beardymouse

Running OSMC and Raspbian at the same time

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 am

Hi,

I'm sure it's been asked before but after many weeks of looking for an answer, I haven't found anything that a noob like me can understand.

I love OSMC, but is there any way of leaving Raspbian running whilst using OSMC on the same device?

Is there a way of booting OSMC from Raspbian, leaving my Raspbian session (and applications) active?

Or is there a quality alternative media server I can use that can be used at the same time as Raspbian?

Apologies for the basic level of understanding, I'm only just getting to grips with the pi. Thanks in advance for the help.

HiroProtagonist

Re: Running OSMC and Raspbian at the same time

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:07 pm

beardymouse wrote: I love OSMC, but is there any way of leaving Raspbian running whilst using OSMC on the same device?
No, you can run one or the other, not both.
Is there a way of booting OSMC from Raspbian, leaving my Raspbian session (and applications) active?
No, you cannot do this. However, you can run Kodi [the media center used by OSMC] under Raspbian, which I suspect is what you actually want.

sam nazarko

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:19 pm

We will be adding a desktop environment to OSMC soon and you will be able to switch between Kodi and the desktop environment

Sam

NeilM

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 am

Sam, is it possible for my kids to start a Scratch session from within OSMC now? They use OSMC as their version of TV, but I'd like to introduce them (10 and 6.5 years old) to coding now.

Thanks, Neil.

PS your work on RaspBMC/OSMC has been very impressive from the outset - I hope you're capitalising on it!

caporeira

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:41 pm

It's possible to start openelec or osmc automatically afer restart rpi?

It is a tutorial how to config kodi on raspbian?

Raspbian lite is on for kodi and Hamachi?

DirkS

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:12 pm

caporeira wrote:It's possible to start openelec or osmc automatically afer restart rpi? ?
Sure, just install OSMC or Openelec on a new SD card and it will start automatically when powering up your Pi.
It is a tutorial how to config kodi on raspbian?
On Raspbian you can use apt-get to install Kodi. Configuration is the same as any other flavour of Kodi.

And please, don't hijack unrelated topics. Start your own...

caporeira

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Thank you, I have already osmc but is not possible to install Hamachi :-(

I have no public IP

fruitoftheloom

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:29 pm

caporeira wrote:Thank you, I have already osmc but is not possible to install Hamachi :-(

I have no public IP
OSMC is an Operating System not based on Raspbian OS therefore it may be prudent to ask the Developers

https://discourse.osmc.tv

IMO juust undertake a fresh install of Raspbian Jessie (without NOOBS) and then install KODI and other software packages.
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Media centres”