lastweek
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Hey everybody,

I was running RaspBMC for a while, and then one day saw that they were not supporting it anymore and switching to OSMC. I installed OSMC via the desktop application onto my class 10 sd card (8gb). I popped it in and a rainbow screen just appeared with a red rectangle in the corner, I have a 512mb B+. Looking online, it's saying the pi is either overheating or under-powered. The power-supply I have is a CanaKit 2.5a, and tested fine with my voltmeter. My heatsinks are copper JBTeks by the way.

Has anybody else had issues with OSMC installs or CanaKit?

User avatar
xoopha
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:37 pm

The huge rainbow square at boot is a GPU test, the small top right reddish square is supposed to be overheat but there is a bug with the firmware that makes it appear at boot as well even when it makes no sense. If you don't get it anywhere else you can most probably ignore it.

lastweek
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Oh awesome. Would there be a reason for it not to boot past the color box? It's just hanging there, I can't even ssh in to see the logs.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36322
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:16 pm

lastweek wrote:Oh awesome. Would there be a reason for it not to boot past the color box? It's just hanging there, I can't even ssh in to see the logs.
What's on the primary #1 FAT partition on your SDCard?
How old are bootcode.bin, start*.elf, fixup*.dat?
What do the LEDs show when it fails to boot?

Even if you're not attempting to boot NOOBS or Raspbian http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151 is still relevant.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20922
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:17 pm

OSMC is still Alpha ie testing https://osmc.tv/download/images

Raspbmc for the RPi ARMv6 is still current until OSMC is stable afaiaa

OpenElec imo is better as a Media Centre Distro http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
Retired disgracefully.....

User avatar
Douglas6
Posts: 4778
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:20 pm

I downloaded an image from here, imaged it to a card with WinDiskImager, and that booted fine. Runs fine too, on a model B, but remember it IS alpha.

https://osmc.tv/download/images/

lastweek
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
lastweek wrote:Oh awesome. Would there be a reason for it not to boot past the color box? It's just hanging there, I can't even ssh in to see the logs.
What's on the primary #1 FAT partition on your SDCard?
How old are bootcode.bin, start*.elf, fixup*.dat?
What do the LEDs show when it fails to boot?

Even if you're not attempting to boot NOOBS or Raspbian http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=58151 is still relevant.
Right now just the image for OSMC and bootcode.bin, start*.elf,fixup*.dat should all be updated to whatever OSMC uses. I'll double check when I get home and verify. And leds just flash red/green.

lastweek
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:27 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:OSMC is still Alpha ie testing https://osmc.tv/download/images

Raspbmc for the RPi ARMv6 is still current until OSMC is stable afaiaa

OpenElec imo is better as a Media Centre Distro http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
I think I'll wait till a stable release comes out. I've heard a great deal about the OSMC and had high hopes of the Alpha, I'll try again when I get home, if not I'll go with openelec.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: OSMC Rainbow Box

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:18 pm

I'd also suggest going with OpenElec. OSMC is very much in alpha and you're going to find more pitfalls with any alpha or beta release than you're probably wanting to deal with. OpenElec on the other hand provides just as much functionality as OSMC, which as far as I can tell is the same version of Kodi as openelec is using, except rebranded for their little media hardware box.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “Media centres”