RockwellAIM65

Free C/C++ dev and debug environment

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:25 am

I came across this interesting PDF describing how the free-of-charge Community Edition of a professional grade development and debugging environment has been set-up for Pi C/C++ work.

http://www.hitex.co.uk/fileadmin/uk-fil ... S5-Rpi.pdf

I found this while looking for a development and debugging environment for Pi assembler, in fact. The Professional and Ultimate Editions of the environment (ARM DS-5) appear to provide what I'm looking for - but cost a packet! If you know of comparable low/zero cost equivalents then please post.

johnfron

Re: Free C/C++ dev and debug environment

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Take a look at NetBeans. You a full GUI-IDE, that supports remote compilation and debugging. Even better, it can support local compiler toolsets. So you could build a cross compiler for your environment, compile locally, and run on the Pi. I have NetBeans running on OS X, with a cross compiler toolset on OS X. I save my projects on a Samba share, that is accessible on the Pi and OS X. The projects are save and compile on the share, and then run directly from there. It was a bit of work to get cross compiling to work, but remote compilation is very simple with Netbeans. You just need an SSH connection.

Good luck!

pwinwood

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Personally I use BVRDE http://bvrde.sourceforge.net/?q=home on Windows to do this.
It is free (GPL) and much lighter weight then the Eclipse based ARM DS-5.
I also distribute the C/C++ part builds to a Linux server using DistCC.
As I was typing this I suddenly thought that I could try using BVRDE on the MAC (or Linux) using Wine!
Off to try this now :) .

RockwellAIM65

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestions from each of you - I plan to investigate both NetBeans (I had filed this under 'JAVA only' which is not the case) and BVRDE.

DS-5 is impressive - but large. It grabs 2.5Gb of disk, which is about the same overhead as Visual Studio Pro 2012. If you try DS-5 and the 'DS-5 Workspace Export' example, please note that it's coded to expect the DS-5 application install to have gone into C:\Program Files (x86), not C:\Program Files, as well as expecting the example itself to be in C:\.

Looking forward to reading the outcome of the BVRDE / Wine investigation!

RockwellAIM65

Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:10 am

Hi pwinwood and johnfron plus anyone else interested,

I decided to persevere with the DS-5 Community Edition, despite the fact that it does not include an/the ARM Assembler, and have now configured it so that I can:

* use DS-5 / Eclipse for DS-5 on my Windows laptop to manage files locally and on the RPi as a remote device (all you need is the RPi's IP address and to create a root password on the RPi for this)

* use MinGW for C/C++ development in DS-5

* use YARGATO and YARGATO Tools for Assembler development in DS-5

* create .o files on my laptop from e.g. .s source files that contain RPi-specific code, copy these to the RPi and then create executables on the RPi

* debug Assembler programs that are on the RPi through DS-5 on my laptop

* create executable files on the laptop from generic source code and then copy these to the RPi

* debug C programs on my laptop via DS-5 both when they are local or on the RPi

* the debug tool includes e.g. the ability to see the content of the ARM processor's registers

For anyone who isn't reading this and thinking "bug deal, I can do that already", please post if you think it would be useful for me to write a 'how to' on this.

I did evaluate NetBeans and BVRDE, pwinwood and johnfron, so thanks for the tips; I decided to persevere with DS-5 Community Edition because I like its look-and-feel (and because I liked the challenge, to be honest).

RockwellAIM65

Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:36 am

A correction/apology:

In the line "create executable files on the laptop from generic source code and then copy these to the RPi", I meant to write "create c source files".

A c source file with generic commands can generate a .exe file for windows - and the same c source file can be copied to the RPi where an executable file for the RPi can be generated.

An .exe file can be copied from Windows to the RPi - but it won't run.

caprock

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:48 pm

RockwellAIM65:

The Hitex links for the RPi/DS-5 WorkspaceExport.zip Examples does not appear to be working, and I would be most interested in the toolset definitions for the DS-5.

I use Eclipse under Linux and have downloaded the DS-5 Community Edition, but am lost as to where to go next.

I am sure others will be interested as well. Thanks!

Return to “C/C++”