supertramp1966

Teather phone to RPI to create a network? Is it possible.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:24 pm

I have been trying to solve a situation I have! I have a Unlimited Data plan on my cell (true unlimited!!) I just moved to a place with no Land based Internet! Except for Verizon DSL @ .09 - 1.2 down for $80 a month YUCK! I Own a RPI 3b+ and 2 RPI 4 2 Gig, I want to get another phone just to teather via USB but don't want to drop $300+ on a Mofi device! Is there a way to teather a Android phone via USB to a RPI to create a network? I ultimately want to use the Ethernet Port to connect to mesh router because several devices I have are Ethernet only like my Phillips Hue Hub And obi Google voice box. Thanks

epoch1970

Re: Teather phone to RPI to create a network? Is it possible.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:41 pm

"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

supertramp1966

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:00 am

So now that I know it's possible is there any information out there on how to set it up in my situation? I found this article but I'm not sure if it's what I need? https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=214536

Any help pointing me to a How To would be great :) plus what I found wasn't really a How To just that someone managed to set up something similar.
I am really Rusty with my Linux!

supertramp1966

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 am

That works but I still need to use the Ethernet to connect to a Router basically I want to use a PI as a modem like the Mofi devices they let you connect a Android or iOS Phone to a USB port and then you can connect a Router to one of it's Ethernet Ports acting as a bridge between the phone and the router.

Return to “Advanced users”