dicamion

raspberry pi 2 b media centres harware + casing project.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:03 am

Hello everybody.

I am new to raspberry Pi, I don't even have a raspberry pi... I have some questions for the community before buying everything.

You can see attached, what I plan to do. So basically I would like a media center for my tv, using a rasp pi 2b, booting on a Small Sata with windows 10, (it is already installed on it, but at the first bug I will install raspbian). I want to be able to work on simple word documents, and to go to internet.

1) Please tell me if my scheme sounds good?

2) I have questions regarding the power supply If I plug a 2ma adapter to the hub, will it be enough for 2 hard disk and the pi plus all the different dongles? If not what can I do? ( a on/off button to the usb for the intern hard disk? I would prefer to be able to copy paste from one hard disk to the other one.)

3) The micro Usb doesn't act like a data USB it is just for power supply, right? So I need to plug the hub to the USB + micro USB like in the scheme, right?

4) What kind of hub can allow me to have 2 or 4 usb outside the casing, and two internal Usb, and a power supply?

5) Can I boot on the hard disk alone, without SD card, and use the SD card for pictures?

6) Is it ok to connect a hard disk from mini-b to usb3 to raspi?

7) will it be ok for the connectivity if the USB dongles (wifi, remote) will be in a wooden casing? If not I think that I will do things differently and that I will not try to do a small computer casing, but something more like a squid, with all the USB cables outside (one converted to power supply)...

8) would you please accept my sincere thanks if you have some of the answers to this questions?

;-) Dicamion
Attachments
g4878.png
g4878.png (45.78 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

HiroProtagonist

Re: raspberry pi 2 b media centres harware + casing project.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:19 pm

dicamion wrote: You can see attached, what I plan to do. So basically I would like a media center for my tv, using a rasp pi 2b, booting on a Small Sata with windows 10, (it is already installed on it, but at the first bug I will install raspbian). I want to be able to work on simple word documents, and to go to internet.

1) Please tell me if my scheme sounds good?
Up to the part about using windows... Seriously, don't do that, you won't get a working media player that way.
2) I have questions regarding the power supply If I plug a 2ma adapter to the hub, will it be enough for 2 hard disk and the pi plus all the different dongles? If not what can I do? ( a on/off button to the usb for the intern hard disk? I would prefer to be able to copy paste from one hard disk to the other one.)
2ma is approx 1/1000 the current you need. You'll need at least 2000ma, or putting it another way, 2A. If you have a power supply capable of more than 2A, that won't be a problem at all.
3) The micro Usb doesn't act like a data USB it is just for power supply, right? So I need to plug the hub to the USB + micro USB like in the scheme, right?
What you have is good.
5) Can I boot on the hard disk alone, without SD card, and use the SD card for pictures?
No, you must boot from SD.
7) will it be ok for the connectivity if the USB dongles (wifi, remote) will be in a wooden casing?
A wooden casing is fine.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:11 am

The USB Hub will not provide 5V 2A you will need to power the RPi and Peripherals*

Regards USB Hard Drive maybe ?:

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... d.13833200

* in you diagram you appear to have your USB Hub wrong, as you should be using one of the 4 USB Ports to power the RPi, you have added an extra output
Retired disgracefully.....

dicamion

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:58 am

Thank you both for your assistance.

So I will remove windows and use rasbian.
I made a mistake I was interested by a 2A (2000mA) charger, but you think that I need more if I use a small hard disk?

Fruitoftheloom, I use the hub for the power supply, and for data.
That what I was asking, if I plug it to the micro usb port only I will not be able to use the hub to plug a mouse or a wifi dongle!?!?
So I need to plug the hub to one of the 4usb ports, not for the power supply but to share informations with other peripherals. Am I right?

Thank you.

dicamion

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:12 am

Fruit of the loom, I just visited your link. I can't see a major difference with my scheme... A same USB cable shares datas and power, and it is sort of a hub. I don't get it :oops: :oops: :oops:

rpdom

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:23 am

dicamion wrote:Fruit of the loom, I just visited your link. I can't see a major difference with my scheme... A same USB cable shares datas and power, and it is sort of a hub. I don't get it :oops: :oops: :oops:
The main thing with what fruity linked to is that it is a power supply, hard disk and USB cable all combined into one simple setup. There is no USB hub or extra PSU needed. It's quite a nice solution. I wish I could afford one :(

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:29 am

dicamion wrote:Thank you both for your assistance.

So I will remove windows and use rasbian.
I made a mistake I was interested by a 2A (2000mA) charger, but you think that I need more if I use a small hard disk?

Fruitoftheloom, I use the hub for the power supply, and for data.
That what I was asking, if I plug it to the micro usb port only I will not be able to use the hub to plug a mouse or a wifi dongle!?!?
So I need to plug the hub to one of the 4usb ports, not for the power supply but to share informations with other peripherals. Am I right?

Thank you.
Mains Powered USB Hub

Power Input
4 or 7 USB Ports
DATA Input /Output Port

Therefore how are you going to power the RPI ? Your diagram is wrong ?

dicamion

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:35 am

If this way (on my scheme), it sends power to the Hard disk, why can't it send power to the RPI too?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:41 am

dicamion wrote:If this way (on my scheme), it sends power to the Hard disk, why can't it send power to the RPI too?
You diagram is wrong :roll:

The PURPLE Micro USB to USB does not exist when using a USB Mains Powered HUB

dicamion

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:03 am

Okay I think I get it know...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
drums rolling...

If I plug the Raspi's big USB port to a mains USB powered hub I don't need to send power by the micro USB port...
Since the beginning I was thinking that it was an obligation that the power comes from this micro usb port...
So my micro USB port will be useless as I will not use it for power supply and it can't be used to plug a peripheral...

:? :? :?

dicamion

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:44 am

I did some research on internet it seems that there is a lot of wrong informations...

this diagram that this website propose is the same as mine:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... he-pi-safe
It seems that I am not the only one to be lost...
It says that it will backfeed the raspi...

So my diagram is not wrong it is just that I need to snip the 5v line in the yellow usb...

Right?

Thank you for your patience.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 am

dicamion wrote:I did some research on internet it seems that there is a lot of wrong informations...

this diagram that this website propose is the same as mine:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... he-pi-safe
It seems that I am not the only one to be lost...
It says that it will backfeed the raspi...

So my diagram is not wrong it is just that I need to snip the 5v line in the yellow usb...

Right?

Thank you for your patience.
BackFeed was disabled with the Raspberry Pi B+ and 2B, these models have 4 USB Ports :shock:

The link you provided is 2 years old and only applies to the 2 USB Port Model B :D

It is best when using a RPi Model 2B to only use information from 2015 as it was only launched in February ;)

dicamion

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 am

I have never been that lost. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought that all models worked on the same principle. Thank you for this explanantion.

If you use this diagram. What should I connect together.
(ex: A-B , E-C)
Attachments
g4296.png
g4296.png (48.34 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 pm

If you are only plugging in 4 USB Devices you should not need a Mains Powered USB Hub.

You will need a decent quality PSU

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/un ... wer-supply

Then increase the Single USB Bus power from 600 to 1200ma

https://projects.drogon.net/testing-set ... berry-pi-b

This works for my setup :D

DarrenHill

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm

You can also forget the specific need for USB3 on the drive connection to the Pi, as the Pi itself only does USB2. So if you use USB3 it won't give you any speed benefits, unless you're thinking of having it removable for connection/population on another machine which does support USB3.

I also offer the link below, which is a (funded) Indiegogo project which is almost exactly what you are producing. It was completed a few months ago, and the boxes are now manufactured and began shipping a few days ago. I should have one en-route, but it's not arrived yet.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plus ... /x/8709493#/

Return to “Media centres”