I will investigate further
13%
Not for me
38%

Total votes: 8
lobster

Vala

Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 am

Vala and Genie are remarkable languages.
Vala itself is similar to C# and Genie is similar to Basic or Python.
I think of the language as compiled Python . . .
Two languages for the price of one. The price = $0 incidentally

I would provide links but forum rules are too restrictive - previous posts have links stripped. :cry:
Do a DuckDuckGo/Google search :idea:

Here is an intro page I created a few years ago . . . hope that gets through :)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GenieProgramming

The great thing is you can start coding - without a board
on Linux
or Windows . . .
and then port

Do you have plans for Vala?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Vala

Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 am

compiled python? I was under the impression that python systems could compile their code already.

shirro

Sun May 27, 2012 2:21 am

Vala looks great. Until you try and compile something with it on a Pi. It was very slow and used heaps of memory when I tried. It might be one of those cross-compile only things until they optimise their pre-processor.

andyl

Mon May 28, 2012 9:01 am

lobster wrote:Vala and Genie are remarkable languages.
Vala itself is similar to C# and Genie is similar to Basic or Python.
I think of the language as compiled Python . . .
Two languages for the price of one. The price = $0 incidentally
The problem with programming languages isn't remarkable languages. There are plenty of them. I could probably reel off a list of a couple of dozen without breaking sweat (incidentally all of which cost $0 or £0 if you prefer).

Community is the key. That is what defines whether a language lives or dies on a platform. I don't think either Vala or Genie has a sufficient community or ever will. That may well be the case for languages like Go and Dart and Io too.

antiloquax

Mon May 28, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm interested in Vala and Genie, but so far I haven't got much further than compiling them / it on my qemu-Pi.
The more languages that we can show the RPi running, the better IMO!
:D

andyl

Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 pm

antiloquax wrote:I'm interested in Vala and Genie, but so far I haven't got much further than compiling them / it on my qemu-Pi.
The more languages that we can show the RPi running, the better IMO!
:D
Well yes, but there are thousands of languages which will run adequately on the hardware.

Too much may talk of minor languages (in terms of community) may end up swamping people especially if we start talking about the more esoteric languages like brainf*ck

Personally I feel that the top-tier languages on Linux are C, C++, Python. Perl, Ruby,. When you add in web based solutions you can add PHP, Java and Javascript. Although Javascript is making a bid to move away from its web heritage and to be seen as a general purpose language.

jui-feng

Wed May 30, 2012 6:34 pm

I'll probably be a vala-on-Raspi user.

I created a very simple web server library (with some more advanced features to help cope with the very low upstream bandwidth from my home internet connection) in vala.

With the help of this library, I coded a very simple "gpxTracker" (as I call it) that visualizes tracks from GPX files on an OpenStreetMap and shows some charts and stats on a web page.

I plan to have that service running on my Raspi. It might be a good motivation to use my bike more often. And if is not, coding the gpxTracker was still a fun exercise. :mrgreen:

antiloquax

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:55 am

andyl wrote: ... especially if we start talking about the more esoteric languages like brainf*ck.
Hmm, that's interesting. I've had a look at a couple of sites about BF. There's quite a lot of good info on Muppetlabs.
I've downloaded awib, but so far I haven't had a chance to do much with it.
mark

m4r35n357

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm using Vala (together with VPython/matplotlib and shell) very successfully to simulate particle orbits around black holes https://github.com/m4r35n357/BlackHole4dVala. Although most of the development is done on an Intel NUC, I make sure that I can build and run the programs and use Geany as an IDE on the Pi.
Unfortunately VPython needs the OpenGL support, and that messes up gitk (Tk?), but that's a minor niggle really.
I really like Vala.

Heater

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 pm

So what is this about?

After following the links above I find out nothing about what the language is actually about.

What I did find kicks off with some discussion of Gnome and GTK, which sound like implementation details to me.

What are these languages about?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “Other programming languages”