cinema4dmad

Raspbmc USB/CEC questions

Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello,

This is my first post as i literally can't find the information i'm after anywhere else...

Using raspbmc with USB, i've seen videos on youtube and it looks very smooth compared to SD, Will USB be faster than a class 4 SD card? I've got an 8gb sandisk cruzer blade usb 2.0, Does the raspberry pi support usb 3.0 or would it still be quicker with 2.0?

Also, I have a samsung 42" plasma, It has anynet+ and i'm using the hdmi port from the side of the TV but it isn't finding my raspberry pi, this is the first time i've ever tried using CEC and was just wondering if anyone knew why it isn't showing up? I'm on the lastest raspbmc build

Sometimes when i'm loading a video the screen will go black and i wont have any audio but reloading it a few times sorts this out (going through smb shares) Could this be because currently i'm using a Standard Micro sd card in an sd adapter which isn't SDHC?

Thank you, Not to sure if i've posted in the right section but this seemed more promising than the other pages.

efflandt

Re: Raspbmc USB/CEC questions

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 am

USB flash devices may be faster than the card slot in the Pi. Although, if you use a USB hard drive it likely either has to have its own power, or be on a powered USB hub. I don't have any movie "files", but Raspbmc plays SD internet videos smoothly, as is, if you can find any add-ons that work (PBS works).

For hardware video acceleration you may need an MPEG-2 license (available from raspberrypi.org).

As far as CEC, I don't think it necessarily means that your TV would find your Pi as a DVR device or anything. It means that your TV remote control can do things in Raspbmc. Although, all I have figured out for mine (LG Simplink) is that remote cursor keys can scroll menus up/down/across, and can select with Enter. But I have not found anything yet to go Back or Home, so I still need a mouse.

drgeoff

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:51 am

cinema4dmad wrote:Could this be because currently i'm using a Standard Micro sd card in an sd adapter which isn't SDHC?
A microSD to SD adapter is purely passive - no electronics inside. It just changes the form factor and reroutes the contacts. Thus SD or SDHC is irrelevant as far as the adaptor is concerned. And AFAIK, the RPi cannot determine if the card is physically SD or microSD in an adaptor. The RPi can differentiate between a SD and a SDHC card (of whatever mix of SD and microSD physical sizes).

shalo

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:29 pm

efflandt wrote: As far as CEC, I don't think it necessarily means that your TV would find your Pi as a DVR device or anything. It means that your TV remote control can do things in Raspbmc. Although, all I have figured out for mine (LG Simplink) is that remote cursor keys can scroll menus up/down/across, and can select with Enter. But I have not found anything yet to go Back or Home, so I still need a mouse.
For some reason not all the buttons seem to work on my LG tv either. Here is a solution that applies to CEC in general. You copy a template and create a custom keymap named remote.xml in /.xmc/userdata/keymaps

You neglect to mention it but the stop button also works and I find redundant in xbmc. So I replace the stop button with a back button:
In the xml under keymap, global, remote: change <stop>Stop</stop> to <stop>Back</stop>

Now in menus, it will function as back and during playback also it will bring up the osd. Instead of global, you can put the entries elsewhere so that a button does a different function during playback than it does while in the menus.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Mo ... yboard.xml for more info.

cinema4dmad

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Well i figured out why my TV wasn't finding the raspberry pi... I was using my girlfriends HDMI lead and she said she only paid a £1 for it so i went out and bought a 1.3a HDMI cable and it found it :)

Will be trying USB on it tomorrow as not many people can tell me the difference so i will just report back whether or not it's a good idea or just easier to stick with SD

Return to “Advanced users”