ghobad123

What is the best IDE for C++?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:03 am

Dear all,
I want to start C++ (or C#) programming on my Pi. I prefer to write programs with GUI, just like win32 applications written in C# which contains textbox, checkbox and so on. What IDE is suitable for me? Can I write my codes in C# on my desktop and then port them to the Pi? If so, how to do it?

Regards.

brekee12

Re: What is the best IDE for C++?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:39 am

You can write programs in Geany, a lightweight IDE with many usefull options. It runs fast enough RPi.
You can assemble your dialogs and other windows of Gtk+ with Glades.
Compilation can happen with gcc a standard unic c compiler, this compiles c++, too.

I do not know how this happens in windows and PC, but Raspberry is not as fast as a PC, software development suits not available, you can set everything with different programs, so this list is only an options.
Brekee12
on a Raspberry B+ with whezzy, two Zero with Jessie Light

ghans

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:47 am

Use the QtCreator IDE on Windows/Linux, compile and debug
on your PC and at the end transfer all project files to the
Pi and run qmake there.

Might save you some headaches with cross-compilers.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

MarkHaysHarris777

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:31 am

ghobad123 wrote:I prefer to write programs with GUI, just like win32 applications written in C# which contains textbox, checkbox and so on. What IDE is suitable for me?
I understand what you are after...

... I would like to encourage you to program C|C++ without an IDE. You will learn more, your skills wil be more portable, (believe it or not) your code will be cleaner and more reliable.

I learned to use vi. I use gnu tools for compilation, linking, and debugging; all on the command line. I usually have multiple terminals open (or terminal screens, or multiple tabs); but, they're all terminals !

IDEs are a crutch (in my opinion). This is not a judgment clause... its just the truth. If you learn vi, and how to program from the command line, you're free ! You can program across the network... on other platforms, and on systems that don't even have a gui !!

Just give it some thought.
marcus
:ugeek:

stephj

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:38 am

To run an executable .NET program compiled and created on your PC you will need the mono runtime installed on your Pi

$ sudo apt-get install mono-runtime

If you want to compile C# programs on the Pi you will need the full installation:

$ sudo apt-get install mono-complete

To compile on the Pi use

$mcs myprog.cs

To run the executable created on your PC and then copied over to the Pi or the version created using mcs use:

$mono myprog.exe

Most programs will run, but there are one or two exceptions that will throw runtime errors. Mono on the Pi is pretty good but it's not perfect. Well not yet, anyway.

ghobad123

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am

thanks for all of the responses

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:03 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
ghobad123 wrote:I prefer to write programs with GUI, just like win32 applications written in C# which contains textbox, checkbox and so on. What IDE is suitable for me?

... I would like to encourage you to program C|C++ without an IDE. You will learn more, your skills wil be more portable, (believe it or not) your code will be cleaner and more reliable.

I learned to use vi. I use gnu tools for compilation, linking, and debugging; all on the command line. I usually have multiple terminals open (or terminal screens, or multiple tabs); but, they're all terminals !

IDEs are a crutch (in my opinion). This is not a judgment clause... its just the truth. If you learn vi, and how to program from the command line, you're free ! You can program across the network... on other platforms, and on systems that don't even have a gui !!

Not sure I agree with this.

I started, many years ago, with simple editors and command line compilation. Nowadays I much prefers IDE's. So much simpler, often with excellent tools for cross referencing code (Eclipse, Visual Studio).

So, in my opinion, IDE's are not a crutch, but a really useful development tool.

I still know how to use vi, and use the command line of course, but I much prefer graphic interfaces to most tools, especially code development.

On Pi, I'd go for Geany, with command line compilation, on more powerful desktops desktops, Visual Studio or Notepad++ or Eclipse on Windows, or Eclipse on Linux.

RIght now, using Geany and Eclipse at same time on the same machine, along with Terminator, a half decent terminal application that runs well on the Pi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

6by9

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 pm

jamesh wrote:Not sure I agree with this.

I started, many years ago, with simple editors and command line compilation. Nowadays I much prefers IDE's. So much simpler, often with excellent tools for cross referencing code (Eclipse, Visual Studio).

So, in my opinion, IDE's are not a crutch, but a really useful development tool.

I still know how to use vi, and use the command line of course, but I much prefer graphic interfaces to most tools, especially code development.

On Pi, I'd go for Geany, with command line compilation, on more powerful desktops desktops, Visual Studio or Notepad++ or Eclipse on Windows, or Eclipse on Linux.

RIght now, using Geany and Eclipse at same time on the same machine, along with Terminator, a half decent terminal application that runs well on the Pi.
Disagreements will continue!
A decent editor is a necessity, ideally with code completion and ctags.
But integrating in the compilation and debug phases locks you in to their way of thinking, and generally means you don't understand the underlying principles. Start with understanding makefiles and gdb, then possibly integrate them if you must.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

PeterO

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:28 pm

6by9 wrote: Start with understanding makefiles
Noooooooo....... cmake is the way to go (to add another angle to the (often repeated) discussion :-) )
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

6by9

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:49 pm

PeterO wrote:
6by9 wrote: Start with understanding makefiles
Noooooooo....... cmake is the way to go (to add another angle to the (often repeated) discussion :-) )
PeterO
OK, understand "the build system", be that cmake, makefiles, assembler, or magical incantations over sacrificial altars (actually that does sound like makefiles!)
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jamesh

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:55 pm

I hate makefiles.

That is all.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

6by9

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 pm

jamesh wrote:I hate makefiles.

That is all.
But you understand them, and that bit is important.

PeterO

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:11 pm

I can just about manage to write a simple makefile, but the ones produced by the likes of autotools are just incomprehensible, but then they are probably only intended to be comprehended by make itself :-)
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

kusti8

Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:12 pm

A nice IDE like Atom is a very useful tool and cam easily be customized with extensions. I've installed a simple terminal extension to compile my programs easily and run them. The IDE compile options are too complicated. The best of two worlds.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Romonga

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:38 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:

While I do agree with some of your statement, I disagree strongly with the rest.

I simply don't agree with this for hobbyists. As a professional programmer of over 30 years I came from VI and other simple text editors (EMAC, BRIEF) , drop to a CLI and compile. No thank you, them days are over for a good reason. As a matter of fact, many of these tools added enhancements to make them easier to use for development.

The excuses that a platform does not have a GUI is no reason to suffer with VI, you can build an a machine and deploy to any machine, regardless of GUI or not.

Hobbyists want to get in, get the work done, and move on to next project, not fight the development tools.
You can run, but you will only die tired.

Romonga

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:46 pm

I use QTCreator as my IDE of choice, it allows me to target multiple platforms. It is a bit heavy, but it runs well on the Pi 3.
You can run, but you will only die tired.

mwilliams03

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:37 am

[my two cents]
I have used vi and Nano for a number of years, and then about 6 months ago I moved to Geany. I hated it at first, but now I much prefer it. much easier to work with when you have a number of files and copy and past is works great with a mouse. :D

I use the X11-forwarding feature in MobaXterm to run Geany on my Windows PC. I can every copy code directly from my Windows PC into the Geany application.
Mark -- OzzMaker.com -- Creator of;
+ BerryIMU
+ Berry GPS-IMU
+BerryGPS-GSM
+ PiScreen - A 3.5" TFT for the Rasspberry Pi

yodermk

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 am

I like QtCreator also, but have never run it on a Pi.

I just wish it were easier to get the most recent version of Qt and its tools on the Pi ...

QtCreator handles CMake projects all right. I would do that for non-Qt projects, but just use qmake for Qt projects. CMake isn't particularly intuitive, but it does have good features.

And I also disagree with running without an IDE.

Return to “C/C++”