pygmy_giant

Re: Cooling Ram + CPU

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm

No one's mentioned the peltier effect - you could construct the case out of 6 large peltier pannels powered from the pi's GPIO and then stick on comoposite copper/ally fins with a fan attached and fill it with mineral oil - job done.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Lob0426

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 am

pygmy_giant wrote:No one's mentioned the peltier effect - you could construct the case out of 6 large peltier pannels powered from the pi's GPIO and then stick on comoposite copper/ally fins with a fan attached and fill it with mineral oil - job done.
The fan would be almost too much for the GPIO to supply, neverless the rest of it. Are ally fins (allies from Finland?) better than copper alloy fins. And why a fan rather than a pump for the mineral oil. I just do not know what that comoposite stuff is either. Is that like comoposite Video? something new for RasPi HuH. ;) :lol:
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Vostrox

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 am

Lob0426 wrote:
pygmy_giant wrote:No one's mentioned the peltier effect - you could construct the case out of 6 large peltier pannels powered from the pi's GPIO and then stick on comoposite copper/ally fins with a fan attached and fill it with mineral oil - job done.
The fan would be almost too much for the GPIO to supply, neverless the rest of it. Are ally fins (allies from Finland?) better than copper alloy fins. And why a fan rather than a pump for the mineral oil. I just do not know what that comoposite stuff is either. Is that like comoposite Video? something new for RasPi HuH. ;) :lol:
I've got a 40mm fan attached to the GPIO 5v, and it only consumes around 110mA! Peltier coolers use rediculous amounts of power by the way... I have one on my desktop in case the temperature rockets, it consumes 200W!
On my raspi, I get 17 degrees C just using ram sinks and the 40mm fan bowing air at them... overclocked to 923MHZ!

joaonl

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I guess it depends on where it will be used. Mine yesterday was compiling for 4 straight hours, i could still touch it no problem.

AndrewS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:44 pm

guidol wrote:
Ray_GTI-R wrote: Copper core/heatpipes + aluminium fins. Where have I seen that before?
I had seen that on a Pentium & Ahtlon-Cooler, but they arent in the size of a Raspberry Chip :-(
The cooler on my Intel i5 is bigger than the entire RaspberryPi ;)

RaTTuS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:17 pm

http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/product-14 ... ling_.html
I've got one of those .....
it could get tested on the RPi...
ummm
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

super-6-1

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

as far as i have done heat test. Nothing on the r-pi gets over 120f (46 or 47 c ) so i don't see the point in a fan or heat sink. This is the same cpu my old phone. Arm cpu's are ment for heat and self cooling.

zardoz99

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:25 am

I used these from Ebay. They have a quite large surface area and seem to make one heck of a difference to the heat being dissipated via the USB connector.

My philosophy is that if electronics run hot, they needs cooling.

Lob0426

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:07 pm

I used some 12x12x12mm aluminum heat sinks with thermal tape. One on the SoC and one on the LAN9512. I used a 8.5x8.5x8mm on RG2. My USB ports do not get warm anymore. I can feel warmth at the tip of these heatsinks, so they are removing heat.

So many people are just willing to fight over whether they are needed. If you do not think they are needed then don't put them on. :D I want them so they are there. When I install the RasPi into the WRT54GS router I may not have room for them. The router board turns out quite a bit of heat so we will see if heat can become an issue here in a few weeks when I get the next two RasPii I have ordered. I believe I will have to be looking for some low profile heatsinks in the end. Too each his own. :mrgreen:

Lob0426

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 am

RaTTuS wrote:
http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/product-14 ... ling_.html
I've got one of those .....
it could get tested on the RPi...
ummm
It draws 4A. A bit much for the GPIO, or any available 5v PSU. And it is 3.7v so right in between 5v and 3.3v. You could power it for a very short time off of a Lithium Polymer. :mrgreen:

gigahertz

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:31 pm

this might be a bit random but i just wanted to share a pic of what i did to my Pi

the heatsinks are from an old Third party graphics card cooler i found at work ;)

ricardforner

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:58 am

And the cooler of my RasPi...

-----
1x RasPi Model B // 32 GB Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10

prokrypt

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 am

I strapped a Pi onto my heatsink :mrgreen:

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:57 am

That's too small. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

recantha

Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 am

Anyone know if I can run a small fan off the gpio?
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

timmah

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Yes, a small chipset fan can be ran off the gpio. Use pins #1, and #3 forgive the blurry cell phone shot.. but here is my setup..

Antimidas

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:28 pm

payne747 wrote:It's going to take some getting used to running a device without any cooling, the gamer in me just wants to start designing the worlds smallest water cooling unit ;)
I want one! Thought about configuring several of this in a mini Cray XMP configuration with plexiglass doors and naming it "bubbles". http://www.craysupercomputers.com/image ... thered.jpg Now if only there would be a good way to grid them...

reiuyi

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 pm

AndrewS wrote:Do people fit heatsinks to their mobile phones too? ;)
Yes, cellphones typically use their casing as RF/EMC shielding and heat dissipation :D

Some phone manufacturers have learned the hard way that bad heat dissipation, non-reflective screens, sunlight and lithium batteries don't mix very well. In the past, there have been numerous cases of phones catching fire or otherwise cause damage. Fortunately raspi is not susceptible to any of this as it doesn't have a li-ion battery

charleslinquist

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:48 pm

When I started running my pi at 1GHz, I noticed that it was getting a bit warm. I had a few heatsinks lying around the lab, as well as some thermal epoxy. Now the chip runs cool.

Attached is a picture.
Attachments
Raspberry Pi with heatsinks.JPG
Raspberry Pi with heatsinks.JPG (24.61 KiB) Viewed 7692 times

pygmy_giant

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:52 am

If you use a metal toast rack as a heat sink then you can also keep your toast warm.
Ostendo ignarus addo scientia.

Vostrox

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 am

pygmy_giant wrote:If you use a metal toast rack as a heat sink then you can also keep your toast warm.
I like the way this man thinks!
:idea: With the new Rev.2 board coming out soon, has anyone else had a 'burning' desire to use the mounting holes to attach a nice custom waterblock?
Looks like they've removed the JTAG connectors, so it should be easy to mill a copper block for both chips! Overkill much? ;)

rilski

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:51 am

Copper heatsinks or not, a must for the Raspi! :)

matthijsfh

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 am

Hai,

My both PI's will stop working when enclosed!! (1 from FARNELL, 1 from RS COMPONENTS)

I added heatsinks and now they run 24/7 without any issues. So, there is really something going on with respect to overheating and stability.

As overkill I added also a fan. Just to be sure my webserver will continue to run even on hot days.

Greetings Matthijs

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am

Both must be defective, or something else must be up! PI's do NOT need cooling!

RaTTuS

Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am

matthijsfh wrote:Hai,

My both PI's will stop working when enclosed!! (1 from FARNELL, 1 from RS COMPONENTS)

I added heatsinks and now they run 24/7 without any issues. So, there is really something going on with respect to overheating and stability.

As overkill I added also a fan. Just to be sure my webserver will continue to run even on hot days.

Greetings Matthijs
what is your ambient temp?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Advanced users”