JohnStabler

Mono: Cairo not using hardware acceleration

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:38 pm

I've built a simple graphics project in mono and tried executing it. Even drawing a few simple shapes is achingly slow. I've been analysing the performance of the code and Mono is lightning fast, it's the drawing operations that are killing the speed.

I'm running Arch Linux with LXDE and obviously there is no hardware acceleration. Is there ever going to be acceleration for Cairo? It is supposed to be able to use OpenGL.

If there is no chance of using any graphics libraries built on X then can somebody suggest an alternative rendering option for use with Mono?

Thanks in advance.
John Stabler MBCS - Veteran Computer Programmer

andyl

Re: Mono: Cairo not using hardware acceleration

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Yep, hardware acceleration is being worked on for X. Once it has been finished and your system has been upgraded you should see an improvement. Unfortunately there is no ETA.

JohnStabler

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 pm

That's a real shame because there's a lot of potential for 2D graphical applications. The Mono applications I've been testing have worked very well apart from the graphics. I guess I'll just have to develop for other platforms and check back regularly.

Thanks.
John Stabler MBCS - Veteran Computer Programmer

andyl

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:13 pm

If it is any consolation it is every language not just the mono languages AND it is general performance inside X (there are loads of people complaining).

I am sure that it will be pretty obvious when announced on the forums and I would put money on it being tweeted and maybe a front page announcement.

obijywk

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:33 am

When I was experimenting with cairo on Raspberry Pi (outside of X) I found the OpenGL ES backend to be slow (due to software rendering I suspect), and the OpenVG backend to be really incomplete and buggy (although definitely hardware-accelerated and quite fast).

See my thread about this:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 03&p=84022

I suspect what you're interested in is hardware acceleration of the Xlib backend though.

Return to “Other programming languages”