Standalone Media Centre

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:38 pm

Hello,

I would like to use my Raspberry Pi to do three things:

-get on the internet to find torrents
-download said torrents to an external HDD
-play media files from the Rpi
* it must also have a high wife-acceptance-factor

Is there a GUI distro available that would fill these requirements?

I must stress that I would like to use it as a standalone device connected to the Internet and my television, and not in conjunction with a streaming server of any kind.

Also, obviously, I am, for all intents and purposes, a noob at Linux.

Thanks a lot.

alaxy galaxy

Re: Standalone Media Centre

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Bump.

stevepdp

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Moving to the Media Centres and Gaming forum, your question should get more attention here.

worm

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Not 100% sure about torrents, but sounds like you want OpenElec/RaspBMC

I'm running OpenElec and it's working fine. Not yet worked with torrents, but xbmc(the media centre in OpenElec) does have add-ons to tie into torrent clients such as rtorrent.

alaxy galaxy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks,

I did try Open Elec / XBMC, but I think the add-ons aren't quite up to what I want to do yet - perhaps it'll work later.

If the simple web browser was slightly less 'simple' I could do all I want to do, I must admit. However, it's a bit too basic.

I understand the point of keeping the distros as small as possible is part of their charm, but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who wants to do what I want to do.

Pakka

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:43 am

As a complete Linux noob I'm desperately trying to get some sort of torrent service (like transmission) working with OpenELEC, but I just can't seem to get it working.

Has anyone had any success with this?

fruitloaf

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 am

Personally I would go with raspbmc and install transmission with the web gui on it. You have to add torrents via a browser, this could be on the Pi or just via your computer but the GUI is nice and easy to use.

You can monitor the progress of torrents either via the web gui or there are plugins for transmission for XBMC.

kynax

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm doing something similar to this but on a DNS-321 NAS.

I run Transmission as the torrent client. I can access it via any PC and add torrents manually.

I also run Automatic. It fetches torrents from an RSS feed and adds them to Transmission. I don't know if there is an equivalent for your setup.

The way it's set up right now, it automatically downloads all my TV shows and moves them to the correct folders when the downloads are done.

nathancrowster

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Can someone help me with setting up transmission.
I have installed OpenElec on my rashberry pi installed transmission but unable to access it via browser from my laptop,

also when i try to open the app on OpenElec i get" Transmission error could not connect to Transmission
open setting dialog?

My setting are on default

Mr.McGee

Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,

Did you find a solution for the problem "Transmission error could not connect to Transmission"?
Can't seem to figure this one out.

Thanks.

mitsurugi

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Have you tried using the uTorrent add on for openelec?

neophytte

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 am

Try transmission, here is a tut for setting it up in the GUI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KIcaYwwKOc

I would suggest you need the full XBMC as my experiences with OpenElec seem to have no underlying GUI.

HTH - let us know how you get on!

Richard
{sig}
Pi1 [media]: Updated version Raspberry Pi (B, rev2, 512Mb), Samsung 58" Plasma (PN58C8000YFXZA), 8GB Class 6 SD Card with RaspBMC
Pi2 [webserver?]: Original Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256Mb), headless, 4Gb Class 6 SD Card
{/sig}

Pahchay

Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 am

I have a similar requirement. I would like to have my Raspberry Pi as a standalone media center on my boat where internet access can often be unavailable. The problem I'm having with this is that I might only want to have certain movies or music on different storage drives. Whenever I connect a storage location it adds whatever the media is to the library but it stays there even when the media is disconnected. I don't want to have to second guess what is available on a particular storage device if I swap drives, or something. Is there a way to just get OSMC to only populate the links to media that is available? If I pull the thumb drive out that has my music on it, and connect a drive with movies, the movies should show up, etc. Any ideas?

Return to “Media centres”