Snze

Re: Kodi on Ubuntu MATE 15.10

Fri May 20, 2016 5:56 pm

Lol! It's worth having another 16.1 build in hand though… cheers :)

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 9:07 pm

gkreidl wrote:Please tell us which "illegal codecs" the package contains.
I never said illegal codecs. But if you look in the source, there's stuff called nonfree which is enabled. OpenELEC does not enable this.. they actually disable this.

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Kratos wrote:
greenbag wrote: The main point is he's not the authour of the source
Are you?

You need to learn about opensource. It's legal to redistribute as source code, but not a full blown compiled package without the coder's permission. It's immoral, wrong, and even illegal in some cases.

f'n cs.

kusti8

Fri May 20, 2016 9:22 pm

I haven't seen the entire discussion but I gotta say I agree with greenbag. If he did originally post the instructions that he researched and had specific wishes, Kratos had no right to dishonor those wishes and make an easier install method. I certainly wouldn't want somebody to do that to me with the Chromium packages I maintain.

Kratos, out of respect I think you should take your instructions down instead of arguing.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Snze

Fri May 20, 2016 9:43 pm

greenbag wrote:You need to learn about opensource. It's legal to redistribute as source code, but not a full blown compiled package without the coder's permission. It's immoral, wrong, and even illegal in some cases.

f'n cs.
Genuine question, cos I'm interested (not being facetious), but can you reference where this applies to kodi? This seems to indicate you're grand to distribute a binary as long as you're not charging for it etc. Or have I read that wrong?!

Btw, if "f'n cs" means what I think it means, you might want to consider an edit.

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 pm

Snze wrote:
greenbag wrote:You need to learn about opensource. It's legal to redistribute as source code, but not a full blown compiled package without the coder's permission. It's immoral, wrong, and even illegal in some cases.

f'n cs.
Genuine question, cos I'm interested (not being facetious), but can you reference where this applies to kodi? This seems to indicate you're grand to distribute a binary as long as you're not charging for it etc. Or have I read that wrong?!

Btw, if "f'n cs" means what I think it means, you might want to consider an edit.
I did say "in some cases". It depends on the expressed written guidelines set out by the coder(s), as well as all the different licensing within all the various source files kodi uses to build their product. ffmpeg, mpeg, aac, and a slew of other codecs come under strict rules. That's why they're listed under "nonfree". Well, not ffmpeg itself, but some stuffs that are built in. Libbluray may or may not be another one of these codecs. Legal to compile and use for yourself, but not for redistribution. It's important to know what's what before releasing stuff. It could wind you in hot water.

As for the legal rights to redistribute precompiled binaries... if you read the whole thing, you can only redistribute "official" binaries, or precompiled versions of the latest kodi, and only if it is not modified. This has definitely been modified.
4 Software Distributions
4.1 Unaltered Binaries

You may distribute unchanged official binaries (i.e., the installer file available for download for each platform (code + config) and not the program executable) downloaded from xbmc.org to anyone in any way, subject to governing law, without receiving any further permission from XBMC Foundation. If you want to distribute the unchanged official binaries using the XBMC Foundation Marks, you may do so, without receiving any further permission from XBMC Foundation, as long as you comply with this Trademark Policy and you distribute them without charge. However, you must not remove or change any part of the official binary, including the XBMC Foundation Marks. On your website or in other materials, you may truthfully state that the software you are providing is an unmodified version of a XBMC Foundation application, keeping in mind the overall guidelines for the use of XBMC Foundation Marks in printed materials, detailed above. We suggest that, if you choose to provide visitors to your website the opportunity to download XBMC Foundation product, you do so by means of a link to our site, to help ensure faster, more reliable downloads.

If you choose to distribute XBMC Foundation binaries yourself, you should make the latest stable version available (of course, you probably want to do so as well). If you compile XBMC Foundation unmodified source code (including code and config files in the installer) and do not charge for it, you do not need additional permission from XBMC Foundation to use the relevant XBMC Foundation Mark(s) for your compiled version. So that users get the latest code and security releases, we encourage you to always distribute the most current official release. The notification requirements of the GNU General Public License have been met for our binaries, so although it's a good idea to do so, you are not required to ship the source code along with the binaries.

In addition, if you are distributing XBMC Foundation binaries yourself, and wish to use the XBMC Foundation Mark(s), you may not (a) disable, modify or otherwise interfere with any installation mechanism contained in a XBMC Foundation product; (b) use any such installation mechanism to install any plug-ins, themes, extensions, software, or items other than the XBMC Foundation product; or (c) use or provide any program, mechanism or process (other than an installation mechanism contained in the XBMC Foundation product) to install such product. Any use of a meta-installer would require our prior written permission.

If you are using the XBMC Foundation Mark(s) for the unaltered binaries you are distributing, you may not charge for that product. By not charging, we mean the XBMC Foundation product must be without cost and its distribution (whether by download or other media) may not be subject to a fee, or tied to subscribing to or purchasing a service, or the collection of personal information. If you want to sell the product, you may do so, but you must call that product by another name—one unrelated to XBMC Foundation or any of the XBMC Foundation Marks (see the sections on "Modifications" and "Related Software" below). Remember that we do not want the public to be confused.
4.2 Modifications

If you're taking full advantage of the open-source nature of XBMC Foundation's products and making significant functional changes, you may not redistribute the fruits of your labor under any XBMC Foundation trademark, without XBMC Foundation's prior written consent. For example, if the product you've modified is Kodi, you may not use XBMC Foundation or Kodi, in whole or in part, in its name. Also, it would be inappropriate for you to say "based on Kodi". Instead, in the interest of complete accuracy, you could describe your executables as "based on Kodi technology", or "incorporating Kodi source code."

In addition, if you compile a modified version, as discussed above, you will require XBMC Foundation's prior written permission. If it's not the unmodified installer package from xbmc.org, and you want to use our trademark(s), our review and approval of your modifications is required. You also must change the name of the executable so as to reduce the chance that a user of the modified software will be misled into believing it to be a native XBMC Foundation product.

Again, any modification to the XBMC Foundation product, including adding to, modifying in any way, or deleting content from the files included with an installer, file location changes, added code, modification of any source files including additions and deletions, etc., will require our permission if you want to use the XBMC Foundation Marks. If you have any doubt, just ask us at contact@kodi.tv

edit: And some of those source files used to build kodi, specifically ffmpeg, said that if you redistribute their source as a precompiled binary, then you need to add the source file itself in the package. It's in the licensing.

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 10:58 pm

You want to distribute "official" precompiled binaries? Then use the "official" README.raspberrypi that comes with the source. Take note of what's enabled, and what's disabled. Otherwise, anything else in "unofficial".

~/kodi/docs/README.raspberrypi

Code: Select all

TOC
1. Introduction
2. Building Kodi for the Raspberry Pi
3. Building Kodi using buildroot environment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Introduction

You can build Kodi for the Raspberry Pi in different ways. This document
shows two different methods. The first assumes that you want to run Kodi
on top of an image like Raspbian, the second shows how to create an entire
image which includes Linux.

2. Building Kodi for the Raspberry Pi

The following steps were tested with Ubuntu 14.04 x64. (Note that building on
a 32 bit machine requires slightly different setting).

The following commands build for newer Rapberry Pi 2 generation. In order to
build for the first Raspberry Pi, the commands have to be adapted to use
`--with-platform=raspberry-pi` instead of `--with-platform=raspberry-pi2`.

$ sudo apt-get install git autoconf curl g++ zlib1g-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev gawk gperf libtool autopoint swig default-jre

$ git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/tools
    $ sudo cp -r tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian-x64 /opt

$ git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware
    $ sudo mkdir -p /opt/bcm-rootfs/opt
    $ sudo cp -r firmware/opt/vc /opt/bcm-rootfs/opt

$ sudo mkdir -p /opt/xbmc-bcm
    $ sudo chmod 777 /opt/xbmc-bcm

$ git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

$ cd xbmc/tools/depends
    $ ./bootstrap
    PATH="$PATH:/opt/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian-x64/bin" \
       ./configure --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf \
       --prefix=/opt/xbmc-bcm/xbmc-dbg \
       --with-toolchain=/usr/local/bcm-gcc/arm-bcm2708hardfp-linux-gnueabi/sysroot \
       --with-firmware=/opt/bcm-rootfs \
       --with-platform=raspberry-pi2 \
       --build=i686-linux

$ make
    $ cd ../..

CONFIG_EXTRA="--with-platform=raspberry-pi2 \
       --enable-libcec --enable-player=omxplayer \
       --disable-x11 --disable-xrandr --disable-openmax \
       --disable-optical-drive --disable-dvdcss --disable-joystick \
       --disable-crystalhd --disable-vtbdecoder --disable-vaapi \
       --disable-vdpau --enable-alsa" \
    $ make -C tools/depends/target/xbmc

$ make
    $ sudo make install

3. Building Kodi using buildroot environment

Installing and setting up the buildroot environment:

Create a top level directory where you checkout Kodi and buildroot.

For example :

$ mkdir /opt/kodi-raspberrypi
    $ cd /opt/kodi-raspberrypi

Checkout kodi :

$ git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git kodi

Checkout buildroot :

$ git clone https://github.com/huceke/buildroot-rbp.git

$ cd /opt/kodi-raspberrypi/buildroot-rbp

Follow the instructions in README.rbp how to build the system and Kodi.

Snze

Fri May 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Hmmm... cheers greenbag... now you're making me feel like I want to build it from source myself, just so I can determine how exactly it needs to be modified. Damn you, making me learn! :D

The irony is that many (most even?) Kodi users have a pretty casual approach to intellectual property and copyright... ;)

greenbag

Fri May 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Snze wrote:Hmmm... cheers greenbag... now you're making me feel like I want to build it from source myself, just so I can determine how exactly it needs to be modified. Damn you, making me learn! :D

The irony is that many (most even?) Kodi users have a pretty casual approach to intellectual property and copyright... ;)
They're casual to a point. Like I said.. noone came to that guy's rescue over at kodi forums. That speaks volumes. I dealt with hardcore coders in the d!sh days.. long gone now so I can talk about it. I know how they feel about others making a name for themselves off the backs of their work. I was staff.. I was involved in the staffroom bitchfests.. lol.

But don't forget.. it's not just kodi. If you add plugins into the build, what's the authour of that code think about their work being released by someone else? They may not want the headaches of users bitching on github, because the plugin doesn't work.. because it was built by someone not really knowing what they're doing. He may trust OpenELEC to build it, but not some noob.

And again... all that other stuff enabled. What's their rules and regulations? You really have to be careful.

As for wanting to learn.. I hope you do. I hope everyone does.. it's pretty easy, and it only takes about 4 hours or so on the Pi itself. That's faster than an OpenELEC compile on my 3.6ghz core2duo with 8gb ram. That takes closer to 8 hours. :P And if you've ever done any compiling whatsoever, even just installing some package manually in Ubuntu, then you know that compiling builds that program specifically for your machine. That's why a self compiled binary is better than pre-compiled binary. It's tailored to your system. Yes, everyone's either using a pi2 or pi3, but it's still not the same. especially when it comes to dependencies for everything else installed in your system.

btw... just a note for Ubuntu users.. if you happen to compile and install on your desktop pc, watch out for the update manager. It keeps telling me a new kodi is available.. lol. It's not new.. it reverts to the older version still in the repos. :P

Kratos

Fri May 20, 2016 11:33 pm

Hmm. So, if I remove the guide, and build Kodi using the official guide, will we be OK? Thank you for clearing up some of the copyright stuff. I certainly did not mean to offend you, as I never received the pm telling me not to release the binary (I just re-read every pm you sent me). Just a lesson that noobs like me compiling stuff can be dangerous... :lol:

Just a question, because I am curious, how did I modify the source for Kodi?

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

greenbag

Sat May 21, 2016 12:24 am

Kratos wrote:Hmm. So, if I remove the guide, and build Kodi using the official guide, will we be OK? Thank you for clearing up some of the copyright stuff. I certainly did not mean to offend you, as I never received the pm telling me not to release the binary (I just re-read every pm you sent me). Just a lesson that noobs like me compiling stuff can be dangerous... :lol:

Just a question, because I am curious, how did I modify the source for Kodi?

Kratos
The minute you used my guide to build it. Especially the config line. It enabled things not in the official readme. Some of those things need someone else's permission to release in a prebuilt package. Adding libbluray... not in the official readme. Adding pvr.hts... not in the original readme, and not the official instructions on building it... those were my own specific instructions, as nobody else could figure out how to build it using the ones on the github page. The official instructions.

git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
    git clone https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts.git
    cd pvr.hts && mkdir build && cd build
    cmake -DADDONS_TO_BUILD=pvr.hts -DADDON_SRC_PREFIX=../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=../../xbmc/addons -DPACKAGE_ZIP=1 ../../xbmc/project/cmake/addons
    make

The addon files will be placed in ../../xbmc/addons so if you build Kodi from source and run it directly the addon will be available as a system addon.
Good luck with that one.

Using --with-ffmpeg=auto enables all the nonfree stuffs, but it's needed to install libspeex.. again, my personal addition to the build. If you don't know what libspeex is... it's an audio codec for low bitrate livestream videos. Such as twitchtv, and the cam4 feeds available in the ultimatewhitecream plugin. You certainly don't have my permission to use that.

The official instructions only enable certain things... most likely for legal reasons on their behalf. releasing a build with those enabled, you're essentially releasing under their name. Not cool.

greenbag

Sat May 21, 2016 12:35 am

Some advice for the future... what's said in private, stays in private. That goes doubly so for guides, fixes and any damn code me or anyone else gives you. It's called trust. It's a bitch when you lose it.

greenbag

Sat May 21, 2016 1:02 am

btw... that licensing agreement on the Kodi wiki, only allows releasing unmodified "binaries". That means the kodi.bin... not everything else in a debian package.

Kratos

Sat May 21, 2016 2:56 am

Some advice for the future... what's said in private, stays in private. That goes doubly so for guides, fixes and any **** code me or anyone else gives you. It's called trust. It's a ***** when you lose it.
(stars are mine, some things don't have to be repeated)

You supplied those intsruction on page three of the topic for all the world to see:

viewtopic.php?p=953918#p953918
btw... that licensing agreement on the Kodi wiki, only allows releasing unmodified "binaries". That means the kodi.bin... not everything else in a debian package.
So you are saying what gkreidl is doing here:
viewtopic.php?t=109088

Is illegal?

So, posting a guide on how to build an illegal package is OK:
In fact, I was about to post a guide myself on how to build Kodi 17 on Mate.. the exact same steps, really.
But if someone else does it first, it is not OK?

I also said earlier:
I certainly did not mean to offend you, as I never received the pm telling me not to release the binary (I just re-read every pm you sent me).
But you did not deny it.

I am doing some research elsewhere to either confirm or deny what you are talking about. In the meantime I took the guide down.

Kratos

Snze

Sat May 21, 2016 9:06 am

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen someone so viciously beaten with the olive branch they were trying to offer… Angry people on the internet, what a rare treat. :(

Good grief, this is supposed to be fun… Does this place not have moderation? (in any sense of the word?).

I think greenbag wants the binaries down, rather than the guides, Kratos.

Perhaps the easiest thing might be to just rename the thing and say it "incorporates Kodi source code', but there's probably a myriad of reasons why that won't work, I assume?!

Also, re: things I've never seen before - 'hero' as an insult! Greenbag, please mate, be a genuine hero and post your full guide, explaining where the deviation from official is happening, and what each step is actually doing. That would truly be helpful, avoid the chance of actual blowback further down the line (and I mean beyond an internet slagging off), and add to the community by sharing the knowledge. Please?

greenbag

Sat May 21, 2016 9:45 am

Kratos wrote:
Some advice for the future... what's said in private, stays in private. That goes doubly so for guides, fixes and any **** code me or anyone else gives you. It's called trust. It's a ***** when you lose it.
(stars are mine, some things don't have to be repeated)

You supplied those intsruction on page three of the topic for all the world to see:

viewtopic.php?p=953918#p953918
So you are saying what gkreidl is doing here:
viewtopic.php?t=109088

Is illegal?

So, posting a guide on how to build an illegal package is OK:
In fact, I was about to post a guide myself on how to build Kodi 17 on Mate.. the exact same steps, really.
But if someone else does it first, it is not OK?

I also said earlier:
I certainly did not mean to offend you, as I never received the pm telling me not to release the binary (I just re-read every pm you sent me).
But you did not deny it.

I am doing some research elsewhere to either confirm or deny what you are talking about. In the meantime I took the guide down.

Kratos

I supplied the guide after you went and posted a public build from my guide, yes.. that was my prerogative. I also publicly told you I did not want you to use my guide for a public build. Showing someone how to make a personal build is not illegal. And there's nothing "illegal" about enabling the nonfree stuffs for your own personal use on your own personal equipment. In fact, they're already enabled when you download the ffmpeg source. The source used in the official builds though, do not have these enabled. They only get enabled when you use the autobuild.sh. What's illegal, is releasing a build that already has them enabled. As I said earlier in the thread.. even Ubuntu can't supply these things in their releases. It needs to be installed afterwords, upon the user agreeing to the licensing agreement.

As for what gkreidl is doing.. I could care less.. he's not using my guide to do it. If you read the part I posted from the kodi wiki, it said..

1) only official installers may be used
2) official installers may not be modified
3) only unmodified binaries may be redistributed

If you don't understand that, then you're in the wrong game. I took 2 years of law, and was on my union's bargaining committee for my hotel's first contract negotiations. Does that make me a lawyer? No. But I sure as hell understand legalese. I'm probably one of the few who actually stands there and reads the entire cell phone contract in the store.

So from what I read, you need to use the official repos to install kodi to begin with, with all directories and such, then you can only release a new kodi.bin.. compiled using the official config line. I think you can figure out you just need to replace the binary. As for addons.. those need to be built and released separately as well. Look in the Ubuntu repos and you'll get an idea of what I mean.

As for denying what was said in pm... I delete my pm's, so we have to go by your word. If you don't remember asking me to upload a deb package, and me saying I didn't want one released, then we have to go by your word. Or what you're willing to remember. But if the keeper of records that you are, then would you show me where I gave you permission? Where you asked to use my guide for a public release? I can show you where I publicly told you you couldn't.. that should have been enough to pull your link. But what did you do? Post another build, using my guide as reference yet again.. just to thumb your nose at me like a punk.

What do you not understand about "private"? What do you not understand about respect? At least one coder has already spoken out in this thread showing he agrees and understands where I'm coming from.

greenbag

Sat May 21, 2016 9:50 am

Snze wrote:Wow, I don't think I've ever seen someone so viciously beaten with the olive branch they were trying to offer… Angry people on the internet, what a rare treat. :(

Good grief, this is supposed to be fun… Does this place not have moderation? (in any sense of the word?).

I think greenbag wants the binaries down, rather than the guides, Kratos.

Perhaps the easiest thing might be to just rename the thing and say it "incorporates Kodi source code', but there's probably a myriad of reasons why that won't work, I assume?!

Also, re: things I've never seen before - 'hero' as an insult! Greenbag, please mate, be a genuine hero and post your full guide, explaining where the deviation from official is happening, and what each step is actually doing. That would truly be helpful, avoid the chance of actual blowback further down the line (and I mean beyond an internet slagging off), and add to the community by sharing the knowledge. Please?
I told you what the differences were... anything not in that official guide in the README.raspberrypi. Not yelling.. that's what it's called. :P

Read through the docs of your choice.. the Ubuntu one's also useful for the build essentials needed.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master/docs
When i said earlier it'll take 4 hours or so.. that's start to finish, using a fresh image if Mate. 1/2 that time is getting Mate updated, then installing the compiler. After that, every other build should take no more than 2 hours.

I was going to post.. I just wasn't sure where. I posted at kodi forums, then realized there was a "guide" section. If you point the way, I'll be happy to oblige.

Snze

Sat May 21, 2016 10:12 am

I dunno… here? We've already got the longest thread on the forum, I think! :lol:

I reckon the explanation of each stage is key for actually understanding this; having a definitive guide that draws together and references the various info scattered all over the shop would really aid comprehension… if it includes how to build a .deb of the official build (which can't be illegal to distribute… can it?) then job very much done!

Thanks for persevering, greenbag - your help is invaluable :)

Snze

Sat May 21, 2016 10:20 am

Snze wrote:job very much done
…well, apart from sorting a ppa!

gkreidl

Sat May 21, 2016 10:41 am

So the only thing kratos has to do is rebuild the package with the config option:
--disable-non-free

I don't agree with greenbag's complaints about using his guide. This is all common knowledge. You cannot claim "ownership" of enabling or disabling certain configuration options or of providing a list of dependencies. All this can be found on the Internet.

There's nothing wrong with distributing a (GPL) binary package as long as you provide a link to the official sources you used and include source files that you have changed or use any other way of making the modified sources available. Kratos didn't change anything; he just included some non-free stuff because he didn't know better. That can easily be repaired.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Kratos

Sat May 21, 2016 12:58 pm

I supplied the guide after you went and posted a public build from my guide, yes.. that was my prerogative. I also publicly told you I did not want you to use my guide for a public build. Showing someone how to make a personal build is not illegal. And there's nothing "illegal" about enabling the nonfree stuffs for your own personal use on your own personal equipment. In fact, they're already enabled when you download the ffmpeg source. The source used in the official builds though, do not have these enabled. They only get enabled when you use the autobuild.sh. What's illegal, is releasing a build that already has them enabled. As I said earlier in the thread.. even Ubuntu can't supply these things in their releases. It needs to be installed afterwords, upon the user agreeing to the licensing agreement.
Ah. Thanks for shedding light on this.
I'm probably one of the few who actually stands there and reads the entire cell phone contract in the store.
That must take hours :lol: .
I don't agree with greenbag's complaints about using his guide. This is all common knowledge. You cannot claim "ownership" of enabling or disabling certain configuration options or of providing a list of dependencies. All this can be found on the Internet.
True. Even a quick Google search reveals them. He did, however, put a lot of work into compiling all the random steps into something that worked.
So the only thing kratos has to do is rebuild the package with the config option:
--disable-non-free
YAY!!! Will do some more builds tonight then, that are, um-mm, legal.

Kratos

Kratos

Sat May 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Before I do this wrong, is the following configuration legal:

------------------------
  Kodi Configuration:
------------------------
  Kodi Version:	17.0-ALPHA2
  git Rev.:	20160512-346c374
  Debugging:	No
  Profiling:	No
  Optimization:	Yes
  SWIG Available:	Yes
  JRE Available:	Yes
  Doxygen Available:	Yes
  Crosscomp.:	No
  target ARCH:	arm
  target CPU:	cortex-a7
  OpenGLES:	Yes
  ALSA:		Yes
  DBUS:		Yes
  VDPAU:	No
  VAAPI:	No
  OpenMax:	No
  X11:		No
  Bluray:	Yes
  TexturePacker:Yes
  MID Support:	No
  ccache:	Yes
  ALSA Support:	Yes
  PulseAudio:	No
  Google Test Framework Configured:	Yes
  Google Breakpad Configured:	No
  Avahi:	No
  mDNSEmbedded:	No
  Non-free:	No
  MySQL:	Yes
  Webserver:	Yes
  libssh support:	Yes
  libRTMP support:	Yes
  libsmbclient support:	Yes
  libnfs client support:Yes
  AirPlay support:	Yes
  AirTunes support:	No
  UPnP support:		Yes
  Optical drive:	Yes
  libudev support:	Yes
  libusb support:	No
  libcec support:	Yes
  libbluetooth support:	Yes
  libcap support:	Yes
  additional players:	Yes, omxplayer
  additional codecs:	No
  prefix:	/usr/local
------------------------
Thanks!

Kratos

gkreidl

Sat May 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Non-free: No
is the important one.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Kratos

Sat May 21, 2016 3:34 pm

OK, so we look good? Just to be absolutely sure before I end up in prison... :lol:

Kratos

greenbag

Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Except you're going against the "official" kodi/xbmc guidlines on releasing their stuff. It clearly says in their guide what the config should be.

Original official:

CONFIG_EXTRA="--with-platform=raspberry-pi2 --enable-libcec --enable-player=omxplayer --disable-x11 --disable-xrandr --disable-openmax --disable-optical-drive --disable-dvdcss --disable-joystick --disable-crystalhd --disable-vtbdecoder --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --enable-alsa"
Mine:

CFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" CXXFLAGS="-I/opt/vc/include/ -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vcos/pthreads -I/opt/vc/include/interface/vmcs_host/linux -mfloat-abi=hard -mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/vc/lib" FFMPEG_OPTS="--cpu=cortex-a7" ./configure --disable-gl --enable-gles --with-platform=raspberry-pi2 --disable-x11 --disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-avahi --enable-libcec --disable-pulse --enable-optical-drive --enable-dvdcss --enable-libusb --disable-vtbdecoder --enable-alsa --enable-player=omxplayer --enable-libbluray --with-ffmpeg=auto
Optical drive, dvdcss, libbluray, and with-ffmpeg.

You're also releasing prebuilt deb packages, that are not expressly allowed in the wiki. A deb package is an installer, and you can only use official installers.. which cannot be modified. You can only release "official" binaries, which have not been modified. If you don't know what a binary is, then what are you doing in the game?

As for trying to say I lose control of my work because I posted it public, after this punk posted a prebuilt version from my guide.. every damn source code on github is posted publicly. That doesn't give you the right to do whatever the hell you want with it. Do you think popcornmix would allow this sh*t with any of his works? If he told you he didn't want his work released as a public build, would you just say "screw you, I'll do what I want"?

Nobody ever gets anything else from me. Ever.

Return to “Media centres”