IBeRyUS

Linaro armv8l-linux-gnueabihf compiler

Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:08 am

Hi there,

I saw this 32 bit armv8l compiler on Linaro's download page. I downloaded this toolchain compiled a small serial port project. As initial testing it works fine.

I checked Raspberry native compiler and it is arm-linux-gnueabihf. I'm writing code for raspberry 3b+ and CM3+ so core is A53 which is armv8 architecture. I know raspbian kernel doesn't support 64 bit of the core.

I compared the output of two compilers with same flags. LST files are little different around libc initialisation other than opcodes are quite identical.

My question is what is the difference between 32bit armv8l-linux-gnueabihf compiler and arm-linux-gnueabihf compiler?

Thanks.

swampdog

Re: Linaro armv8l-linux-gnueabihf compiler

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:24 am

Nothing obvious looking at the linaro website so you'll probably have to look at the source for the configs. This *might* help..

Code: Select all

gcc -v --help 2>&1 | less
gcc -march=native -Q --help=target | less
..replacing 'gcc' accordingly.

IBeRyUS

Re: Linaro armv8l-linux-gnueabihf compiler

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:20 am

swampdog wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:24 am
Nothing obvious looking at the linaro website so you'll probably have to look at the source for the configs. This *might* help..

Code: Select all

gcc -v --help 2>&1 | less
gcc -march=native -Q --help=target | less
..replacing 'gcc' accordingly.
They are quite undocumented. I searched online too but nothing came up.
I checked those outputs and also compared created opcodes. Seems ok but still worried to use. Maybe some of the armv8 32 bit instruction set implemented on armv8l-gcc but unless good documentation it will be experiment use only.

And also ARM company doesn't provide armv8l version of gcc toolchain on this link.. I think it was a side project for GCC-7 toolchain to support armv8 core but with GCC-8 they don't need it anymore.

I need to use linaro gcc-7 because ARM also doesn't provide gnueabihf cross compiler for windows environment.

Return to “C/C++”