BeatTheFreak
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 am

Two screens for home theater?

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:15 am

I am building a custom thin case for my raspberry pi. I want to use it as a media center with the time displayed on a 2.5 inch display on the front. For clarification, I want the pi displaying the entire OS on my TV and a 2.5 inch screen displaying the time on the front of the case, like a DVR.

Would this be possible? If not, could you explain why I can't do it while other DVR's can?

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: Two screens for home theater?

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:05 am

Should be do-able. Presumably you will display movies or whatever via the HDMI output, so you need another output for your 2.5" display.

Have you identified the 2.5" display hardware? How will you connect it to the Pi?

Once you have figured out how to connect the display then you'll need some software to drive it. If you are lucky then there is a plugin or something for your media player software that knows what to do. Otherwise you'll have to do it yourself.

So, in summary, how are you connecting to your main media display? What hardware do you have in mind for the 2.5" display, and how will you connect it to the Pi? What media centre software are you using?

HiroProtagonist
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:45 am

Re: Two screens for home theater?

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:22 pm

BeatTheFreak wrote:I am building a custom thin case for my raspberry pi. I want to use it as a media center with the time displayed on a 2.5 inch display on the front. For clarification, I want the pi displaying the entire OS on my TV and a 2.5 inch screen displaying the time on the front of the case, like a DVR.

Would this be possible? If not, could you explain why I can't do it while other DVR's can?
This is possible. The easiest approach uses LCDproc and an LCD or VFD [i.e. character based] display. Most media center distros support LCDproc out of the box.

If you wanted to support a graphical display, you'd have to roll your own.

BeatTheFreak
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 am

Re: Two screens for home theater?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:00 am

HiroProtagonist wrote:
BeatTheFreak wrote:I am building a custom thin case for my raspberry pi. I want to use it as a media center with the time displayed on a 2.5 inch display on the front. For clarification, I want the pi displaying the entire OS on my TV and a 2.5 inch screen displaying the time on the front of the case, like a DVR.

Would this be possible? If not, could you explain why I can't do it while other DVR's can?
This is possible. The easiest approach uses LCDproc and an LCD or VFD [i.e. character based] display. Most media center distros support LCDproc out of the box.

If you wanted to support a graphical display, you'd have to roll your own.
How would I connect the small LCD to my raspberry pi if it only has 1 hdmi port?

Massi
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Two screens for home theater?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:17 am

BeatTheFreak wrote:How would I connect the small LCD to my raspberry pi if it only has 1 hdmi port?
You can use i2c or spi or some gpio lines.
As said, if it's enough for you a text display, you can take any dh44780 display (ie 2x20) and connect to gpio lines
or you can take some small oled displays (SSD1306, for example) and control them through i2c or spi bus
or some specific spi displays..

ame
Posts: 3172
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 am
Location: Korea

Re: Two screens for home theater?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 am

BeatTheFreak wrote: How would I connect the small LCD to my raspberry pi if it only has 1 hdmi port?
Well, you can't connect it via HDMI. This is why I asked you what 2.5" LCD you had in mind.

BeatTheFreak
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:09 am

Re: Two screens for home theater?

Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:19 pm

Massi wrote:
BeatTheFreak wrote:How would I connect the small LCD to my raspberry pi if it only has 1 hdmi port?
You can use i2c or spi or some gpio lines.
As said, if it's enough for you a text display, you can take any dh44780 display (ie 2x20) and connect to gpio lines
or you can take some small oled displays (SSD1306, for example) and control them through i2c or spi bus
or some specific spi displays..
Thanks so much for this. It really helped!

Return to “Media centres”