guachinver

Re: Advices for learning Python for Raspberry?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:30 am

I am learning Python for use with Raspberry and I would like to receive advices not to lose the time studying topics badly related to Raspberry.
Is better learn Python Version 2.7 or Versions 3.x?
What GUI to choose, perhaps Tkinter? since I believe that I committed an error studying PYQT4.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:49 am

If you are learning for your own sake, then Python 2. If you are learning in order to teach, then Python 3. Since Python 3 will become the best choice within the next two years and you will be preparing people for the future.

TK is a standard component of the Python library. On the other hand I believe Qt will be standard on the RaspPi. (But maybe not PyQt).

guachinver

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Thanks a lot Rurwin for your answers.
Another doubt. Is better study TK or Tkinter?, for a simple inmersion on Python and Raspberry.

Donovan

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi, where do I find the guide for how to get started with Python?

derrickcope

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:56 pm

There is a course that teaches python on the MIT Opencourseware website. Really good! The course includes videos, texts, and assignments.

rasbeer

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:27 pm

rurwin wrote:TK is a standard component of the Python library. On the other hand I believe Qt will be standard on the RaspPi. (But maybe not PyQt).
Perhaps it'll PySide? This seems to be very similar to PyQt aside from licensing issues...
(Are there any other Python bindings for Qt?)

croston

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:50 pm

rasbeer wrote:
rurwin wrote:TK is a standard component of the Python library. On the other hand I believe Qt will be standard on the RaspPi. (But maybe not PyQt).
Perhaps it'll PySide? This seems to be very similar to PyQt aside from licensing issues...
(Are there any other Python bindings for Qt?)
Both Pyside and PyQt work on RPi and are available in Debian Wheezy. Pyside is not in squeeze (if I recall correctly). They are largely the same apart from licensing. PyQt is a much more mature library though with fewer bugs.

peterm2

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:05 pm

derrickcope wrote:There is a course that teaches python on the MIT Opencourseware website. Really good! The course includes videos, texts, and assignments.
I have been told about 'Byte of Python' available here, http://www.swaroopch.org/notes/Python and am using it to start working with Python.

PM

antiloquax

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi, I have gathered some links to tutorials I found useful on this page.
mark

KentishMan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi

First post for me - just thought I'd share my experience.

I've been working through http://learnpythonthehardway.org/ and been quite enjoying the approach. I am sure that it's not for everyone but I like and I only use a text editor - gedit. Something nice and easy and not complicated and it's free!

Also I shared code with a couple of friends via http://codepad.org which was cool.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as I am. :D

Mark
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
"Very deep," said Arthur, "you should send that in to the Reader's Digest. They've got a page for people like you."

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Return to “Python”