DavidS

Re: A Extended Pascal Implementation : CONCEPT.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Heater wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:53 pm
DavidS.

All doom and gloom in the linux kernel world? Not really.

Yes the kernel source is big. Don't forget that when you download the kernel source that includes the code for all supported architectures. It includes the code for all drivers of all supported devices on all architectures. What you actually end up running on a particular machine is a lot less.
I was talking about just the kernel source is pretty big. That is without any of the other HW support code, just a bare kernel. The other stuff is often not used, depending on the configuration.
There is no evidence that the kernel is "getting rather unwildly, beyond the abilty to well maintain." The kerenel lead developers will tell you the opposite. Everything is well partitioned and managed. Development is proceeding as smoothly as ever.
Same said for multics.
Despite everything running in kerenel mode I'm amazed how device drivers and such can crash, dump a stack trace, etc, without bringing down the entire system. Seems a micro-kernel is not required to make things robust. I'm no expert on such things mind, just making observations.

Yes, running Linux in 4MB of RAM might be a stretch. But Linux runs on many very small devices. Like phones and tiny WiFi routers etc. This does not seem to be a problem.
Which one of those is a small device? Those all have at least tens of MB ram some form of mass storage, etc.
There is no sign that the flexibility of Linux is what is killing it. Quite the opposite in fact. It does run everywhere after all.
For now. Do we forget some of the Linux Kernel bugs that have been exploited, in a few cases bugs that would be unlikely to go unnoticed in smaller codebases?

I do like Lunux, just making an observation about how things are headed.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

Return to “Other programming languages”