jumpman95

How to auto-detect a song currently playing in a room?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:53 am

Hey there, I am an absolute noob, but I'm very willing and happy to take time to learn.

I bought a raspberry pi 3b+ and have installed raspbian with desktop on it. (Though I wouldn't be opposed to changing the os if that would make this project easier/work better. The pi would just be responsible for running one program on it anyway.)

I was hoping to run a program on my pi to automatically detect what song is being played in a room using a mic. Once it detected what song was playing, it would search online for the album's cover art, and display it along with the artist name, song name, album name, and maybe even the initial year it was released.

I have tried my best to make use of the information already out there. I know there are solutions like Gracenote, Echonest, Echoprint, AcrCloud, and probably others. I have installed files of both the Echonest and AcrCloud githubs, but frankly, I do not know what I am doing.
Plus, from my understanding, both Echonest and AcrCloud require you to create your own personal database of song recordings before it will recognize any music. What I am looking for would act more like Shazam, where it uses it's own massive database of songs to identify what it is listening to through the mic.

I know this may involve a lot of messing with code and using the command line, but I am willing to do all of that, and lean on the experience of others if any are willing to help. Thank you RPI Forums! I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can to eventually give back to the community!

scotty101

Re: How to auto-detect a song currently playing in a room?

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 pm

The Google AIY kit might be a good start. I think it already supports "What is this song?" type questions.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

jumpman95

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 pm

Hey thanks, I didn't know about the Google AIY kit. I'll look into it, thanks.

stoli_man

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi - I'm a fellow noob.

I'm looking to do this exact project! Have you made any progress with it? I think it would be really cool when streaming from Spotify to my Chromecast Audio to have the album artwork auto-populate on a raspberry pi.

Look forward to hearing any updates!

Return to “General programming discussion”