eddyeddy

Is it possible to connect pi3 with sensors and send the data to dashboards (charts, gauge etc.)?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:20 pm

I have found different free dashboards that are available online. What do I have to know if I want to connect pi3 (with different sensors) and display data on the dashboard? How do I do that, since those templates aren't much explaining?

pcmanbob

Re: Is it possible to connect pi3 with sensors and send the data to dashboards (charts, gauge etc.)?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Since you have not told us which sensors or anything about the dash boards you wish to use we know even less than you do about what you want to do, so I doubt there will much help forthcoming.

Remember we are not mind readers nor do we have crystal balls, we can only provide help basted on the information you supply.. :? :?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

eddyeddy

Re: Is it possible to connect pi3 with sensors and send the data to dashboards (charts, gauge etc.)?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm

I am sorry, should know this before posting.

I will start with simple sensors such as temperature, humidity and light sensor.

I will most likely use Python to connect sensors with Pi3. I have done in the past some temperature readings but all results were based in the putty.

I also used node-red for user interface but decided that is limited in terms of look etc.

My question is, how can I send live data to dashboards? Is there a need for another programming language? Maybe I don't have to use Python but something else?

If someone could give me keywords/direction I will look and research.

Dashboard example from first search - https://ubidots.com/blog/iot-dashboards/

eddyeddy

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi!

I already tried node-red :)

PhatFil

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:46 pm

eddyeddy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:54 pm
Hi!

I already tried node-red :)
What was the problem with it??

It can take a bit of time and head scratching to shift your perspective from one of execution flow as in traditional programming to that of Data Flow which Node red exploits. My own learning experience started with large complex node red flows with lots of function nodes .. Once the epic was complete(ish) i was able to take that mental step back and have a 'Hang on' moment of clarity ;)

Not everything, but quit a bit started to fall into place and i now have a collection of simple flows stimulated by mqtt subscriptions resulting mainly in mqtt publications which in turn stimulate further flows where needed..

While i am far from expert having had more than a couple of helpful friendly pointers I am happy to share the lurve 8-)

Andyroo

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:18 pm

If you are only using a few sensors and low data rates then have a look at io.adafruit as the dashboard.

They have sample programs that demo the interfacing as well as a bonus :)
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Cancelor

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:06 am

Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

bensimmo

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:38 am

Have a search on 'EnviroPhat dashboard'

The Pimoroni EnviroPHAT has the sensors you mention and there are plenty of tutorial with it and dashboard.
It should give you a start.

Return to “General programming discussion”