jackokring

OpenOffice/LibreOffice and StarBasic

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:30 pm

There seems to be no thread about anything to do with using the BASIC built into OpenOffice and LibreOffice. I think this is a missed opportunity as there is an easy root to learning programming. The basic macro entry screen is accessed from a new document, and then select Tools -> Macros -> Organise Macros -> OpenOffice/LibreOffice Basic... and then edit and add options in the dialog.

The other types of macro include python, JavaScript and Java NetBeans. They use the UNO API, but the editors are not built into the office package. If you try editing them in the office package a program crash recovery occurs. But basic is fine for now, and allows either text or calc documents. I'm not sure if BASIC works with the draw module, but I'm sure you can put an embedded blank drawing in a text document and reference it. Maybe a graph in calc would be better for most, just update the sheet, and the graph updates.

Any more tips on the hidden StarBASIC of the best office packages?
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Re: OpenOffice/LibreOffice and StarBasic

Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm

I think its actuall Visual Basic for Applications (abbreviated VBA) thats included in libre and open office, not the same as regular Basic, infact its very much different (object orientated for a start)

BlackJack

Re: OpenOffice/LibreOffice and StarBasic

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:21 am

@6677: VBA is a Microsoft product and therefore certainly not part of LibreOffice or OpenOffice. ;-)

And there is no „regular Basic”. Unless you mean the original Dartmouth BASIC or the ISO standardisation. Almost all BASIC dialects deviate from those and there are so many of them, that „regular BASIC” becomes a useless term.

Code: Select all

while not self.asleep():
    sheep += 1

Return to “Other programming languages”