Sheebus

Setting goals for programming

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm trying to decide what to learn.

I want to run dedicated servers eventually. My idea was to learn C and C++ as both (I read) are good for furthering one's self in being a programmer. There are few games that I know of that are in my scope of running as a server, so I figure java would be the next step but I feel like this is a LOT of work in general. Should I just concentrate on C and C++?

What say you?

Heater

Re: Setting goals for programming

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:12 pm

If you want a boring career maintaining/building business applications and such learn Java. It's not really of any use for anything else, especially games.

If you have some proficiency at C/C++ and want to have some fun learn Rust https://www.rust-lang.org/

To gain an appreciation of programming and widen your view of how things can be done you need to get familiar with some widely different languages. For example I suggest: Assembler, C, Javascript, Rust, Forth, Scheme, Haskell. Even if they are not what you end up using practically they offer very different views of what programming is and styles of doing it, which is helpful no matter what language you end up using.

The boring answer is: Choose the language for the task.

So then that comes down to what is it you want to do exactly? Where is your passion?

In short, the goal for programming should be programming. The language can be almost incidental.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Sheebus

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 pm

I'm trying to make the jump from gamer to programmer. That's the short version. I like the idea of running servers and possibly either heavily modded games or making one of my own but I don't know if that's what I want to do. I'm still in that stage where "I want to do everything" because why not. I've always had a desire to run and protect my own dedicated server. I don't want to sell space or anything, I just like the idea of defending home base. I've used SQL to run a private MMO server but I'm so confused by the amount of available languages now I don't know where to go. Using SQL was tough for me though, it was all done on CentOS. I'm not proficient with the terminal.

B.Goode

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 pm

Sheebus wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 pm
I'm trying to make the jump from gamer to programmer. That's the short version. I like the idea of running servers

and
I want to run dedicated servers eventually.

'Running servers' - unless you are going to create those servers from a blank sheet - doesn't involve what many people would regard as 'programming'. Systems Management, or Systems Administration maybe.

Sheebus

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:39 pm

I'm sort of aware of the latter. I've been a gamer and a hobbyist for a long time, but, I want something more focused and I've no idea where to go but to programming. I don't really want to be a pen tester or anything, but I like the idea of System Administration. I work well with my hands, but I don't want to just learn things to diagnose computers and turn a wrench either. I'd like to be active and grow something.

Imperf3kt

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:45 pm

Start simple, why not create a simple game with python or some other language and expand from there.

The skills you learn will transfer over to other programming related tasks and you'll have fun along the way.

You never know, once you get started you may see things you hadn't considered and change your desired path.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Sheebus

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:48 pm

I just wanted to start in something that was closer to where I think I want to be near end game I guess. I'm very afraid of failure in that respect. "What if I spent time doing X, and it didn't turn out the way I wanted?" Etc.

EDIT: What languages are geared toward administration positions?

timrowledge

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:33 am

Learn some C because it is basically a more-or-less-portable assembler.
Learn some Lisp to see the power of Lambdas.
(Try to)Learn some Prolog to see what happens when lunacy happens in software.
Learn some Smalltalk to understand why java is such a terrible thing.
By this point you will have gained enough knowledge to make up your own mind.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

Return to “General programming discussion”