Doctorwho8

Is there a physical limit on card size?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Hello!
Is there a size limit on card sizes for the Pi B device? I am looking at applying the one I have here for participating in something rather outrageous for the community, it would involve running an emulator called Hercules who runs the different operating systems that IBM wrote for the S/360 and S/370 and practically all of the S/390 ones. :mrgreen:

Ordinarily I would setup a 32G card, but I'm planning on tracking down a 64G card if they exist or even a 128G card for this activity. :!:
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

DougieLawson

Re: Is there a physical limit on card size?

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Half a terabyte for £800 is available and should work.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

asandford

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Doctorwho8 wrote:Hello!
Is there a size limit on card sizes for the Pi B device? I am looking at applying the one I have here for participating in something rather outrageous for the community, it would involve running an emulator called Hercules who runs the different operating systems that IBM wrote for the S/360 and S/370 and practically all of the S/390 ones. :mrgreen:

Ordinarily I would setup a 32G card, but I'm planning on tracking down a 64G card if they exist or even a 128G card for this activity. :!:
My Raspberry Pi Thinks It's a Mainframe!

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Been there done that on my B & my A+.

You can NOT run any current mainframe OS without getting sued by IBM. The latest you can run is 24-bit MVS 3.8 at about 1.7 MIPS.

I've got x3270 built for the RPi at https://github.com/DougieLawson/x3270-4-RaspberryPi
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:37 am

When I was first working on a S/260 with DOS, we had 4 diskdrives with a capactiy of 7.25MB each, so a bit less than30MB total.
On bigger systems, later it went to 29MB packs (2314 or equivalent). EVentually I was working with systems with 200MB packs.
Basically, in running S/360 and S/370, simulations, what the heck are you going to DO with gigabytes of storage? And bear in mind that for the S/360 and S/370 machines, the maximum real memory was 16MB.

Granted...it would be interesting to see a Pi running OS/MVT or OS/VS2, or even MVS.

asandford

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:08 pm

DougieLawson wrote: You can NOT run any current mainframe OS without getting sued by IBM. The latest you can run is 24-bit MVS 3.8 at about 1.7 MIPS.

I've got x3270 built for the RPi at https://github.com/DougieLawson/x3270-4-RaspberryPi
Although I haven't tried it, I thought the zLinux was OK.

I spent 10 years working on a real 4381...

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:29 pm

asandford wrote: Although I haven't tried it, I thought the zLinux was OK.

I spent 10 years working on a real 4381...
Linux on system Z is OK on Hercules, no idea how it performs. (I was the first person in the country to get that running on a R/390 system around the time that Marist got 30,000 Linux systems running on a single mainframe.)

Doctorwho8

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Hello!
I beg to differ all of you regarding what is possible versus what isn't possible regarding what can be run on it. Please visit the Hercules forums over on Yahoo Groups and you all see lively discussions regarding everything old, OS/360 to later releases. Some people have even managed to bamboozle IBM into letting them run later releases there primarily as a backup mechanism.

For my part I prefer VM/370 Release 6.

I'll wait until IBM recognizes the importance of the hobbyist license that almost saved the VMS families....
-------------------
Gregg
Doctor Who8

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 pm

What I've heard came directly from Mark Anzani VP of IBM zSeries after his court case against the Hercules developers for infringing IBM's licenced internal code. He took delight in explaining how his techie job turned into a paralegal job for 12 months

Return to “Advanced users”