cazz

crontab does not work?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Have a little strange problem

I have a python file that write to a textfile.
I run that from a bash file (I going to have some more python files to run)
and I have run
sudo chmod +x kor.sh
so when I run it
./kor.sh
I can see it write to the textfile

but nothing happend when I trying with crontab?

I run
crontab -e
and inside it I have

Code: Select all

*/5 * * * * /home/pi/temp/kor.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
I want to run "kor.sh" every 5 minute.
But nothing happend?

What I have done wrong?
/Cazz

Curt Timmerman

Re: crontab does not work?

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Remove the output redirection and you will probably get an email indicating the problem

cazz

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 pm

have not config my raspberry to send mail.
/Cazz

Curt Timmerman

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:52 pm

cazz wrote:have not config my raspberry to send mail.
it should be sent locally to your user id.
Also cron does not read your login profile script.

Curt

cazz

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:56 pm

ohh ok, well crontab is new for me so I have no idea what to do if I get error
/Cazz

skidoobond

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm not sure, but I don't think */5 is valid time reference for cron. The first parameter is the clock minutes for the scheduled task. For example, I have a task that runs my reboot script every half hour by:
30 * * * * /home/pi/rboot.sh

rpdom

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:22 pm

skidoobond wrote:I'm not sure, but I don't think */5 is valid time reference for cron. The first parameter is the clock minutes for the scheduled task. For example, I have a task that runs my reboot script every half hour by:
30 * * * * /home/pi/rboot.sh
*/5 is perfectly valid. It means "run every 5 minutes"

30 means "run at 30 minutes past the hour", so not every half hour.

From "man 5 crontab":
Step values can be used in conjunction with ranges. Following a range with ``/<number>'' specifies skips of the number's value through the range. For example, ``0-23/2'' can be used in the hours field to specify command execution every other hour (the alternative in the V7 standard is ``0,2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22''). Steps are also permitted after an asterisk, so if you want to say ``every two hours'', just use ``*/2''.

cazz

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:38 pm

hmm where does the error log go if that is something strange with crontab?
/Cazz

jojopi

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:42 pm

cazz wrote:*/5 * * * * /home/pi/temp/kor.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
You realise that this is not the same as being in /home/pi/temp and running ./kor.sh? Cron will start the job with a working directory of /home/pi. So your shell wrapper may not find the python script, or it could be writing the file in the wrong place. In fact it is best to assume nothing about the working directory, and use an explicit cd if necessary.

If the job produces any output that is not redirected then cron will try to mail you that output. But that will fail unless you have installed an MTA. /var/log/syslog will log the fact that the job was attempted, but not much more.

skidoobond

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused by the manual on that point.

paulknewton

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Yes - my experience with working with cron jobs, is that the problem will be one of:

- permissions (do you have exec access or write access to the correct files)? In your case, it sounds like you do
- PATHs (can cron find the various programs that are used by your script)? e.g. python, but also any shell commands
- environment (does your script rely on env. variables which are set in your profile, but not when running from cron?) This could be your problem.
- exec location. Is the script being executed from the place you think it is?

Good luck!

regards,
paul.

Zong

Thu May 16, 2013 11:09 am

RE: with cron, get "No MTA installed, discarding output" in syslog.

I'm using Debian Wheezy 3.2.27.
I want to use cron on raspberry Pi to log data from a solar controller.

From the command line, I run the script VBtest2RP, which first sends the date and time to the logfile, in this case VBR130516, then telnets the controller and pipes the received data through a decoding script, the output of this being again redirected to the logfile:

~/VBStuff $ VBtest2RP >> VBR130516

which produces a logfile like this:
2013-05-16T08:00+01 39.0 32.6 37.3 25.5 0 0 1713 2350
2013-05-16T09:00+01 41.9 35.4 37.0 38.0 0 0 1714 2350

If I get cron to run the script, it writes the date/time to the logfile OK, but no telnet data, and I get the above message about "No MTA installed" in the syslog. I'm using full paths in all scripts.

After reading the posts about environment and so on, I compared the output of env > /tmp/myenv in cron and in the command line and changed various things in the crontab file, like PATH, adding MAILTO, and other things, but all with no effect.

The relevant bit of the crontab looks like this:
SHELL=/bin/sh
#MAILTO=pi
MAILTO=/var/mail/pi
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

#20130506 Raspi crontest every 3 min
#Works, but only prints date.
*/3 20-22 * * 2 /usr/local/bin/VBtest2RP >> /home/pi/VBStuff/CrontestF
I've used cron before, in a similar application running on a modified Sweex router and it's been working fine for years!

I'm not interested at this point in cron sending e-mails, I just want it to log the data! Anyone any ideas, please?
Thanks

jojopi

Thu May 16, 2013 11:29 am

Zong wrote:*/3 20-22 * * 2 /usr/local/bin/VBtest2RP >> /home/pi/VBStuff/CrontestF
Add a 2>>/home/pi/VBStuff/CrontestF.err and then check that file to see what the errors are. (Or 2>&1 to put the errors in the same file as the output.)

Once you redirect both stdout and stderr there will be nothing left over to email and cron will stop complaining about the MTA.

Zong

Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for quick reply.
Aha! Now I can see the error: "connection closed by foreign host". Which is strange: I wonder why it works from the command line and not from cron? The scripts involved, in /usr/local/bin, all have full execute permissions... and telnet itself seems to, as far as I can see, [but I don't know anything about links]:

pi@raspberrypi /etc/alternatives $ ls -l telnet
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 May 6 10:24 telnet -> /usr/bin/telnet.netkit

pi@raspberrypi /usr/bin $ ls -l telnet*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 May 6 10:24 telnet -> /etc/alternatives/telnet
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 72180 Apr 15 2012 telnet.netkit

So, I can't see any "permissions" reason for this error... probably something obvious that I've missed.

jojopi

Thu May 16, 2013 2:47 pm

Unless you are piping something into telnet, it will inherit its standard input stream from the parent shell. From the command line that will be your controlling terminal, but cron attaches /dev/null as stdin.

Reading from /dev/null returns no bytes, without waiting, which is an end of file indication. This prevents any interactive processes included in cron jobs from sitting around waiting for input that is not going to come. But telnet will report the end of file to the remote host, which may close the connection immediately.

So, you might need something like "sleep 60 | telnet host …". The sleep produces no output, but there is no end of file condition until it times out and exits.

Zong

Fri May 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Jojopi,

I tried your suggestion and... YIPPEE! it works! I never would have thought of that.

Thanks for a very clear explanation :D

cfreyberg

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:43 am

Going back to the original question:-

There seems to be a difference in the redirection capabilities of (raspian) cron and bash. For example, the (pi) crontab entry:

*/10 * * * * ls -l > ./Ten.log 
creates (and recreates every 10 minutes) the expected file Ten.log containing a listing of pi's home directory. However

*/10 * * * * ls -l &> ./Ten.log 
creates (and recreates every 10 minutes) an empty file Ten.log.

Why is this?

Chris F

rpdom

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:10 am

cfreyberg wrote:

*/10 * * * * ls -l &> ./Ten.log 
creates (and recreates every 10 minutes) an empty file Ten.log.

Why is this?
I think the "&>" is a bash short-hand for "2>&1 >" and as cron entries are run using /bin/sh, it won't support that.

cfreyberg

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks, rpdom.

I've been digging around and this is what I've found.

1. According to the POSIX documentation, cron starts crontab tasks in an environment that uses/includes the default ('system') shell /bin/sh. But in raspbian (debian too?) /bin/sh just references /bin/dash - type man sh and you get the dash pages. So commands put in a crontab start in dash.

2. Sure enough, according to man dash, dash does not recognise the (bash) redirection operators &> and &>>. So what did dash make of the &> in 'ls -l &> ./Ten.log'? Like bash, dash recognises a 'control' operator & that puts execution the part of the command line that preceded the & into the background. So I think dash read

ls -l &> ./Ten.log
as

ls -l & > ./Ten.log
and started ls -l, put that process into the background without redirection, then processed the redirection (which created the empty log file).

3. The raspbian documentation I traversed is, in places, incorrect and seemingly inconsistent. For example, man dash ( and man sh) says
dash is the standard command interpreter for the system. […]

Overview
The shell is a command that reads lines from either a file or the terminal, interprets them, and generally executes other commands. It is the program that is running when a user logs into the system (although a user can select a different shell with the chsh(1) command). […]
However, by default in raspbian (and debian?) an interactive user logs in and gets bash, not dash.

And I could not find anything in (raspbian) man cron or man crontab that specifies what shell tasks are started in. I needed to go to the POSIX documentation for that.

4. It seems that dash was created because bash was considered too big and too slow, especially at boot time. I can sort-of follow the logic that then led to dash being installed as the default or 'system' shell. But then someone reverted? the default interactive shell to bash, presumably because bash was somehow better for interactive users, without changing the man pages for dash.

Like many a new user of raspbian, I guess, I expected that by default a command line I made up would have the same effect entered interactively or run from my own 'script' (I regard my crontab entry as a 'script'). It seems such a natural thing to do is to try a command line out then put it in a script. At the very least, the little introduction that gets inserted into every new user crontab 'script' by crontab -e should include a warning that crontab tasks may/probably will not be started using the same shell that the user is currently logged-in to. That would have saved me a heap of time!

(Ideally in addition man crontab should contain more comprehensive information about the task starting environment and man sh should not be incorrect as to dash being the shell that a user logs in to.)

Chris F

jojopi

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:55 am

cfreyberg wrote:And I could not find anything in (raspbian) man cron or man crontab that specifies what shell tasks are started in. I needed to go to the POSIX documentation for that.
You should look at "man 5 crontab".

rpdom

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 am

The dash shell is similar, but not identical to bash. There are, as you have found, a few differences.

dash is a bit faster than bash, as it is smaller, has less features and depends on fewer library files, that is why it is used for cron.

cfreyberg

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:06 am

@ jojopi
Thanks. Yes, that would have done nicely.

And, as a new unix/linux/raspbian user, I've learned an essential lesson about system documentation conventions.

Thanks once again to you both for your help.

Chris F

arntgur

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Just wrap your cron command this way:
/bin/bash -c ' <your command here...> '
There has got to be a better way to specify bash on the cron file level once and not force wraping all commands with it on every cron line. But simply adding
!#/bin/bash
didn't work for me and I have not tried:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
Other users reported that
SHELL=/bin/bash
didn't work either.

Paeryn

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:27 pm

arntgur wrote:There has got to be a better way to specify bash on the cron file level once and not force wraping all commands with it on every cron line. But simply adding

!#/bin/bash
didn't work for me and I have not tried:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
Other users reported that

SHELL=/bin/bash
didn't work either.
Putting a shebang line in the crontab won't have any effect.

Putting

SHELL=/bin/bash
at the top of your crontab definitely works. In fact you can change the SHELL variable between job lines to have jobs running under different shells if you so wish.
She who travels light — forgot something.

rpiuser2016

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 pm

crontab -e
*/15 * * * * python /home/pi/DHT22-TemperatureLogger/DHT22logger.py
-----
does not start automatically after reboot pi2b

Return to “General programming discussion”