ibrahimansari

Best code editor for ye HTML, CSS and JavaScript

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm

So I couldn't get Atom to compile on the Raspberry Pi, and I'd like to know what's the best code editor for HTML, CSS and JavaScript (es6 and React support very appreciated) and get started with some great web development on the pi ;) because I can't get my hands on one rn.
I is the master of Linux, Windows and the computer realms.
But always with a Pi(e). ;)

Heater

Re: Best code editor for ye HTML, CSS and JavaScript

Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is my tool of choice for JS, ES6, React development. It can be built and run on the PI. Google it. I have never tried it on the PI myself though.

stderr

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:04 pm

ibrahimansari wrote: the best code editor for HTML, CSS and JavaScript (es6 and React support very appreciated) and get started with some great web development on the pi ;) because I can't get my hands on one rn.
You should be able to get something like IntelliJ IDEA to run on the pi. If you've got several pies, it would be best though to consider running one for the display and the others ssh -X for the various programs you are using, e.g. one for the editor and another for firefox. Firefox is especially bloated if you start opening up a lot of tabs, which nevertheless is very useful when trying to figure out some intractable blocker in the program you are trying to puzzle through, err, write.

r3d4

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:37 pm

nano :twisted:
see also : ye old war of editors... viewtopic.php?t=158558

but realy anything with syntax highlighting is.gd

Heater

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 pm

Anything with syntax highlighting is good.

I often use vim for this reason. Simplest,quickest and best, especially when you are logged in to some remote machine and hacking something.

However, for serious development it's nice to have a linter check over your code as you type and highlight errors. It has to understand the latest ES 2015 Javascript standard, it has to understand JSX.

It's nice to have git integration. And so on.

Philosophically JS developers would rather not use anything that depends on Java.

I could be wrong but I suspect EMACS and Vim and all the others do not come close to doing what Atom, Sublime and VS Code do.

DavidS

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:22 pm

I am not familiar with most of those listed so far (except vim), though setedit is good on Linux, DOS, and Windows, and on RISC OS !StrongED is quite good.

So take your pick. There are many many out there each with there pros and cons. What some like others do not.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

Heater

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:37 pm

Except that none of those can actually do what the opening poster was asking for.

ewaller

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Heater wrote:I could be wrong but I suspect EMACS and Vim and all the others do not come close to doing what Atom, Sublime and VS Code do.
You would be surprised. In all seriousness, they both have syntax highlighting, code completion (including introspection), integration with version control tools, integration with debuggers, and much more. They are also both extremely well supported by the *nix and communities. And they are free (as in no cost and as in freedom)

jahboater

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:36 pm

Heater wrote: I could be wrong but I suspect EMACS and Vim and all the others do not come close to doing what Atom, Sublime and VS Code do.
Emacs probably can, and more. If not, write a few lines of lisp and it will :?

DavidS

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:20 am

Heater wrote:Except that none of those can actually do what the opening poster was asking for.
Yes SetEdit can, and so can !StrongED, both support syntax highlighting for both HTML and Java Script.

If on Raspbian (or other Linux) compile SetEdit, if on RISC OS use !StrongED.

If you prefer something different use something different.

As both languages asked about are stored as text as edited, with no compile stage involved all that an IDE can realy provide is syntax highlighting, so any good syntax highlighting editor is the closest to an IDE.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

Heater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:45 am

I would not be surprised at all. I know that both Emacs and Vim are Turing complete programming environments. They can do anything.

How about Vim with a GUI: http://cream.sourceforge.net/features.html Very nice.

I would be surprised to find that anyone has taken the trouble program them to do what Atom or VS Code does. I would be very surprised if the end result was anything like as quick an easy to install, configure and use Atom or VS Code.

Note that both Atom and VS Code are free and open source. Cross-platform to boot.

I just discovered an interesting thing. In the Emacs FAQ there is the question "Why support GNU Emacs on Windows?". The answer includes the statement:

"We hope that the experience of using GNU Emacs on Windows will give programmers a taste of freedom, and that this will later inspire them to move to a free operating system such as GNU/Linux."

Ironically programmers can now get exactly that taste of freedom from the experience of using VS Code. Made my Microsoft itself!

Nobody has ever heard of SetEdit or !StrongED so I won't comment in those.

There is certainly more to what Atom and VS Code does than just syntax highlighting.

jahboater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am

Heater wrote:I would not be surprised at all. I know that both Emacs and Vim are Turing complete programming environments. They can do anything.
Emacs is programmed by the user in Lisp. Once you get used to all the brackets, its very easy and quick to extend the editor in ways that would be impossible with any other editor (that I know of). Vi is not extensible in the way that emacs is.

Think of emacs as an IDE.
I would be surprised to find that anyone has taken the trouble program them to do what Atom or VS Code does.

There is certainly more to what Atom and VS Code does than just syntax highlighting.
I think you would be surprised, emacs is immensely powerful. Its been around, and been extended by programmers, for over 40 years.

It is well known problem with emacs that programmers can end up spending all their time tinkering with the editor and not doing any work!

ibrahimansari

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:27 am

stderr wrote:
ibrahimansari wrote: the best code editor for HTML, CSS and JavaScript (es6 and React support very appreciated) and get started with some great web development on the pi ;) because I can't get my hands on one rn.
You should be able to get something like IntelliJ IDEA to run on the pi. If you've got several pies, it would be best though to consider running one for the display and the others ssh -X for the various programs you are using, e.g. one for the editor and another for firefox. Firefox is especially bloated if you start opening up a lot of tabs, which nevertheless is very useful when trying to figure out some intractable blocker in the program you are trying to puzzle through, err, write.
I find IDEs on the Raspberry Pi very sluggish and I have had prior experience with PyCharm on the Pi and it works.. but something lightweight like a code editor will work much better for me.
r3d4 wrote:nano :twisted:
see also : ye old war of editors... viewtopic.php?t=158558

but realy anything with syntax highlighting is.gd
Yes, nano works fine but it leaves many features to be desired.
Heater wrote:Anything with syntax highlighting is good.

I often use vim for this reason. Simplest,quickest and best, especially when you are logged in to some remote machine and hacking something.

However, for serious development it's nice to have a linter check over your code as you type and highlight errors. It has to understand the latest ES 2015 Javascript standard, it has to understand JSX.

It's nice to have git integration. And so on.

Philosophically JS developers would rather not use anything that depends on Java.

I could be wrong but I suspect EMACS and Vim and all the others do not come close to doing what Atom, Sublime and VS Code do.
This. Exactly this.
DavidS wrote:I am not familiar with most of those listed so far (except vim), though setedit is good on Linux, DOS, and Windows, and on RISC OS !StrongED is quite good.

So take your pick. There are many many out there each with there pros and cons. What some like others do not.
Seems good, not bad. I'll need to check it out myself.
DavidS wrote:
Heater wrote:Except that none of those can actually do what the opening poster was asking for.
Yes SetEdit can, and so can !StrongED, both support syntax highlighting for both HTML and Java Script.

If on Raspbian (or other Linux) compile SetEdit, if on RISC OS use !StrongED.

If you prefer something different use something different.

As both languages asked about are stored as text as edited, with no compile stage involved all that an IDE can realy provide is syntax highlighting, so any good syntax highlighting editor is the closest to an IDE.
.. first of all, we were talking about code editors, not IDEs, watch the phrasing :ugeek: and second, that last part is just wrong. Syntax highlighting is not the only thing any code editor provides. Autocomplete, type checking (TypeScript >.>), error checking and a lot more features exist in my go-to editor, Atom, and also VSCode (another good one) and Sublime, which help streamline web programming A LOT TBH. So ANY syntax highlighting editor is not the same as a code editor, because I've tried nano and then Atom and it's not the same.
Heater wrote:I would not be surprised at all. I know that both Emacs and Vim are Turing complete programming environments. They can do anything.

How about Vim with a GUI: http://cream.sourceforge.net/features.html Very nice.

I would be surprised to find that anyone has taken the trouble program them to do what Atom or VS Code does. I would be very surprised if the end result was anything like as quick an easy to install, configure and use Atom or VS Code.

Note that both Atom and VS Code are free and open source. Cross-platform to boot.

I just discovered an interesting thing. In the Emacs FAQ there is the question "Why support GNU Emacs on Windows?". The answer includes the statement:

"We hope that the experience of using GNU Emacs on Windows will give programmers a taste of freedom, and that this will later inspire them to move to a free operating system such as GNU/Linux."

Ironically programmers can now get exactly that taste of freedom from the experience of using VS Code. Made my Microsoft itself!

Nobody has ever heard of SetEdit or !StrongED so I won't comment in those.

I entirely agree with this. Perfect explanation. :ugeek: so right.
jahboater wrote:
Emacs is programmed by the user in Lisp. Once you get used to all the brackets, its very easy and quick to extend the editor in ways that would be impossible with any other editor (that I know of). Vi is not extensible in the way that emacs is.

Think of emacs as an IDE.
I would be surprised to find that anyone has taken the trouble program them to do what Atom or VS Code does.

I think you would be surprised, emacs is immensely powerful. Its been around, and been extended by programmers, for over 40 years.

It is well known problem with emacs that programmers can end up spending all their time tinkering with the editor and not doing any work!
Except we need to get our work done :lol: plus the 1st part is to an extent, invalid when it comes to our dear Atom and VSCode. You can easily extend Atom with addons and extensions built in CoffeeScript, and you can do something very similar with Visual Studio Code, but yes, Emacs is a great programming environment to work with.
Heater wrote:Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is my tool of choice for JS, ES6, React development. It can be built and run on the PI. Google it. I have never tried it on the PI myself though.
Life saver :roll: I found this http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BuildingV ... ryPi3.aspx and I'm going to do this, I've like Visual Studio Code and used to use it until I began playing with Atom and customizing it but yes, VSCode is perfect still.

All this discussion makes my head ache, go to sleep, wake up, and so much discussion (lel xD) but I've made some early conclusions from all this, and taking my requirements in mind, I've been able to make out this.
1) I'm going to try compiling Visual Studio Code and see if it works :3
2) I'll try and check out setedit, Emacs (I've worked with it before but not much) and vim.
3) I'm probably going to like Visual Studio Code if it works fast, if it doesn't, I'll resort to the solution in point 2, but if that doesn't work out for me either, well, I'll try compiling Atom again, I gave up compiling it 4-5 months ago, I don't know if apm now uses npm v4 and if itr does, then yay.
These are just preliminary conclusions, but definitely better than yesterday, when I had no other option that to keep using Leafpad xD

r3d4

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:16 pm

another thing you could try is scite ! ( SCIntilla based Text Editor )

perhaps i should have a go at geting Atom to compile on Pi :roll:
ibrahimansari wrote:So I couldn't get Atom to compile on the Raspberry Pi,
what error stopped the compile ?
;)

ibrahimansari

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 pm

r3d4 wrote:another thing you could try is scite ! ( SCIntilla based Text Editor )

perhaps i should have a go at geting Atom to compile on Pi :roll:
ibrahimansari wrote:So I couldn't get Atom to compile on the Raspberry Pi,
what error stopped the compile ?
;)
I've tried scite, it's not bad and I did use it for a decent amount of time but I decided to upgrade and get a full featured code editor, scite left a little to be desired and I began to move over to my laptop instead, which is big, clunky, and not very fun :P

Eh, back then there was only node.js 0.10 and all, and apm used node.js 0.10, I read a couple of snippets and tried to make apm use io.js but it wouldn't work.. also, node.js 4 wasn't there yet back then and I have no idea if it'll work or if it uses v4 right now.

Heater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:53 pm

jahboater,

I'm still not surprised. We all know about Emacs and it's Lisp. Lisp is a wonderful thing. I was babtised into the Church of Emacs by Saint IGNUcius Richard Stallman himself during a congregational meeting here many years ago.
https://stallman.org/saint.html

However...

In decades of being in and around software construction I have never met a programmer who would choose to do anything in Lisp.

In that time I have met exactly one programmer that had a really good try at using Emacs. He gave up that idea recently.

Things like Atom and VS Code are programmable in Javascript. JS can do anything Lisp can do. It's a lot more sophisticated language than many imagine.

Millions of JS programmers would rather tinker with the programming of their editor in JS than have to think about some other obscure language.

Personally I would rather not tinker with and editor/IDE at all. I want to tinker with my project. I want to use a hammer, not make one. Others are better at making hammers than me.

Vim is great when you need to log in to some remote server and hack on something. At which point Emacs is too much. Meanwhile in the comfort of my own PC why not make life easy?

Heater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:57 pm

ibrahimansari,

I have never tried Atom or VS Code on a Pi. Normally I don't have a display on my Pi. I always imagined they might be a bit slow.

Last time I checked there was an issue on Github about not being able to build Atom on the Pi. I forget the reason now. But a month ago the issue was still open. Sorry you will have to google it if your really want to know.

jahboater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Heater wrote:In decades of being in and around software construction I have never met a programmer who would choose to do anything in Lisp.

In that time I have met exactly one programmer that had a really good try at using Emacs. He gave up that idea recently.
I learnt a some Lisp in CS at uni about 40 years ago. Never used it or even thought about it for years. Then I joined a team where emacs was mandated. It was used to support the coding standards, automatic documentation, and so on.
Being interested in editors I had a go at programming emacs in Lisp and found it wasn't as bad as I remembered it!
Personally I would rather not tinker with and editor/IDE at all. I want to tinker with my project. I want to use a hammer, not make one. Others are better at making hammers than me.
Actually I agree and I have been meaning to comment to that effect in some of the discussions with DavidS. Unless your project actually is the editor, or some other tool or library, then you of course you just want to use them. No way is it worth making the hammer.
Vim is great when you need to log in to some remote server and hack on something. At which point Emacs is too much. Meanwhile in the comfort of my own PC why not make life easy?
The problem I have with emacs is that you are expected to start it up and stay working within it all day. So it provides all manner of non-editor facilities. I prefer smaller, lighter, editors that start instantly, and go in and out for each edit. Emacs is huge and takes over two seconds to start, probably more on the Pi :-(

Heater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:12 pm

Everyone should learn Lisp.

It's a whole other way of thinking about what a program is.

Best of all it seems to be a minimal way to design a sort of human readable programming language that can be used to write a compiler for itself.

ban6

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:43 pm

I am using Visual Studio Code too. But a lot of people prefer Sublime Text.
Last edited by ban6 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Sublime is great. We even paid up for a licence for it.

It fell into disuse when Atom came along.

Atom fell into disuse when VS Code came along.

Is there even a Sublime that runs on the Pi?

Meanwhile, there is always Vim :)

ibrahimansari

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 am

Heater wrote:ibrahimansari,

I have never tried Atom or VS Code on a Pi. Normally I don't have a display on my Pi. I always imagined they might be a bit slow.

Last time I checked there was an issue on Github about not being able to build Atom on the Pi. I forget the reason now. But a month ago the issue was still open. Sorry you will have to google it if your really want to know.
np, I'm going to check it out myself anyway in person once this stupid Pi 1 starts, man I need my Pi 2 rn :?

learnweb

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:06 pm

ibrahimansari wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:27 pm
So I couldn't get Atom to compile on the Raspberry Pi, and I'd like to know what's the best code editor for HTML, CSS and JavaScript (es6 and React support very appreciated) and get started with some great web development on the pi ;) because I can't get my hands on one rn.

I use Netbeans, since it works well with many other languages I use too, and has nice code completion for all of them.
Notepad++ is good too and I use that frequently for editing stuff on the website for work.
A more fully functional editor like Netbeans is definitely the way to go though if you're making a sophisticated web app.

ibrahimansari

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 pm

This topic is ol' man..
Anyways I got Atom to compile with newer versions because they updated Electron.
So that works. VSCode works too.

Netbeans works on the Pi? :O

I wouldn't mind, text editors are a lot more efficient for even large scale projects. VSCode is really great for that. And Atom too, if you know what to tweak. That's why I never bothered with WebStorm cause text editors are IMO the best for anything, CLI or GUI, when it comes to web development.

Return to “General programming discussion”