Youredone82

Code a program to help online reputation

Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 pm

hey all Im a newbie but I have some bad press online and I wanted to create a script that could automatically every hour, open web browser, search my name, and go to directed webpages.
is this even possible?
is the coding intensive?
no time frame on this so.
Alexander Kravitz

hippy

Re: Code a program to help online reputation

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:41 pm

You wouldn't need to open a browser. You could download the pages you were interested in directly into your program, scan the downloaded page for your name and respond appropriately.

By keeping copies of the previous page downloaded you could probably determine new mentions and ignore previous mentions.

None of that should be that difficult to do.

Youredone82

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply,

could you point me in the right starting point?
so your saying I could just keep the page address in the code, and just have it open them once every hour? But that wouldn't push my name down on Google results would it?
I am trying to push the bad down on Google and bring up the good- sorry to re-explain if you got me the first time and its me who,s not understanding you correctly.
Alexander Kravitz

PhatFil

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:16 pm

probably start looking here http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual ... index.html

then when you have a command to retrieve your good press page you can look at using cron/crontab to schedule executing your command on a regular basis.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJQ5 ... cgCe8rc2Q-

hippy

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Youredone82 wrote:
could you point me in the right starting point?
This would be my starting point ...

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python2

import socket
import urllib

PAGE = "https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50731010"
NAME = "Trump"

socket = urllib.urlopen(PAGE)
text = socket.read()
socket.close()

n = text.count(NAME)
print("There were "+str(n)+" mentions of '"+NAME+"'")
print("In "+PAGE)
That's very basic proof of concept code and it doesn't work for all sites, such as trying to read the page we're on here. Google and this forum block downloading, but that could perhaps be worked round using a User Agent setting. Or one can create a WebKit browser to grab pages that way.

You would probably have to extract the text out from the HTML mark-up and do something better for the actual searching of a name so you avoid false positives.
Youredone82 wrote:
I am trying to push the bad down on Google and bring up the good
I have no idea about that, how you would do it or even if it could be done.

I'm guessing you want to do a Google search for your name and find websites which mention it and whatever this 'bad ' is. That should be possible by parsing the page text, finding your name and the link which references it.

echmain

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Seems like it would be easier to improve your online reputation by simply being a better person online.

thagrol

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Youredone82 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 pm
hey all Im a newbie but I have some bad press online and I wanted to create a script that could automatically every hour, open web browser, search my name, and go to directed webpages.
is this even possible?
is the coding intensive?
no time frame on this so.
Is the "bad press online" justified? (Not expecting you to answer that in a public forum)

If it isn't, and you can prove that, your best approach is to contact the website/social media/forum/search provider hosting it and ask for it to be taken down. If it is, or you can't prove that it isn't, what you're attempting could be construed as fraud.

The approach you're planning to take is unlikely to make any difference as search rankings depend on much more than how many times a page has been downloaded and the search provider likely won't even know that.

If you follow a link in your web browser on the search result page the search provider might know about that (and keep a count of how many folks have done so) but only if you haven't disabled cookies etc. Even then it's doubtfull that your access will be counted every time as it'll always come from the same IP address.

Downloading the raw html search result, parsing it locally to extract the link is not the same as clicking said link in a browser.

If your approach worked no one would be able to use a search engine or access websites as they'd both be DDoSed by all the bot farms trying to improve search rankings this way.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

bjtheone

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Youredone82 wrote:
I am trying to push the bad down on Google and bring up the good- sorry to re-explain if you got me the first time and its me who,s not understanding you correctly.
If you are trying to game Google's ranking algorithms I suggest you just move on. Providing value and positive reviews will get you much much further.

There are expensive firms full of experienced programmers trying to do this and the equivalent programmers at Google "defending" their algorithms. There are no simple ways to game your rankings.

Apologies if I have have misunderstood your issue. If that is the case, perhaps attempt to explain further what reputation you are trying to alter.

Spidering the web, looking for specific mentions of your name or product is a completely different exercise.

PhatFil

Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:08 pm

best approach imho is avoid sites and services like facepalm and twater and focus on interest based online communities where you can both learn and help people towards a goal with constructive input and support..

my ol mam had good advice which predated the web but stands good regardless, and that is if you dont have anything good or positive to say KEEP QUIET!

Return to “Advanced users”