dobova86

Visual Studio for Pi development

Sun May 01, 2016 4:16 pm

May be I'm in late .. but I discovered this interesting tool from Visual Studio Gallery from Microsoft:
https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.micros ... 0fd359ae6e

This tools let you use VS2015 as an editor/debugger for linux in general ... and also for Pi. Take a look to the samples. It uses ssh to connect and compile/deploy bins to the remote Pi. Very easy to install and to use, specially to learn and experiment in c++ for Pi.

DougieLawson

Re: Visual Studio for Pi development

Sun May 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Nice find.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hdtv101

Mon May 02, 2016 12:59 am

So I am attempting to port a DOS Boreland GUI application to the Pi. This will be an embedded application on the Pi. Just plug it in and the app runs. Of course I will have to use a more modern graphics library than the old BGI but that's the idea here - to modernize the app.

It sounds like this Visual Studio solution would be a great fit? I don't need to access the OS on the Pi. I will also need RS232 via USB and TCP/IP but I assume that can be easily added?

What do you think?

karrika

Mon May 02, 2016 5:15 am

hdtv101 wrote:Of course I will have to use a more modern graphics library than the old BGI but that's the idea here - to modernize the app.
Sounds like a good idea. If the code is C/C++ then choose some toolkit that supports everything you need. I used to code in allegro. It is simple and has some nice graphics. As a matter of fact I have just ported this app to PiZero on allegro (from Windows). The allegro libs are in the jessie repository already.

I am using codeblocks for editing, compiling and debugging. It that has almost the same interface as Visual Studio. So the learning curve for codeblocks is not steep for someone fluent in Visual Studio.

pwinwood

Mon May 02, 2016 12:05 pm

In fact there are two Visual Studio extensions now.

"Visual C++ for Linux Development" that has already been mentioned. This allows you to configure the command line parameters for the (GCC) compiler and linker within Visual Studio 2015, and the older but renamed "Visual C++ for IoT Development" https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.micros ... c16cad9c01. This allows you to compile and debug any project on the Pi, but has greater setup complexity. I find "Visual C++ for IoT Development" to be excellent.

DougieLawson

Mon May 02, 2016 12:32 pm

pwinwood wrote: I find "Visual C++ for IoT Development" to be excellent.
That's for use with the Win10IoT stuff that you can boot on your RPi (that's existed since the RPi2 was launched). The new VS plugin to build & debug things on Linux using gcc is a million times more exciting.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

pwinwood

Mon May 02, 2016 3:18 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
That's for use with the Win10IoT stuff that you can boot on your RPi (that's existed since the RPi2 was launched). The new VS plugin to build & debug things on Linux using gcc is a million times more exciting.
Sorry, no it's got nothing to do with Windows 10 IoT. This plugin works with Raspbian. The plugin uses the excellent PUTTY tools to communicate with Linux.
I should know I am using it!
Why on earth do you think it is for Windows 10 IoT?
Last edited by pwinwood on Mon May 02, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dobova86

Mon May 02, 2016 3:21 pm

pwinwood wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Sorry, no it's got nothing to do with Windows 10 IoT.
Yes, they are not tied to Win Iot.
It seems that they have some similar functionality, but MS guys are pushing to this new extension. Very confusing anyway ... :?

Enderguy_58

Sat May 14, 2016 1:13 am

karrika wrote:
hdtv101 wrote:Of course I will have to use a more modern graphics library than the old BGI but that's the idea here - to modernize the app.
Sounds like a good idea. If the code is C/C++ then choose some toolkit that supports everything you need. I used to code in allegro. It is simple and has some nice graphics. As a matter of fact I have just ported this app to PiZero on allegro (from Windows). The allegro libs are in the jessie repository already.

I am using codeblocks for editing, compiling and debugging. It that has almost the same interface as Visual Studio. So the learning curve for codeblocks is not steep for someone fluent in Visual Studio.

Hi. I'm having problems debugging with codeblocks on the Pi recently. I can't see the outputs on the console terminal. What did you install on the Pi so that you can work and debug on codeblocks?

Edit: Or what special setup did you have to do? I searched everywhere for answers...

Savion

Fri May 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Does anyone know of a tutorial for this VS plugin? I create all my applications on VS2015 and would love to use that for my Raspberry Pi 3 that arrives this Saturday.

Thanks, Matt

arrow201

Mon May 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Savion wrote:Does anyone know of a tutorial for this VS plugin? I create all my applications on VS2015 and would love to use that for my Raspberry Pi 3 that arrives this Saturday.

Thanks, Matt
Maybe these links will help as a starting point:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog ... velopment/ (scroll down some for a Pi example)
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VisualCFo ... pment.aspx

Return to “C/C++”