Ganty

Delphi on Raspberry Pi

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi

I am currently in Grade 11 and at my school we have a Computer Programming Class where we learn IT theory and Delphi programming, with the Delphi 7 IDE. I recently purchased my RPi, so I am busy getting ready and I was wondering if you can program in Delphi on the RPi and if so does anyone else program in Delphi.

Thanks

andyl

Re: Delphi on Raspberry Pi

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Not Delphi itself.

But FreePascal and Lazarus (the IDE).

I don't know how fast the IDE runs. But Free Pascal supports (to some degree) Delphi like object pascal. You should find yourself productive without too much re-learning of stuff.

jmacey

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 pm

unfortunately I don't think there is a version of Delphi (or Kylix which is the linux version) for the pi.

There are several pascal compilers you can install which will allow you to do basic programming ( free pascal or fpc is a good start, you can install this by typing sudo apt-get install fpc in the shell).

There is also a good project called Lazarus http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/ however it doesn't seem to be built for the pi as yet (I think problems with the IDE) but perhaps it may be possible to built it from the source (which could be a big job). I personally don't use pascal much anymore so I sure somebody else here may have more insight.

Another route you may wish to look at is learning python which similar to pascal in some respects but has a much larger codebase and community under linux.

Hope this helps

Jon

Ganty

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. When I get my RPi I'll try out lazarus.

robsoft

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi, I'm a full-time Delphi Developer (from D1 back in about '95, currently spend most of my time in 2007 but have XE2/FireMonkey etc all installed and ready to explore).

I'd be quite interested in using Delphi on the Pi too. I've recently been picking up bits of Mono (C#) and Python to help get some jobs done on Ubuntu, and my assumption has been that I'd need to use Python, Java or Mono to develop stuff on the Pi too.

I've used Lazarus on Ubuntu, a long time ago, and decided it fell a bit short of what I had hoped it would be but in fairness this was perhaps 3 years ago and I know it has an active community so I expect it's changed a lot since then!

Nothing really to add to your topic other than to mention that there are Delphi developers hanging around here, if nothing else :-)
--
Rob, Robsoft. Delphi, C#, SQL Server, Xamarin, Raspi

pbreneman

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:12 pm

I have a number of minimal distributions of Free Pascal that make it *very* easy to try things. See this new message:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 971#p93971

zog

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi,
I am experimenting with free pascal at the moment on the pi, which is a turbo pascal clone / Delphi 7 clone. I am very keen to get free pascal and eventually Lazarus working fully on the pi fully although I'm a linux newbie so I ran into a few problems when I tried to execute code I had compiled on a FAT partition. Linux doesn't like executing code from a FAT partition. So far I have compiled the infamous hello world program and executed it. The fp program doesn't seem to run well under xwindows on the pi as it redraws itself incorrectly, however it will run outside of xwindows and apparently from a telnet terminal so it should be possible to use another PC to telnet to the PI, this could be handy for debugging purposes. I would like usb mouse support outside of xwindows I am just researching how to do this. I will try to keep everyone posted about my progress.

Jack Taylor

zog

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 pm

UPDATE

Thanks to darkbasic I now have Debian wheezy up and running on the pi. I have installed the LXDE desktop, fpc and Lazarus on my pi. This morning I wrote a simple program using Lazarus on the pi which compiled the code some what slowly, but it ran.

This is major progress - I will try to put an image of my disk some where up on my web site when I get chance, work allowing. Also fp works much better under wheezy.

Jack Taylor

Return to “Other programming languages”