpd-dev autoconf libtool autopoint libudev-dev python-dev python-imaging libmysqlclient-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libbz2-dev libtinyxml-dev libssh-dev libxrandr-dev libsmbclient-dev libcap-dev gawk gperf debhelper libiso9660-dev liblockdev1-dev ccache git-core checkinstall default-jre doxygen librtmp-dev libnfs-dev libgif-dev libplist-dev libshairport-dev libbluray-dev libbluray1 libbluetooth-dev uuid-dev libtag1-dev libspeex-dev

git clone -b master git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git kodi

git clone --recursive git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git

cd libcec/src/platform
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make -j4
sudo make install
cd

cd libcec
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DRPI_INCLUDE_DIR=/opt/vc/include -DRPI_LIB_DIR=/opt/vc/lib ..
make -j4
sudo make install
cd

sudo make -C kodi/tools/depends/target/crossguid PREFIX=/usr/local

cd kodi/project

git clone -b master https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts.git

cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.hts -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../kodi/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 ../../kodi/project/cmake/addons

make -j4

cd ..

nano tools/depends/target/ffmpeg/autobuild.sh

add to the rest below "./configure --prefix=$FFMPEG_PREFIX \"

--enable-libspeex \

./bootstrap

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --disable-gl --enable-gles --with-platform=raspberry-pi2 --disable-x11 --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-avahi --enable-libcec --disable-pulse --enable-optical-drive --enable-dvdcss --enable-libusb --disable-vtbdecoder --enable-alsa --enable-player=omxplayer --enable-libbluray --with-ffmpeg=auto

make -j4

sudo checkinstall

** 10 to 20 minutes later.....

tar: (India): Cannot stat: No such file or directory
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
OK

Stripping ELF binaries and libraries...OK

Compressing man pages...OK

Building file list...OK

Building Debian package...OK

Installing Debian package...OK

Erasing temporary files...OK

Deleting temp dir...OK

Done. The new package has been installed and saved to

/home/ubuntu/kodi/kodi_17.0.000-1_armhf.deb

You can remove it from your system anytime using:

dpkg -r kodi

## make keyboard work for non-root eg inside search-fields for user 'ubuntu'

sudo usermod -aG tty ubuntu

sudo su -c 'echo "KERNEL==\"tty[0-9]*\", GROUP=\"tty\", MODE=\"0660\"" >> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-input.rules'
Thanks for the tips! Will give it a go again tonight.

Kratos

Snze

Thu May 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Kratos wrote:Thanks for the script Szne! For some reason the startkodi script was working on my system....wierd... :roll:

Kratos
Heh! I probably did it wrong! I do like the succinctness of mine though - 7 lines, baby!

Kratos

Thu May 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Snze wrote:
Kratos wrote:Thanks for the script Szne! For some reason the startkodi script was working on my system....wierd... :roll:

Kratos
Heh! I probably did it wrong! I do like the succinctness of mine though - 7 lines, baby!
Hey, if it works, who needs anything else?

Kratos

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Kratos wrote:
Sorry if I offended you.

Kratos

You're kidding me, right? I told you straight up I didn't want it released as a prebuilt deb, because I wanted people to learn. What did you do? Release a prebuilt deb package.. from my how-to. What did you teach? Nothing.. except how to install someone else's prebuilt deb package. That.. and how you're capable of stabbing in the back.

Kratos

Thu May 19, 2016 11:41 pm

greenbag wrote:I told you straight up I didn't want it released as a prebuilt deb, because I wanted people to learn.
When? Just to be clear, I did not try to stab anyone at all. Sorry if I am being a complete idiot, but I am not sorry I built Kodi for many good folks to enjoy. Hopefully this does not turn into a flame war after all the work we have put into this...

Kratos

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 11:51 pm

Snze wrote:we ARE all learning here; on the shoulders of giants and all that. ;)
I forgot to mention... the reason I want people to learn how to actually build it themselves, instead of relying on someone else to build it for them.. I used to mod another "community" of testers, and if you didn't learn to compile the sources.. you weren't watching tv. The coders did not want their work released as prebuilt binaries, and those who did play hero.. on their work, were quickly shunned. The coders were more than willing to share the knowledge.. as long as you paid it forward, not create a name for yourself releasing someone else's work. Their work. That's how I learned to compile.. someone else took the time to show me how. It's also why I will never release a prebuilt anything from someone else's source. I'd rather show them how to do it for themselves. The hardest part of compiling, is getting the dependencies installed. Once you have the apt list, it's pretty easy to type the build commands. Not too difficult.

I've said my piece.
Last edited by greenbag on Fri May 20, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

greenbag

Thu May 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Kratos wrote:
greenbag wrote:I told you straight up I didn't want it released as a prebuilt deb, because I wanted people to learn.
When? Just to be clear, I did not try to stab anyone at all. Sorry if I am being a complete idiot, but I am not sorry I built Kodi for many good folks to enjoy. Hopefully this does not turn into a flame war after all the work we have put into this...

Kratos
Private pm... where I gave you the guide. In private.

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 am

Btw.. not to keep harping on this, but there's one other point to make about releasing things without knowing what you're doing. And it's an important one. It's called licensing agreements within the various source files that are not actually written by team kodi themselves. Specifically.. codecs. If you released a build using my guide, then there's stuff enabled that's not allowed to be distributed in a pre-built package. You're allowed to build for yourself, but not redistribute in a package without their written consent. It's probably why OpenELEC disables these codecs before releasing a build. If you've ever installed Ubuntu onto your desktop, then it asked you if you wanted to download certain proprietary packages, that they weren't allowed to pre-bundle in their release. Some of those proprietary codecs are enabled in my guide.

Snze

Fri May 20, 2016 8:15 am

greenbag wrote:Private pm... where I gave you the guide. In private.
:( Where perhaps this exchange should have taken place? Can't we all just get along?

In my (albeit limited) experience, building from source isn't usually massively difficult, just frustrating due to the dependencies (as you mentioned). I, for one, am massively thankful for Kratos for absorbing that headache for me. There's plenty of other stuff that folk might need to build from source for their pi, and when that moment comes, necessity will be the mother of invention.

I get your point re GPL, though - live and learn I guess; perhaps making your guide more visible might be the best way forward?

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 9:24 am

Snze wrote:
greenbag wrote:Private pm... where I gave you the guide. In private.
:( Where perhaps this exchange should have taken place? Can't we all just get along?

In my (albeit limited) experience, building from source isn't usually massively difficult, just frustrating due to the dependencies (as you mentioned). I, for one, am massively thankful for Kratos for absorbing that headache for me. There's plenty of other stuff that folk might need to build from source for their pi, and when that moment comes, necessity will be the mother of invention.

I get your point re GPL, though - live and learn I guess; perhaps making your guide more visible might be the best way forward?

But I told him straight up.. I didn't want it released in a prebuilt package. He looked as if he was having issues in another thread, that was pro Raspbian and not Ubuntu, so I reached out in pm giving him my steps... which took me quite a few hours to come up with, mind you. He responds that I'm the greatest man on earth, and would I mind uploading a package. I said I didn't want to release a package. In fact, I was about to post a guide myself on how to build Kodi 17 on Mate.. the exact same steps, really.

The main point is he's not the authour of the source, therefore, he has no right to release a prebuilt package, making a name for himself, off the backs of someone else's work. Especially when he uses my guide to do it. How do I know he used my guide? I'm the only one in the community who uses "--with-ffmpeg=auto".

I had a similar discussion with another "developer", as he liked to call himself, over at kodi forums. He's been on here, batting heads with another resident developer on this site. Over at kodi forums, he pops into every damn thread about compiling, and immediately says, "why bother going through all that hassle of compiling, when I've already done it for you?" He did this to me.. even though I've been compiling for more than a decade.. lol. He then goes into another thread and makes his pitch about his repo.. fine. But then someone else comes in and tells him he should try compiling, not me btw, then he returns and tries again to deter this guy from trying to learn. I laid into him, saying he was self-posturing, playing hero off someone else's work. The funny thing? Not a single member of team kodi came to his defense. That should tell you something, and how they feel about other people making a name for themselves with their hard work.

As for the proprietary codecs though... right now, raspberry pi . org is hosting a link to what could be considered, illegal software. Just sayin'.

gkreidl

Fri May 20, 2016 9:47 am

Please tell us which "illegal codecs" the package contains.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Kratos

Fri May 20, 2016 1:54 pm

greenbag wrote: But I told him straight up.. I didn't want it released in a prebuilt package. He looked as if he was having issues in another thread, that was pro Raspbian and not Ubuntu, so I reached out in pm giving him my steps... which took me quite a few hours to come up with, mind you.
I do thank you for that.
greenbag wrote: He responds that I'm the greatest man on earth, and would I mind uploading a package. I said I didn't want to release a package. In fact, I was about to post a guide myself on how to build Kodi 17 on Mate.. the exact same steps, really.
OK, do it.
greenbag wrote: The main point is he's not the authour of the source
Are you?
greenbag wrote: , therefore, he has no right to release a prebuilt package, making a name for himself, off the backs of someone else's work. Especially when he uses my guide to do it. How do I know he used my guide? I'm the only one in the community who uses "--with-ffmpeg=auto".
Good for you for coming up with that well documented option.
greenbag wrote: I had a similar discussion with another "developer", as he liked to call himself, over at kodi forums. He's been on here, batting heads with another resident developer on this site. Over at kodi forums, he pops into every damn thread about compiling, and immediately says, "why bother going through all that hassle of compiling, when I've already done it for you?" He did this to me.. even though I've been compiling for more than a decade.. lol. He then goes into another thread and makes his pitch about his repo.. fine. But then someone else comes in and tells him he should try compiling, not me btw, then he returns and tries again to deter this guy from trying to learn. I laid into him, saying he was self-posturing, playing hero off someone else's work. The funny thing? Not a single member of team kodi came to his defense. That should tell you something, and how they feel about other people making a name for themselves with their hard work.
I cannot prove it, but I am not that guy. I would not try to keep anyone from learning anything, unless it was self-damaging (like building a bomb :) )
greenbag wrote: As for the proprietary codecs though... right now, raspberry pi . org is hosting a link to what could be considered, illegal software. Just sayin'.
Did you notify them?

Like Szne said, please be nice. All I am trying to do is build Kodi for lots of people to enjoy. I did not claim ownership of Kodi. Just built it from source with some instructions some guy on the net had.

Kratos

PS: Just so we are all on the same page, here is the first pm greenbag sent me:
Have you tried building Kodi 17 yet? I can build 16 on Mate, but I'm getting an error when it comes to ffmpeg overlays or something.. just after it does it's "this is a PNG" test. I just noticed Mate 16.04 LTS came out 2 days ago, and the Pi2 and Pi3 images should be available in a few days. Hopefully it's just a matter of file versions causing the error. Apt-get build-dep kodi works though, and installs a shitload of files. Not sure why the error. It builds fine in Raspbian.. I just don't like Raspbian. Damn trash can disappears, and I can't get my remote going. It works out of the box in both Ubuntus. :P

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mat ... l-release/

Kratos

Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Latest Kodi 16.1 build:

[deleted]

The only reason I built it was because I personally like the old look better. ;)

Kratos
Last edited by Kratos on Sat May 21, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snze

Fri May 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Kratos wrote:The only reason I built it was because I personally like the old look better. ;)

Kratos
You can install the confluence skin on 17, you know!

Kratos

Fri May 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Now I feel like a super noob :oops: .

Kratos

Return to “Media centres”