prothan

Raspberry pi programming

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:23 am

Hello,

On an arduino, i create a program on a windows ide, then flash(via usb) and run the program. I want to do this same procedure on a raspbery pi. At the same time i want to be able to leverage the linux op sys, for usb drivers etc. Based on what i have read, python looks to be the language of choice, so i
would like to use that. Is there a raspberry pi product setup to do this? Is there a windows ide setup to do this? If neither, what is the closest setup to this? I want to minimize the amount of time that i have to access the pi directly, creating starrtup scripts etc.

Thanks

r3d4

Re: Raspberry pi programming

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:03 am

My guess is you need to look up [0]ssh

Or search along the lines of "ssh from windows to linux".

[0] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH

I want to minimize the amount of time that i have to access the pi directly, creating starrtup scripts etc.
You can use the pi however you like , what ever you choose my advice is : TRY using windows LESS and learing to use linux MORE .
Because i think that is sort of the point*

* might be missing something and could be wrong! .

ghans

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:34 am

The full version of PyCharm supports remote debugging
and deployment. Don't forget that you always need a networked
connection between Pi and PC for this development style.

Note that devloping with GPIO libraries or for the Pi camera
without remotely accessing a real Pi might be flat-out
impossible.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:23 am

My style of programming is almost what you want.

I use one ssh window and my editor. My editor has a plugin that allows me to edit files on the Pi using SCP/SFTP.
http://www.jedit.org/

The only thing you are asking for other than that is the startup script. You should be able to arrange something that will run the program you need without diving into the startup scripts every time. Although once you've done it a time or two it wouldn't be more than a moment's work to hack the startup script and you only need to do it once for each project.
The instructions are here: Loading a Python File During Boot

What you don't want to do is to have your program take over the whole OS, because then you can't program it any more and you lose the advantage of having an OS, which is the RaspPis major strength over the Arduino.

jahboater

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Rasbian (linux) provides a very powerful software development environment in its own right. The common languages such as Python and C/C++ are provided as standard. Nothing need be installed. Its not like Windows. You do not need any of this:-
On an arduino, i create a program on a windows ide, then flash(via usb) and run the program. I want to do this same procedure on a raspbery pi. At the same time i want to be able to leverage the linux op sys, for usb drivers etc. Based on what i have read, python looks to be the language of choice, so I would like to use that. Is there a raspberry pi product setup to do this?
Because Python is included in Rasbian, there is no need for any "product setup". Just login to the Pi (on a connected monitor or via ssh (Putty on Windows)) and type "python". There are IDE's such as IDLE or geany available ("sudo apt-get install geany" is all that's needed). There should be no setup scripts required just to run Python programs.

Return to “General programming discussion”