Dinoman

Pi HDMI to MY PC 15 Pin plug ??

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi I have connected my Pi HDMI to my PC old Flat Screen TFT type I think as I read on here somewhere that you could connect an old VGA if you got the right cable so I got one for my TFT but all I get is the floating "No Signal" so is it that it just will not work, and as I do not have a HD Tv what can I do, any help appreciated, Regards DM

SiriusHardware

Re: Pi HDMI to MY PC 15 Pin plug ??

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 pm

One of the quirks of the Pi are that it has two alternative video outputs: One is stone-age, (composite video) and the other new-age (HDMI) . The missing interface (as you have found) is the one for 15-pin PC/Analogue monitors.

Personally I think this would have been the best video/monitor interface of all - is there anyone who doesn't know where there is a spare computer monitor - probably a CRT type - lying around looking for something to do? Most are perfectly functional and yet are dodging landfill sites, and HDMI equipped monitors and TVs are still not cheap, typically more than 80GBP.

Given advances in miniaturisation I thought it might not be impossible for there to be such a thing as a genuinely functional HDMI-VGA translator lead - but it seems the cables which do exist rely on the ability of the computer's HDMI output to generate the necessary signals on some of their pins. I'm assuming the Pi isn't suitably equipped, so a simple cable with the right plugs on each end will not do it, sorry.

There are genuine HDMI to VGA converter 'boxes' around which take the HDMI signal in and generate a VGA signal output from that, but they typically cost as least as much as a Raspberry Pi.

Your only alternative seems to be to use the standard definition 'composite video' output and run that into the yellow colour coded socket on the 'AV In' input of your TV. Use a coaxial lead with RCA (male) plugs - sometimes called 'Phono' plugs - on each end. Or use the relevant part of a standard triple 'AV' cable which typically has red, white and yellow male RCA plugs at each end.

Dinoman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply and going into such detail, so looking at my old TV it has what looks like it was yellow Female RCA jack " called Vidio 3" is this the one you are talking about ? so all I need is to get a Coaxial Cable wit 2 Male RCA Yellow Plugs and away I go ?, cant wait, so again Thanks, Regards DM

Daverj

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:00 pm

That is correct. Typically TVs and monitors have a yellow RCA jack for their composite video in (red and white jacks are usually for audio left and right in). RCA cables intended for video signals also typically have yellow RCA plugs on both ends. You often got one supplied with a VCR or older camcorder.

It is possible to use a regular audio RCA cable for composite video too, though it should be a short one and it may soften the video signal slightly because it uses a different type of coax cable. But in a pinch it can be used. The yellow ones are better for video.

SiriusHardware

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Dinoman wrote:Hi, Thank you so much for your reply and going into such detail, so looking at my old TV it has what looks like it was yellow Female RCA jack " called Vidio 3" is this the one you are talking about ? so all I need is to get a Coaxial Cable wit 2 Male RCA Yellow Plugs and away I go ?, cant wait, so again Thanks, Regards DM
Yes, as Daverj confirmed - ideally, use a purpose made coaxial lead with yellow coded RCA plugs on each end, or the yellow coded portion of a triple AV lead which also has leads with white and red plugs on each end as well (if you use a triple lead just tie the red and white plugs back out of the way and don't use them).

One end plugged into your Pi, one into the yellow coded female socket on your 'Video 3' input on your TV - then use the 'INPUT SELECT' or 'AV' button on your TV remote to select video input 3 - if you then power up your Pi you should hopefully see something happening on the screen.

Return to “General programming discussion”