Rploesser

Help using sound sensor to display image on lcd

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 pm

I hope this is in the right section. If not please let me know where to post this.

I want to use the sound sensor on a RP3 to monitor the decibel level around it. And depending on what range the decibel level is in the pi will display a corresponding image on and LCD screen. Is this possible? And how would I go about doing this?

Thank you Ray
www.Helixduo.com / Twitter @HelixDuoSystems / facebook.com/Helixduo - where the DNA of old and new come together for a truly unique gaming experience

PiGraham

Re: Help using sound sensor to display image on lcd

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Rploesser wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 pm

I want to use the sound sensor on a RP3 to monitor the decibel level around it.
What sound sensor?
What do you want to display? Some sort of gauge, a number, a waveform warning light graphic?

Rploesser

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. The below link is to the sensor I'm looking at. I'd like it to read the decibel level. And for every 20 decibel range and display an animated gif.

Decibel range from 10 to 20 display 1.gif
Decibel range from 20 to 30 display 2.gif
And so on...

I'd like this to display the image on a full color LCD screen. Not an led grid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XT ... d0fe1c9c5c
www.Helixduo.com / Twitter @HelixDuoSystems / facebook.com/Helixduo - where the DNA of old and new come together for a truly unique gaming experience

PiGraham

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 pm

You will need an analog to digital converter to use those modules. the Pi has no analog inputs.
Alternatively you could use a microphone audio device such as the mic in a USB webcam or a USB mic or a USB soundcard.

If you use a standard audio input device then amixer command line can report the signal level. See -V option.

Return to “Python”