siriusf

Web application with the Raspberry Pi

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello everybody, I want to make an application for a Raspberry pi running linux connected to a magnetic card reader and a touchscreen, the Raspberry Pi will be connected to the internet. When a user passes his card trough the reader the code in the card is sent to a remote server which finds information related to the user in a database (text and pictures) and then sends this information back to the Raspberry pi to be shown.

What are the best programming languages and libraries to develop this application in the Raspberry pi and in the server without using a web browser? Do you know of any open source software that do what I ask?

jwenting

Re: Web application with the Raspberry Pi

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:51 am

I'd use Java or Groovy, but then I've been using Java professionally for 18+ years.
Spring Boot can quickly make web applications with little coding, might be worth looking at.

For communicating with your external service, you'd have to check what they expect. Java does offer libraries to facilitate just about any protocol that's in common use (and allows you to of course implement anything else yourself).

topguy

Re: Web application with the Raspberry Pi

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:58 am

siriusf wrote: What are the best programming languages and libraries to develop this application in the Raspberry pi and in the server without using a web browser? Do you know of any open source software that do what I ask?
The best programming language is usually the one you already know. So which ones do you have some experience with ?
( Or which ones would you like to learn ? )

Python seems like a good alternative, you have PyGame (or tkinter) that can create the userinterface you are looking for and probably many libraries that can help you with the communication with the remote server. You can also create the server with Python.

Return to “General programming discussion”